Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Sir Pompously

Barry Drive

Supabarn have launched their "local" store model by taking over Florey IGA. It's now known as Supa Express. Don't know of any other stores.

UPDATE: Florey is the only one according to the website

Buzz Killington

The Gymea store was previously badged as Supabarn Express Gymea, but that appears to have changed.

Buzz Killington

IGA at Watson is now also a Supabarn Express.

Wonder if we're going to see more stores convert..

Buzz Killington

This morning's Canberra Times mentions that the supermarket at Crace will be a Supabarn Express

Bus 400

Quote from: Buzz Killington on May 27, 2012, 10:24:10 PM
IGA at Watson is now also a Supabarn Express.

Wonder if we're going to see more stores convert..

Just for a member here, according to http://supabarn.com.au/locations.php the shops at Florey is now a Supa Express. It was formerly an IGA.

Snorzac

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 15, 2012, 03:57:19 PM
Supabarn have launched their "local" store model by taking over Florey IGA. It's now known as Supa Express. Don't know of any other stores.

UPDATE: Florey is the only one according to the website

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 30, 2012, 09:22:41 PM
the shops at Florey is now a Supabarn Express. It was formerly an IGA.
The Florey store is actually called "Supa Express" (as stated previously), yet the Watson store is listed on the website as "Supabarn Express". Odd.

Buzz Killington

The Gymea store used to be badged as Supabarn Express too, although the signage at Watson does say Supa Express.

Not sure that I like the 'SupaExpress' name. 'Supabarn Express' is much more clear about the brand.

Bus 400

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on May 30, 2012, 10:54:26 PM
The Florey store is actually called "Supa Express" (as stated previously), yet the Watson store is listed on the website as "Supabarn Express". Odd.

While out & about in Belconnen this afternoon, I popped into Supa Express Florey, on the top of my reciept is "SupaBarn Express FLOREY." At the bottom of the receipt it has "Thankyou For Shopping at SUPABARN FLOREY." So someone screwed up a bit.

Barry Drive

Kaleen IGA (Gwydir Square) is now Kaleen Express. Just "express", not "SupaExpress", even though it's still fairly obviously a member of the SupaBarn group.

Buzz Killington

Weird. Maybe to avoid confusion with the full-line Supabarn at Kaleen?

Barry Drive

and/or to prevent people from complaining about two stores from the same group in close proximity as being bad for competition.

Bus 400

For the past month, the tax dodge (o I mean supermarket) in the Mitchell Retail Centre has been closed. The shelves have been 50-75% empty for the past year. It even had minimal alcohol in a suburb full of trades.

In other news (I don't think it has been mentioned before), who has noticed that despite "The G" having signage changed to call it "Gungahlin Village" there are still radio ad's calling it "The G".

smitho

At long last, The Powers That Be have fixed the largish KAMBAH VILLAGE sign which faces out on to Drakeford Drive.

From memory, it was the "M" in Kambah which went walkabout many, many months ago.

Bus 400

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 08, 2012, 02:16:50 PM
In other news (I don't think it has been mentioned before), who has noticed that despite "The G" having signage changed to call it "Gungahlin Village" there are still radio ad's calling it "The G".

After this post on Sunday, MIX 106.3 actually advertised it as "Gungahlin Village"

Buzz Killington

Another Supabarn Express - Richardson

Bus 400

The biggest supermarket in Canberra will open on Thursday at Coles Gungahlin.

Busnerd

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on July 24, 2012, 08:48:04 AM
That doesn't make much sense...

Your right it doesn't make sense, but that's how they have been advertising it, like it's new, when it is an enlargement/refurb.

Now as I understand it when Wollies at the airport opened they were saying it was the largest supermarket in Australia, which would now make Coles at the G (or what ever they call it now) the largest.

smitho

How you define "largest" is a moot point.....I guess the Gungahlin claim is based on floor area.

The Big W at Woden Plaza has held the claim to have the largest turnover per square metre of retail space of any Big W in the country.

Bus 400

Woolworth's Charnwood is due for an upgrade this year.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on July 25, 2012, 07:11:29 PM
Woolworth's Charnwood is due for an upgrade this year.

Has that been formally approved as yet? If so is it what the originally wanted, ie expanding out back?

Bus 400

Quote from: ajw373 on July 25, 2012, 07:17:00 PM
Has that been formally approved as yet? If so is it what the originally wanted, ie expanding out back?

I'll make some enquiries, but as far as my source is aware it is only renovations.

Bus 400

Barry Drive

And the next member of the Supa Barn group is: The Spence Grocer. The former Friendly Grocer (which closed down) has re-opened - no mention of Supa Barn or SupaExpress but has the same external appearance.

Bus 400

Bus 400

WIN News reports that Coles Click & Collect has arrived at Belconnen.

ajw373

Saw the collection point at the Shell servo near Bunnings the other day. Had wondered how long since it started.

Also little OT but in a similar vane the new Aus Post shop in Civic has a similar system for collection of packages.

Busnerd

Here is a full list of 'Click & Collect' locations nationwide which lists it as Coles Express Belconnen (under NSW)

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CMLForwardViewCmd?viewName=PickTownView&langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10001

and apparently the link doesn't work :(

ajw373

Indeed the link doesn't work, but when you follow through and click manually it is good to see that Belconnen is considered part of NSW.

ajw373

Noticed that Woolies at Kippax now has the new style signage inside and out (don't recall see a DA for the outside ones). Interestingly the grog shop has been branded a BWS. Don't recall any other recent Woolworths makeovers in the ACT changing the grog shop to BWS, all I've seen have remained as Woolworths Liquor.

lukeo25

Mawson has outside signage changed and is now the new logo, also the woolworths bottle shop is now a BWS

Busnerd

I was told that Woolworths Liquor has been dropped and are all changing to be BWS

Dickson Woolworths Liquor became a BWS a while ago. There was already a BWS just down the road so now there are two within about 100m. The 'original' now accepts Woolworths loyalty cards.

Bus 400

According to http://www.inten.com.au/projects-retail-woolworths_liquor_rebranding.html some will stay the same, while other stores will change into one of 2 names.

ajw373

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 04, 2012, 05:26:13 PM
According to http://www.inten.com.au/projects-retail-woolworths_liquor_rebranding.html some will stay the same, while other stores will change into one of 2 names.

Well Googled (I saw the same thing when I tried to work out why the supermarket grog shops were being rebranded) but that doesn't say that at all. What you have linked to is a resume of a company that has done work for Woolies. It isn't necessarily their current plan.

ajw373

Looks like the expansion of Woolworths Charnwood is underway. Part of the carpark out the back has been cleared and fenced and they are doing work in the courtyard area near the Chinese takeaway and the fish shop. Specifically it looks like they have removed the old toilets and they are doing work near the 'tunnel' between the Chinese and the old "junk shop". If I were a betting man I expect to see the courtyard filled in with the Chinese and the takeaway moving to a more forward location with Wollies behind.

Also anyone know why worked stopped on the new building next to Macca's?

Bus 400

Woolworth's Holt/Kippax now offers free wifi. I haven't noticed any signage at other Woolworth's.

Buzz Killington

Woolworths Liquor at Woden is now a BWS

Bus 400

The Canberra Times reports that Supabarn Crace will open in November.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on June 08, 2013, 05:00:01 PM
The Canberra Times reports that Supabarn Crace will open in November.
As I recall, that same article says that Crace has around 2000 people living there, about half of its eventual population.

May be they're expecting a baby boom there, because with so much of the suburb already constructed, I'm not sure where you could accommodate another 2000 plus people.

Bus 400

Word on the street is that Woolworths Weston Creek will open/reopen its bakery & will also open a sushi bar. This last one sounds strange to me.

Another word on the street is that Woolworths Kambah's upgrade is slated for September 2***.

Buzz Killington

They're opening Sushi Bars and Pizza Bars in selected stores

ajw373

Does anyone have problems with Coles self service check-outs? Now not sure what it is but regardless of which Coles store I go to I always have issue when bagging my items that requires a staff member to come and check that I am not up to no good.

However very very rarely have any issue at Woolworths or any other self service machine I have ever used like Tesco and Sainsburys when I lived in the UK.

Reckon the Coles bag weighing system must be super sensitive.

smitho

Yes, nearly always need a staff member when using the very popular self serves @ Coles, Curtin.

For example, if my bag has a few small mail items in it when I put it in the bagging area (I go to my PO Box B4 visiting Coles), that is enough to require a staff member check...likewise if I end up introducing a second bag to the bagging area.

Yes, the Big W self serve machines are a lot more tolerant.

Bus 400

In a move that will upset the Petrol Station nearby, it looks like an IGA is opening up in the shops across the road from Namadgi School in Kambah.
Now the school students won't have to pay so much for a hard boiled sweet. Kids are still into those right?

Bus 400

Word on Facebook is that Supabarn Crace will open at the end of November.
For those who weren't aware, tge Forde supermarket had closed. On the same Facebook page (My Gungahlin) itbis set to reopen as a Spar by Christmas.