New Artics for ACTION

Started by Barry Drive, February 18, 2010, 10:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

There haven't been sufficient Tuggeranong Scania artics available in the afternoons of the school holidays for artic shifts to be covered without resorting to Renault artics.

Buzz Killington

That explains why a few runs that have artics during school holidays have had standards instead..

Buzz Killington

522 was involved in an accident on the Parkway yesterday morning whilst operating a 785. Couldn't see much damage to the bus but I was heading in the opposite direction.

Bus 400

Buses 530 & 531 have been spotted in service this week.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 31, 2013, 09:19:33 PM
Buses 530 & 531 have been spotted in service this week.
Yes, in use on Career Expo charters on Wednesday.

The Love Guru

531 was sighed on Intertown duties on Monday morning Smitho

King of Buses

I got 531 multiple times last week.

Bus 400

Bus 533 arrived yesterday.
Bus 534 arrived today.

Bus 400

Bus 535 arrived at Woden Depot.

Barry Drive

535 is the latest is service.

belcodriver

Drove on of them in the wet for the first time not so long ago and they are not very grippy. Turning left onto Nettlefold from Josephson at what I thought was a moderate speed the trailer went sideways. Am I correct in thinking that the old artics were centre-axle drive and the new ones rear-axle drive with hydraulic pistons connecting the front and rear sections to stop constant jackknifing? Is the reason for the slidiness that these pistons don't work so well?

The Love Guru

Renaults are driven by rear and middle axle.
Scanias just by the rear. The hydraulic system works fine. It's the peakyness of the engine that causes the issues as the Max torque surges and when it hits the pushing motion of the rear wheels overcomes the grip of the tyres of the Centre axle. They have stability control so once it slides it will cut power to the engine. It'll cause accidents at roundabouts if not carefully managed.

belcodriver

Quote from: The Love Guru on September 28, 2013, 03:06:08 PM
Renaults are driven by rear and middle axle.
Scanias just by the rear. The hydraulic system works fine. It's the peakyness of the engine that causes the issues as the Max torque surges and when it hits the pushing motion of the rear wheels overcomes the grip of the tyres of the Centre axle. They have stability control so once it slides it will cut power to the engine. It'll cause accidents at roundabouts if not carefully managed.

Never knew the Renaults were 6x4. Thanks for the answer.

ajw373

Quote from: belcodriver on September 28, 2013, 07:25:07 PM
Never knew the Renaults were 6x4. Thanks for the answer.

Nor did I. I knew they were centre drive, which is unusual for a rear engine bus, but this is the first time I have heard that the rears are also powered. Are you 100% sure about that Love Guru?

The Love Guru

I am 100% certain of it. It's part of reason for their withdrawal. The universal joints required under the turntable a very highly stressed and high maintenance components.
The Mercs before them were just pushers, MANs were a tractor+trailer setup. Only thing we haven't had here is the MAN with the rear engine and middle axle powered.

Barry Drive

537 arrived last week and 538 on Thursday. So that's it: all 33 now delivered.

Next question is whether they will withdraw all of the Renaults or will a few remain in service?

King of Buses

538 is now in service. Was on SR 526 this afternoon.

King of Buses

Another Name Saga sorry...

On board BUS.537 and on the rear, it has stickers stating that it is called 'Big Tex Howdy Folks'. Rather than the 'Flo Rider' suggested by the twitter account.

Similar to 517 stating that it is 'The Bennie' rather than 516 and the 'Gordon the Accordion' twitter name.

Any Ideas?  ???

Busnerd

Perhaps the old mechanic is up to his old naming tricks again