Website | Forum | Gallery | Fleet Wiki
ACT Bus Forum

LR general discussion

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Old, brittle and soon to be deceased
LR general discussion
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »
I haven't payed too much attention to this whole lightrail thing, mostly cause I feel it's a waste of time, resources and money, and those poor tree :'(, but aside that and among the discussions about it that I have been reading of it over these past few months, there's still something that doesn't seem quite right to me.

I have a basic understanding of how trams work and know that the turning radius is rather limited due to the concertina and carriages length compared to articulated buses.
There's that, but from what all the signs say I've worked out at the busiest time there's going to be at least 4-6 active lightrail services running at the same time up and down Northbourne/Flemington, but from what I've seen, it looks as though there are two tracks (excluding whatever is being used to with the depot) and only the signs of the trams using the two tracks meaning they use the same track but in the opposite direction after each terminus like where it use to at Lilyfield in Sydney. ([EDIT] although that's apparently changed to Dulwich Hill since I was last there). So unless there's a loop like at Central Station or something plus the use of Vernon Circle, I don't quite get how this could work.

Can someone please explain this for me. Possibly with pictures and photos even

Also while I think of it, shouldn't the 'Canberra Metro' topic be under the 'Other Transport' subheading cause it kinda fits there better than under 'Discussion'? just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:47:37 AM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

Offline Busfanatic101

• Your typical Canberra Bus Enthusiast
Re: LR general discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
I have a basic understanding of how trams work and know that the turning radius is rather limited due to the concertina and carriages length compared to articulated buses.
There's that, but from what all the signs say I've worked out at the busiest time there's going to be at least 4-6 active lightrail services running at the same time up and down Northbourne/Flemington, but from what I've seen, it looks as though there are two tracks (excluding whatever is being used to with the depot) and only the signs of the trams using the two tracks meaning they use the same track but in the opposite direction after each terminus like where it use to at Lilyfield in Sydney. ([EDIT] although that's apparently changed to Dulwich Hill since I was last there). So unless there's a loop like at Central Station or something plus the use of Vernon Circle, I don't quite get how this could work.

Can someone please explain this for me. Possibly with pictures and photos even
The LRVs should be bidirectional, with a driver's cab at each end. This eliminates the need for them to turn at each end - all they have to do is switch tracks. Take a look at the Gold Coast G:link for an idea of how this might look.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:55:25 AM by Busfanatic101 »

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Had a look at a video, I understand now, there's a lane switch just after each starting point.
All cleared up now, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:27:14 PM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
Just read the TC E-news email, with the confirmation of My Way being used for both buses and trams with tag on/off machines at the stations. The one thing I'm still wondering though is will the light rail be cashless, do any of you know?

...there's a lane switch just after each starting point.
Saw that the other day when I was doing the drawing at Gungahlin.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:46:58 PM by Sylvan Loves Buses »

Offline Busfanatic101

• Your typical Canberra Bus Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Just read the TC E-news email, with the confirmation of My Way being used for both buses and trams with tag on/off machines at the stations. The one thing I'm still wondering though is will the light rail be cashless, do any of you know?
They will most likely have ticket machines on platforms that accept cash and card like G:Link etc. Sort of like the yellow ticket boxes in the underground parking at the Hyperdome.
Sicne drivers won't be handling fares onboard, convinience for passengers (ie. flexible payment options) should prevail over speed of the transaction.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
Yes, makes sense.

It also said...
The MyWay (tag on tag off) system, currently used on buses, will be installed on platforms at all light rail stops.
Which makes me think, wouldn't it be better to have the My Way machines in the actual trams at each door like they did on the Melbourne trams? That way it would prevent people from cheating, tagging on at the wrong time or forgetting when they get off, unless the system makes the My Way machines switch from red to green when the trams pass some sort of detection point.
Any ideas for that?

Offline Bus 503

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »
Yes, makes sense.

It also said...Which makes me think, wouldn't it be better to have the My Way machines in the actual trams at each door like they did on the Melbourne trams? That way it would prevent people from cheating, tagging on at the wrong time or forgetting when they get off, unless the system makes the My Way machines switch from red to green when the trams pass some sort of detection point.
Any ideas for that?

Nothing will stop people from fare evading unless there are regular inspections with hefty fines to make sure passengers have valid tickets. I don't think it's policed very well on the trams in Melbourne, and as a result people fare evade lots of the time. I don't mind whether they have the MyWay readers in the tram or on the platform but whatever method they choose needs to be the most efficient way (so not having long queues of people getting off trams and facing a MyWay reader outside to tag off).

Offline Bus 400

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
There will be "On Board Attendants" on the LRV's, presumably they'll be checking MyWay cards & maybe even selling cash tickets.

I do have a sneaky suspicion you may also be able to purchase tickets at Add Value Machines at Gungahlin & City (can tremember if Dickson will have an AVM).

Only Vline gives a rats about fare enforcement in Victoria, except if an international event is coming up.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk