Future Woden Interchange

Started by Bus 400, March 02, 2009, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

With Belconnen Interchange being redesigned & with plans for Westfield Woden to be extended & reports being conducted for a new Woden Interchange, I thought I would plan what I would like Woden Bus Station to be designed as.

My plan is attached:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bus 400

Apparently there are plans (from TAMS) for an exit from Woden Interchange onto Bowes Street. This most likely won't happen until Woden Town Centre is redeveloped.

smitho

Today's ACT Govt Tenders & Contracts (CT) refers to new Woden Interchange in context of broader works in that precinct...so project still seems to have life in it.

Bus 400

Bus layover facilities will be at Woden Depot & on Launceston Street across the road from a realigned Bowes Street intersection. It looks like the Westfield Woden stop will be to the north of the Medicare Building. While the stops on Launceston Street will be upgraded to "Major Stops." Whole project should be complete in 2016. Tenders for the layovers & a temporary bus station are expected to be called this year. Tenders for the new bus station are expected to be called early 2014. By the looks of things, the 2013-2014 budget will include the funds for this project.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on January 19, 2013, 07:58:02 PM
Bus layover facilities will be at Woden Depot & on Launceston Street across the road from a realigned Bowes Street intersection. It looks like the Westfield Woden stop will be to the north of the Medicare Building.

It would be a great pity if the stop became known as "Westfield Woden" when in fact it is serving Woden Town Centre, not just Woden Plaza (which presently just happens to be managed by Westfield).

Bus interchanges and t6erminii should NOT take on transient commercial names - in this respect, it was good to see "Lanyon Market Place" given the boot and replaced by "Lanyon". IMHO, "Cooleman Court" needs to be replaced with "Weston Centre" as the bus service serves the whole Group Centre, not just the shopping precinct.

Buzz Killington

Some rather interesting changes in the pipeline it would seem.

Bus 400

It makes it easier for out of towners/bus travelling newbies to use names like Westfield or Marketplace. On the plus side, if someone jumps on at ANU Xchange Bus Station asking "Do you go to Westfield?" Bus drivers can answer yes & not be fibbing.

Bus 400

For the old timers, it looks like Bowes Street will once again be connected up once work is complete.