Woden Transport Depot recommissioning / diesel MANs

Started by smitho, October 21, 2009, 11:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Noticed today work in progress to fence off the Workshops, refuelling area and Admin Building from the garages (bus sheds) - so it may be that the private leaseholders will continue to occupy these buildings for now, while ACTION resumes use of the garages for bus parking over coming months.

The 'Woden Transport Depot - Department of the Capital Territory' sign was still in place as of this am.

391 (?), 393 and 399 have been parked outside the bottom western shed @ Belco Depot each morning this week....there is an un-numbered, partially detailed MAN within the shed. 

Barry Drive

It's 392, not 391, that's parked outside. It might be 391 inside the shed as all buses from 394 onwards have had fleet numbers applied at Custom Coaches.

Bus 400

I did notice a glazier inside Woden Depot. A rumour is that the admin building at Woden Depot will be come the new radio room. This is mostly because it is a bit more central (once Molonglo expands) & with the other rumour being that drivers will sign on at Tuggeranong or Belconnen & then drive their own car to Woden & take the bus. But I suppose Woden will expand as Molonglo expands.

Wasn't there reports of 391 in service last week? If so then it wouldn't it of been 393?

smitho

Quote from: Martin on October 21, 2009, 12:44:08 PM
It's 392, not 391, that's parked outside. It might be 391 inside the shed as all buses from 394 onwards have had fleet numbers applied at Custom Coaches.
Yes, in that case I think you're right Martin - it must be 391 inside as I definitely saw 391's rear number plate this am...the second MAN bus in the shed with its rear visible through the side entrance had no number plate although it might have a fleet number at the front which wasn't visible to me. If I have time tomorrow am, I'll check and report back.

Bus 400

smitho

Snorzac

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 21, 2009, 06:49:36 PM
I did notice a glazier inside Woden Depot. A rumour is that the admin building at Woden Depot will be come the new radio room. This is mostly because it is a bit more central (once Molonglo expands) & with the other rumour being that drivers will sign on at Tuggeranong or Belconnen & then drive their own car to Woden & take the bus. But I suppose Woden will expand as Molonglo expands.

Wasn't there reports of 391 in service last week? If so then it wouldn't it of been 393?

What is it with you an Molonglo?

Bus 400

As an RFS Officer I've been given a lot of info on Molonglo

belcodriver

I did notice a glazier inside Woden Depot. A rumour is that the admin building at Woden Depot will be come the new radio room. This is mostly because it is a bit more central (once Molonglo expands)

I guess it's possible the radio room will move again - 3rd move in 5-6 years - but what's centrality got to do with it? The radio is clearer in Tuggeranong than Gungahlin yet Gungahlin is closer to Belconnen depot.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 21, 2009, 09:10:50 PM
As an RFS Officer I've been given a lot of info on Molonglo
Yay? Ummm, Good for you? Hows about a medal? I believe Lemons question is basically 'Why do you have an obsession with Molongolo?'

I noticed the fence the other day, and was sad to see it blocked off the buildings. Ah well, atleast it is being used for its original purpose!

Bus 400

Quote from: belcodriver on October 21, 2009, 09:15:12 PM
I guess it's possible the radio room will move again - 3rd move in 5-6 years - but what's centrality got to do with it? The radio is clearer in Tuggeranong than Gungahlin yet Gungahlin is closer to Belconnen depot.

It makes it easier to connect in with the TRN radio network that is in the ACT. Woden Depot will be used as a repeater that will receive the message from Fairbairn & pass it onto Mt Stromlo,which will pass the message onto Mt Coree or the RFS Radios.
Quote from: Sir Pompously on October 21, 2009, 09:22:20 PM
I believe Lemons question is basically 'Why do you have an obsession with Molongolo?'

I've been living & breathing Molonglo for quite a while & it is all new & (eventually) all pretty

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 21, 2009, 09:39:33 PM
It makes it easier to connect in with the TRN radio network that is in the ACT. Woden Depot will be used as a repeater that will receive the message from Fairbairn & pass it onto Mt Stromlo,which will pass the message onto Mt Coree or the RFS Radios.

ACTIONs "radio" system is not a radio style system at all. There are no repeaters used, more a similtanious announcment from all the base stations. The systems works very similiarly to a mobile phone network (well, identical technology actually).

Barry Drive

I did hear or read somewhere about the 'Communications Centre' being moved, so this does make sense.

the other rumour being that drivers will sign on at Tuggeranong or Belconnen & then drive their own car to Woden & take the bus.
This on the other hand doesn't make sense.

Bus 400

Quote from: Martin on October 22, 2009, 02:49:55 PM
I did hear or read somewhere about the 'Communications Centre' being moved, so this does make sense.
This on the other hand doesn't make sense.

The story that keeps on popping up is that Woden will be a satelite depot. But what I don't get is the story that RedEx buses will be stored at Woden & drivers will get paid to drive their own car to Woden Depot to pick the bus up & then to dead run to Gungahlin to start a run to Kingston.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 22, 2009, 04:23:05 PM
The story that keeps on popping up is that Woden will be a satelite depot. But what I don't get is the story that RedEx buses will be stored at Woden & drivers will get paid to drive their own car to Woden Depot to pick the bus up & then to dead run to Gungahlin to start a run to Kingston.

I can tell you that this will NOT be the case. At this stage, it is hard to see Woden being more than a storage facility. What you are suggesting will not work, as there will need to be at the very least a couple of mechanics and a supervisor based at the depot. The cost would out weigh any advantage of having another depot. I beleive that Woden will be used to store buses that are excess to operational requirements for the time being.

smitho

I understand that the plans for Woden Depot involve progressive recommissioning over a period of years. The initial function would be as a bus storage facility, but also becoming a layover facility as the current layover space south of the Hellenic Club and adjoining the Woden Interchange is sold off.

Without a Starters Office, any shifts commencing from Woden Depot would mean that staff would sign on elsewhere. 

belcodriver

Quote from: Chris_Guru on October 22, 2009, 09:22:20 AM
ACTIONs "radio" system is not a radio style system at all. There are no repeaters used, more a similtanious announcment from all the base stations. The systems works very similiarly to a mobile phone network (well, identical technology actually).

Doesn't it use one of the mobile networks?

Irisbus Rider

So, Woden will be a 'Satellite' Depot?

Metro Tas operate from 10 satellite depots, where the depots are nothing more than an overnight layover, and it seems to work for them.

The Love Guru

Quote from: belcodriver on October 23, 2009, 11:15:06 AM
Doesn't it use one of the mobile networks?

It does, but it is not a mobile phone carrier that provides the infrastructure. I have been told and if i recall correctly it is a GSM type system that is provided by a contractor to the ACT govt for their use with ACTION & Emergency services.

smitho

Noticed yesterday that the ACT Government has affixed one of those standard, cheap looking ACT Government sheet metal signs to the brick wall outside the Woden Depot, identifying the site as the Woden Business Park, managed by the ACT Govt Property Group...

- that seems to confirm that the Depot won't reopen as a full Depot at this stage, but will be more like the old Ainslie Depot (which relied on Kingston Depot for refuelling and workshop functions).......