Scania K230UB CNG Demonstrator (BUS 490)

Started by Snorzac, February 09, 2010, 11:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King of Buses

490 was out yesterday on a 312 From Tuggy.

Snorzac

Nothing unusual, the driver is a member, it does the same runs every day.

CNG

I got a few pics of 490 today, however they are on film so they have not been developed, my camera comes from the stone age.

smitho

490 resumed doing regular services on Thursday 15th July...

PoweredByCNG

Performance curves for the Scania OC9 G04 5-cylinder engine.

Note: Attachment has expired.

The Love Guru

They obviously use a different formula for Nm, as a Cummins and Scania with the same outputs don't pull the same! I think they took the 1100Nm reading with the emissions controls turned off.

PoweredByCNG

Quote from: Chris_Guru on August 11, 2010, 05:44:26 PM
They obviously use a different formula for Nm, as a Cummins and Scania with the same outputs don't pull the same! I think they took the 1100Nm reading with the emissions controls turned off.

Performance curves are provided for full-load only.  Partial load performance will be significantly different but having said that, ~550Nm at idle is very poor and similar to what you'd get from the IVECO Cursor 8 engine used on the Irisbus Citellis.  Mercedes-Benz's gas engine in comparison puts out 1000Nm (185kW) or 1200Nm (240kW) at 650rpm.

Bus 400

Bus 490 has been sitting next to Belconnen Workshop for the past week. I wonder how much trouble they'll go to, when they eventually get it out.

Snorzac

Apparently it has shat a gearbox, seems to be a common thing at the moment (464, 709 and now 490!!)

PoweredByCNG

Scania has publicly released more information about the new 9.3-litre CNG engines:

Press release with engine diagrams: http://www.scanianewsroom.com/2010/09/22/new-gas-engines-for-trucks-and-buses-diesel-like-performance-and-modular-design/

Scania OC9 G04 270 performance curves:

Scania OC9 G05 305 performance curves:

Snorzac

490 now back at Tuggeranong but not ready to re enter service

Snorzac

I have heard from a very reliable source that tomorrow will be 490s last day in ACTION service (for now anyway), so I suggest if you are yet to ride it, go looking for it tomorrow.

lukeo25

i've seen it in service every morning in woden, it'll be sad to see the "albino" scania leave canberra. its a good thing i've caught it a few times :)

Sir

Buzz Killington

I never got it either, although I do recall one day I decided to drive to work and got home just as my usual bus home went past.. and yep, it was 490.

CNG

Quote from: Metrobus on February 16, 2011, 05:42:30 PM
I have heard from a very reliable source that tomorrow will be 490s last day in ACTION service (for now anyway), so I suggest if you are yet to ride it, go looking for it tomorrow.

Cya white whale.

Sir

Quote from: Metrobus on February 16, 2011, 05:42:30 PM

Well your source is wrong, sorry. I saw her today(18/2/11) at 4:15 doing a 315. The White whales LIVES!

p_stampy

Wouldn't she(?) have another month to go?

p_stampy

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 02, 2010, 05:27:35 PM
As first reported by Martin, 490 was in service today.

I spotted it in City around 1.30 this afternoon.

or maybe not, I can't read...

Bus 400

Well, according to http://www.rego.act.gov.au Bus 490 has just been registered to the 17th February 2012.

Buzz Killington

That's interesting. You'd think if it was moving on they would've renewed it for three months.

Buzz Killington

ACTION have told us that the trial of 490 has indeed been extended, with no end date at this point. They added that the trial has been "very positive".

Busnerd

Except for the bus shitting itself it seems to run fine all be it a bit slow...also the fact its a prototype means its bound to screw up

belcodriver

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 10, 2011, 04:54:32 PM
ACTION have told us that the trial of 490 has indeed been extended, with no end date at this point. They added that the trial has been "very positive".

They get a free bus, even if it spends half its life on the bricks what's not to like?

lukeo25

I noticed today that 490 has myway readers

p_stampy

Quote from: lukeo25 on April 08, 2011, 12:36:50 PM
I noticed today that 490 has myway readers

Maybe because the old readers won't be working from now on? I have no idea, just a guess...

Barry Drive

No, 490 did not get the MyWay set up initially because it was not expected to be in service past February.

Sir

Still here. Doing a 31 today at about 8:40am. Looking a bit dirty.

Sir

Looks like it is doing the 31 each morning heading towards Kaleen. Gets to the hockey center around 8:40am. Theres a chance if anyone is intrested, but if it doesn't come don't hold me too it.

Buzz Killington

The Love Guru

Yep, it has been out quite a lot lately.

Sir

Still doing the 31 each morning as i posted above.

Buzz Killington

Thanks guys. Questions were raised on Twitter and I hadn't seen it around myself.

Ed

It's got rego til February next year, so it'll be here for a while yet.

Snorzac

It went past my house at 11pm last night on the last 905.... As well as the 31 in does a 31?S (8 or 9) into the City about 1415

Bus 400

Bus 490 looks to of been withdrawn from ACTION with no ACTION logos visible & the rear number plate missing.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

As of 2 weekends ago it was, but I suspect it left when Bus 506 was delivered.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 16, 2012, 08:02:08 PM
Is it still at Tuggeranong?

I'm pretty sure it was around all (or most) of last week; haven't noticed it this week.

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 16, 2012, 08:02:08 PM
Is it still at Tuggeranong?

Just drove past Tuggeranong Depot & Bus 490 is no longer there.

Buzz Killington

Will be interesting to see where it turns up next

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 19, 2012, 06:07:38 PM
Will be interesting to see where it turns up next

Has headed up to Sydney....and may be a Koala crushing plant up there????

Buzz Killington

'Bus 400' contacted Scania to find out the fate of Bus 490 and has kindly sent through a copy of their response:

This unit was a long term factory field trail of the new CNG system on the 5 cyl 9lt engine that has now been introduced to the worldwide market in both trucks and buses.

It was given the nick-name of "Koala" by the R&D department in Sweden who like to personalize these things.

The 2 year trial period was completed in June and the bus was removed from service and is now at our Head Office in Melbourne.

As with all factory field trial units, this bus has been decommissioned and the relevant trial components (engine, fuel system, transmission, engine control units) removed and sent back to Sweden for review by the R&D department gurus.

The rest of the bus is being "scrapped" and we are utilizing some chassis components in out technical training school and some of the body parts will end up with various bus operators for spares.

So, alas, this particular Koala is dead.

Bidgee

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bidgee on December 29, 2012, 07:51:54 PM
What a waste of a good bus body.  :(
Obviously you aren't familiar with Customs earlier work in the 90's. The bodies they build now are cheap plastic rubbish compared to the older stuff. It was all downhill after the 510/550 series.

Bidgee

It's more the frame than the plastic parts that is the waste. Frame still had some years left in it.