Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki
ACT Bus Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Routes and Timetables / Re: Network 2019 - the final version
« Last post by Bus 400 on Today at 08:26:55 PM »
A Mitchell Depot is actually in the pipeline, but nothing is likely to happen until Woden Depot reopens.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

« Last post by Busnerd on Today at 05:03:53 PM »
You'd be surprised about some of the dead running that exists for whatever reason, it is not exclusive to ACTION and happens in a number of private and government bus companies, not only limited to buses but trains as well.
« Last post by Northside on Today at 12:50:49 PM »
From how much money TC wasted on dead-runs due to poorly constructed shifts these past few years I'm sure a few extra unnecessary-for-everyone routes really wouldn't hurt that much.
I've lived in a few cities and have never seen any other city with so much dead running. In any other city (especially where buses are privatised), this simply doesn't happen. There would be no way in hell that a Fraser West run would return to a Tuggeranong depot.

Hopefully this new network addresses this. However, it would be more flexible if the rapid routes were less rigid - ie any run terminating in the city can simply run as an extra run on part of a rapid route to either Tuggers, Woden or Belco at little cost.

I'm also surprised they haven't seriously looked into opening a depot (even if just a very basic one) in Mitchell to avoid all the dead running between Gungahlin and Belco.
The Playground / Re: What bus did you get today?
« Last post by Snorzac on Today at 11:14:01 AM »
Yesterday-
487 (314)
476 (318)
I have identified it to being ex ACTION bus 688.

Hello
I havent posted in a very long time but I still have plenty of photos to share. I will start with what I saw on my school day trip to Sydney Olympic Park at the coach parking behind ANZ Stadium.

Thanks
-Murray
The Playground / Re: What bus did you get today?
« Last post by triumph on Yesterday at 11:35:09 PM »
352 (26)
968 (25)
343 (182)
663 (171)
945 (67)
122 (67)
348 (182)
« Last post by Toyota Camry on Yesterday at 10:49:10 PM »
From how much money TC wasted on dead-runs due to poorly constructed shifts these past few years I'm sure a few extra unnecessary-for-everyone routes really wouldn't hurt that much.
I have noticed some patterns in empty bus running; in one recent trip on the Tuggeranong Parkway, I passed around six buses heading north between the Glenloch Interchange and Kambah, this was around 2:45pm. These buses must be en-route between Tuggeranong Depot and the north side.

I am not sure what the longest dead run that currently occurs is; I am aware of empty runs between Fraser West and Tuggeranong Depot, which is a significant distance.

It could reduce dead running if driver changeovers were to occur en-route; for example, another run that occurs is that a blue rapid service will arrive at Lanyon Marketplace, then return empty to Tuggeranong Depot, whilst another bus will travel empty to Lanyon Marketplace at the same time and form a northbound blue rapid. Dead running could be reduced if drivers swapped on the in service bus at Tuggeranong Depot; this would also reduce expenditure on diesel fuel and fleet maintenance.
« Last post by Sylvan Loves Buses on Yesterday at 08:36:23 PM »
« Last post by Busfanatic101 on Yesterday at 04:25:32 PM »
Hume is an industrial suburb just like Mitchell and Fyshwick, although not as large, it should still have a service - at least once or twice each way a day. Like Gleneagles, the patronage is very small, but it should be considered due to the few patrons who do use it.
Patronage is low. Hence having a full day service is not viable, especially as it is out of the way. That does not mean having one or 2 services a day will work either, as in that case, chances are either the bus there or back at least, if not both, will not be when the majority of users would need it, hence they wouldn't catch the bus anyway (carpool, get a lift, uber, taxi), which would cut the low patronage even further making it even less viable. If they cut it, it will be inconvenient for some people but a small unheard minority. Ultimately, it is not a taxi service. Buses cost a lot to operate and need patronage to make it viable. Perhaps there is room for a private company using smaller more economical vehicles to fill in that gap. The Symonston motel could offer a shuttle service from the nearest 6 stop, as could TGA.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10