Scania Hate?

Started by Lockie, July 10, 2008, 10:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockie

I have noticed that many people (members of this forum, bus drivers, etc) have a hatred toward the Scania. Despite this, I have yet to see a post that actually address's the issues associated with this particular model of bus.

Could anyone shed some light for me?
(Apologies for my ignorance on this subject)

Busnerd

Most passengers and drivers hate them because they are slow and jerky.

However they are apparently very nice to drive plus they have very responsive smooth steering and brakes etc.

CanberraTransport

As a passenger, I don't mind the Scania L94UB's - but standing up on them is a nightmare.

The Love Guru

Most drivers are not in a position to be able to comment on particular faults in a vehicle on an open forum. If you have a 'chat' to the drivers on the bus you'll find they will be a lot more forthcoming with information!

Irisbus Rider

They're gutless, more or less, and the ZF boxes aren't the best in them.

I'd say the Irisbuses are worse.

Busnerd

Actually Scania recommend ZF to be used with their buses...so it's the best you'll get in them i'm afraid

Lockie

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 13, 2008, 01:14:51 PM

Yeah. I've heard some bus drivers talk about the Irisbuses before.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busnerd on July 13, 2008, 06:46:12 PM
Actually Scania recommend ZF to be used with their buses...so it's the best you'll get in them i'm afraid
Ah, hold on, I'm getting confused here, yeah.

As for the Scanias, look, the only bad things with them is the lack of power, poor suspension and the unreliability of them. Otherwise, as Busnerd said, the steering, brakes, etc are very good.

Busnerd

John,

The sydney scania gassies which are about fifteen years old fly and even operate better than diesel buses.

Irisbus Rider

I know that, it's almost a depressing reality.

Snorzac

What's wrong with the Irises. Despite smelling weird in my opinion and sounding horrible when there is something wrong with them I can't see anything wrong with the Irises. As for the Scanias the are peices of crap.

Buzz Killington

no back door for starters, plus they were designed for the NSW market..

Snorzac

No back door-that is not a problem. They can carry more people and go faster surely there is no bus worse than one of our scanias

belcodriver

Quote from: macca on August 06, 2008, 09:52:01 PM
No back door-that is not a problem. They can carry more people and go faster surely there is no bus worse than one of our scanias

It's a big problem when 50 people need to get off the same door as 50 other people need to get on.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: macca on August 06, 2008, 08:42:05 PM

What's wrong with the Irises. Despite smelling weird in my opinion and sounding horrible when there is something wrong with them I can't see anything wrong with the Irises. As for the Scanias the are peices of crap.

Ok, no fog lights, drivers cabin up too high, no rear door, inadequate heating, inadequate power, shitty suspension, difficulty taking PM out of ticket machine due to coin tray obstruction, constant strong smell of diesel, even in the drivers cabin. A few of those are ACTIONs fault, but still they are faults within the bus. There are more.....

Busnerd

No fog lights - it wasnt built for action, not the buses fault
No Rear door -  it wasnt built for action, not the buses fault
Inadequete heating - its thermo king, what do you expect
Inadequate power - compared to most new buses they hoon
Shitty suspension - yeah its a bit rough
PM Awkardness - saves drivers trying to cash up whilst driving = safer
Diesel smell - cant explain why but it is nnoying
Driver up to high - well wouldnt YOU rather look down on everyone instead of them on you

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busnerd on August 08, 2008, 01:58:55 AM
No fog lights - it wasnt built for action, not the buses fault
No Rear door -  it wasnt built for action, not the buses fault
Inadequete heating - its thermo king, what do you expect
Inadequate power - compared to most new buses they hoon
Shitty suspension - yeah its a bit rough
PM Awkardness - saves drivers trying to cash up whilst driving = safer
Diesel smell - cant explain why but it is nnoying
Driver up to high - well wouldnt YOU rather look down on everyone instead of them on you

I wasn't asking why they were all like that, I was saying they were like that.

As for the PM, you have to open the drivers door to get the PM out. It's a nuisance!
Having said that, I still like the Irisbuses. There's just a few things wrong with them.