Utilisation of old buses

Started by Toyota Camry, June 24, 2018, 11:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyota Camry

Myself and some of the others in my office who use public transport have noticed that the "old" buses, being the orange Renault PR100.2 model, are still very common on the streets of Canberra at any time on weekdays; this includes at midday and late into the night.

I have read that these buses only make up around 66 vehicles out of a fleet of over 400; it therefore seems unusual that the oldest vehicles without cooling or wheelchair access are being used when newer buses would be spare.

It would be beneficial for the benefit of Canberrans with disabilities, and for all passengers in summer, for it to become policy to only use these buses when absolutely necessary; this would mean only utilising them during peak hours. This is what is undertaken by bus operators in Sydney; it is unusual that it does not happen here.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm pretty sure that was the original intent anyway, but due to the way shifts are made and the lack of choice for drivers at any one time, most of the 'EURO' designated shifts have no choice but to use the Renaults, cause of the numbers left when said drivers go out to start.

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 25, 2018, 03:04:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that was the original intent anyway, but due to the way shifts are made and the lack of choice for drivers at any one time, most of the 'EURO' designated shifts have no choice but to use the Renaults, cause of the numbers left when said drivers go out to start.

No reason it couldn't be scheduled to have a bus changeover mid shift.

Question is weather it is worth it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well funny enough, some drivers actually prefer the Renaults and Scanias to the Euros, so that plays a part in it too.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on August 16, 2018, 01:33:29 PM
Well funny enough, some drivers actually prefer the Renaults and Scanias to the Euros, so that plays a part in it too.
Drivers are paid to drive buses; not to play buses, meaning that is not relevant.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 16, 2018, 09:08:05 PM
Drivers are paid to drive buses; not to play buses, meaning that is not relevant.
What?
"You're getting paid so your preferences are irrelevant"...
I certainly won't be working for you.

A good workplace environment is a massive factor in whether an entity will perform.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on August 16, 2018, 10:41:54 PM
What?
"You're getting paid so your preferences are irrelevant"...
I certainly won't be working for you.
If you are ever interviewed by myself, with myself being an EL1; you will not be offered a position, as I will remember this comment. There have been past non-performers in my section who have spent their work time sitting on Facebook or smoking cigarettes; they fought for their right of preference, it was their preference that saw their downfall, the downfall of anybody can be avoided by not offering a right of preference, this means everybody is the winner at the end of the day.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on August 16, 2018, 11:24:47 PM
If you are ever interviewed by myself, with myself being an EL1; you will not be offered a position, as I will remember this comment. There have been past non-performers in my section who have spent their work time sitting on Facebook or smoking cigarettes; they fought for their right of preference, it was their preference that saw their downfall, the downfall of anybody can be avoided by not offering a right of preference, this means everybody is the winner at the end of the day.

I'm not talking about time wasters or the right to mess around.

At the end of the day, EL1 is just a number. In a healthy work environment, there is mutual respect between workers across all levels. Those higher up should be working to nurture those below them. What I see from your comment is a very top down approach. Eliminating the say of workers is not the way to get better results. Good workers will go elsewhere, and others aren't influenced by expectations or 'rules' anyway.

As for me, I'm one with very good work ethics and firm values. You know very little about me, my personality, passion, achievements, or recognition. To cast judgement on a single comment (which I still very much stand by) shows a very narrow mindset. In the end, it's not my loss. Workers are human, not assets; if you don't value your workers, or they don't feel valued, you will lose them, or at least those that have that option, which will often be your better workers.