Real-time information, peak hour bus stops

Started by 743, December 27, 2013, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Canberra Times today includes this article on real-time information and confusion at Route 757 bus stops near Dickson College.

Just a little bit of a beat-up in my opinion. Sir Pompously and myself have had our (similar) says at the bottom :D

Bus 400

A suggestion has been put forward tgat the SMS system shows you when the next service is due.  Rather than the next service within the next hour.
This could help to elevate this problem.

The Love Guru

Or you could just get people to read a bloody timetable and stop being spoon fed. Sick of the government having to alter systems for lazy morons. If you can't read a map then don't travel.

Bus 400

Well that suggestion was based on the fact that the system is called NXTBUS, not NXTBUS within the next hour.

Buzz Killington

Who just goes and sits at a bus stop and hopes that a bus might show up? How hard is it to read a timetable or even ring the info line before you leave and ask? It's common bloody sense.

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 28, 2013, 09:38:05 PM
This could help to elevate this problem.

Eleviate, unless your intent is to make the "problem" worse.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 28, 2013, 09:38:05 PM
A suggestion has been put forward that the SMS system shows you when the next service is due.  Rather than the next service within the next hour.
This could help to elevate (sic) this problem.
I think this suggestion has merit. It only needs so show the next service if there are none due within the hour.

Also, the word is alleviate.

Another way to fix this problem would be for some bus spotters to print up their own timetables and start sticking them to bus stops.

Bus 400

Or the locals like someone has done on Streeton Dr, Stirling.
With both sides of the timetable shown & (if my memory serves me correct) a full network map.

Blame the new phones auto correct on any spelling mistakes.

smitho

Understand that during the Guy Thurston era, ACTION had a policy of having timetables displayed at all operational commuter bus stops; didn't quite reach full coverage, but things improved significantly during those years.

aidenh37

Quote from: The Love Guru on December 28, 2013, 10:58:26 PM
Or you could just get people to read a bloody timetable and stop being spoon fed. Sick of the government having to alter systems for lazy morons. If you can't read a map then don't travel.

Good on you!