General Discussion 2011-2015

Started by Barry Drive, December 31, 2010, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Prepare yourselves. Details of the 2016 bus fares will soon be released.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 12, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
Prepare yourselves. Details of the 2016 bus fares will soon be released.

Oh boy, here we go again... more price changes for me to memorise  ??? :-[ :-\ :popping:

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 13, 2015, 02:14:20 AM
Oh boy, here we go again... more price changes for me to memorise  ??? :-[ :-\ :popping:

Do I dare guess that it will be another 5% increase!? If so, Sylvan, no more memorising! Just simply multiply the current fares by 1.05  :P

Sylvan Loves Buses

Even 5c is still hard to remember 
I'm still trying to remember all of them from the last change :popping:

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hi, if it's alright, could someone provide me with a list of all the buses in Woden Depot, not the mini (mitsubishi) buses, but the PR2s, PR3s, Darts, 300, and so on, cause I've been meaning to write them down in my log book, but there's so many in there now, I can't see all their numbers anymore  :'(. I do know about the fleet list on the wiki, but it doesn't have exactly what I am after.
So basically, the numbers, whether they're stored/decommissioned, the date of the decommissioning/storing date, and any plans for the stored ones to be put back in service or not, (mainly the darts).
Also, is 986 still there (still hoping to buy it :P)? what happened to 127 and 128, and is the dart facing the wrong way like that out at the front supposed to be like that?  :o

Also, why I'm on the topic of dates, does anyone know the date when the old Waferrer ticket machines/tickets started out? Just interetsed to know how old they were, (i miss them... :'()

King of Buses

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 19, 2015, 02:50:06 PM
Hi, if it's alright, could someone provide me with a list of all the buses in Woden Depot, not the mini (mitsubishi) buses, but the PR2s, PR3s, Darts, 300, and so on, cause I've been meaning to write them down in my log book, but there's so many in there now, I can't see all their numbers anymore  :'(. I do know about the fleet list on the wiki, but it doesn't have exactly what I am after.
So basically, the numbers, whether they're stored/decommissioned, the date of the decommissioning/storing date, and any plans for the stored ones to be put back in service or not, (mainly the darts).
Also, is 986 still there (still hoping to buy it :P)? what happened to 127 and 128, and is the dart facing the wrong way like that out at the front supposed to be like that?  :o

Also, why I'm on the topic of dates, does anyone know the date when the old Waferrer ticket machines/tickets started out? Just interetsed to know how old they were, (i miss them... :'()

986 is still there, yes. Don't get your hopes up about being able to buy it. Its future might already be planned...

Barry Drive

The answer to the Wayfarer question should be on the actbus.net website.

As for the other question, if the information provided on fleetwiki is not to your liking then too bad.

Suggest you contact ACTION directly.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 19, 2015, 02:50:06 PM

This topic should be able to help you out and is updated regularly:
http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3265.new#new

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 19, 2015, 04:57:12 PM
Suggest you contact ACTION directly.

I've tried that, but typically of ACTION, they never get back to you. I've even asked through my contact within MyWay admin, but he can't get an answer either.

Also, I meant to say an approximate date for those buses, like month if day is not possible.
And also, what happened to bus 311? I noticed today its route display has changed to a flipboard display, what happened?  :'(

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 19, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3265.new#new

cool, thanks :D

Bus 503

Do you email ACTION directly, or through Canberra Connect?

Your question to 311 - here is the answer:

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 24, 2015, 05:30:19 PM
Since there was a spare one available, 311 has had a flip-dot fitted to replace the troublesome LED Mobitec.

- And that spare came from 300.

I'm not sure if ACTION would answer your questions on: Where did Bus 700 go? What is Bus 853 doing at Woden depot? Who bought Ex-Bus 712? How long has Bus 857 been at Woden for? I wouldn't think ACTION would release buying information, where a certain bus is and what it is doing at a certain place, or where a bus went, as for the reason stated above, and for this reason: That information is

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was just after a basic list of the current buses in Woden, that's all, I already know what happened to all the others. I'm not interested where they go after they leave Woden. If they get sold, scrapped, etc, then I only need to see that word next to the number, any other details, I'm not interested. (well, except for the pink bus, I know where that went  ;))

I have a direct phone number and email to ACTION and MyWay admin. They use to be my main resource for inquiries and 'bus knowledge'. I still use the contacts, but not as often anymore, cause I now have this forum, but I'm not exactly liking the way I've been treated here, so I may lower my usage of asking here, and go back to the phone.

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 20, 2015, 06:10:21 AM
Your question to 311 - here is the answer:

that spare came from 300.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 19, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=3265
That reminds me, I need to update that information.

EDIT: now updated.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 19, 2015, 04:57:12 PM
The answer to the Wayfarer question should be on the actbus.net website.

Like I said, it should be. But it wasn't - so it is now. Take a look at the Timeline article.

(And as has been stated on the article, if there are MAJOR events missing from the timeline, please report it. I'm aware that NXTBUS hasn't been included, yet. That will be the next update.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well, that other discussion died off quickly >.>

Now, onto a different matter, I am now constructing another drawing, and KoB requested bus 565, I had actually noticed this before, but thought I was hallucinating, but I now know 656 is actually different to the others, from what I've noticed just with the air conditioning unit.
So is there a particular reason for this? is that bus trialing something? Will any of the future others be like that? And also, is it in any way visually different anywhere else, or just the aircon?

King of Buses

Just different with the climate control unit. It is a trial unit - naturally, it spends a lot of time on the Bricks.

This is probably the best/only comparison I have seen (in photo form).

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: King of Buses on November 29, 2015, 04:42:32 PM
naturally, it spends a lot of time on the Bricks.

That must suck, no wonder I never see it then...

Busnerd

Oh great, they're using Cooltek/Hispa(g)cold units now? These are the same ones Sydney Buses has on their CB80's. Not a fan,  the plastic turns yellow after about twelve months

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

King of Buses

Quote from: Busnerd on November 30, 2015, 01:38:43 PM
Oh great, they're using Cooltek/Hispa(g)cold units now? These are the same ones Sydney Buses has on their CB80's. Not a fan,  the plastic turns yellow after about twelve months

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Only 565 has a Hispacold Climate Control unit. The other CB80s have Thermoking units. I'd say evaluation of 565s performance compared to the others will determine future systems on the next bunch of buses.

And yes, the same as STA.

Bus 503

Quote from: King of Buses on November 30, 2015, 04:54:11 PM
Only 565 has a Hispacold Climate Control unit. The other CB80s have Thermoking units. I'd say evaluation of 565s performance compared to the others will determine future systems on the next bunch of buses.

And yes, the same as STA.

A few GREYHOUND coaches have HISPACOLD air-conditioning equipment.

I can't comment on Bus 565's air-conditioning equipment as I have never been on it.

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 30, 2015, 07:00:00 PM
A few GREYHOUND coaches have HISPACOLD air-conditioning equipment.

We are talking about ACTION - namely the Scania CB80's only too.

Sylvan Loves Buses

So what's with the Sydney bus roaming around Canberra? That's now 2 photos that I've seen of it, yet I still haven't seen it in person.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 01, 2015, 10:45:12 PM
So what's with the Sydney bus roaming around Canberra? That's now 2 photos that I've seen of it, yet I still haven't seen it in person.

Could you please post a photo/link?

The Love Guru

I'm keen to find out more about this bus.
I wonder if it is on trial to check that it can operate ACTION services so that a number of them can be purchased and the new network can be introduced?

ajw373

So what is the mystery Sydney bus?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Idk, but I've seen 2 photos, this being one of them, and the other has been deleted for some reason, but they looked pretty recent

ajw373

An old 0305. Going by what the Love Guru was saying was expecting something a bit newer.

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 01, 2015, 10:45:12 PM

Going by your last post, I'm guessing that you're talking about Newcastle Bus which is being restored in Canberra by a forum member.

There is another Sydney Bus (a Daewood) which has been a topic on Facebook. That is the one The Love Guru is talking about.

Quote from: The Love Guru on December 02, 2015, 10:10:56 PM
I'm keen to find out more about this bus.
I wonder if it is on trial to check that it can operate ACTION services so that a number of them can be purchased and the new network can be introduced?

Apparently the bus is based at Tuggeranong, so could that mean it runs on CNG?
I haven't seen it yet, but when it's out next time, photos might be circulating.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 03, 2015, 06:05:52 AM
Going by your last post, I'm guessing that you're talking about Newcastle Bus which is being restored in Canberra by a forum member.
There is another Sydney Bus (a Daewood) which has been a topic on Facebook. That is the one The Love Guru is talking about.
Apparently the bus is based at Tuggeranong, so could that mean it runs on CNG?

Oh, ok. Well I might have a little squizzy my self some time I'm next in the area. So It's not a Sydney one, but a Newcastle one, hmm, interesting...

Another few questions. I know I could probably find all my answers somewhere on the wiki and here on the forum, but it's so elaborate, I'd probably get lost, and spend years finding things... maybe. but anyway, I feel it's easier just to ask, and you guys know what you're talking about. So...

Why has there never been a Plt. 13 at Woden Bus Inter?
Has Plt. 6 at Tuggeranong ever been used for anything except for a nuisance for Artics who want to park when there's no spaces left?
and, Why is there a Bus Station outside the Belconnen Bus Depot? I mean it's useful and all, esp. for us bus enthusiasts, but why there, was there any particular reason for it? (I'm asking, cause there's been many issues that have arisen from this Station that lead me to wonder what's the point?)

Buzz Killington

- Considered an unlucky number
- Yes
- Services the Belconnen trades area

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 04, 2015, 01:55:30 AM
Oh, ok. Well I might have a little squizzy my self some time I'm next in the area. So It's not a Sydney one, but a Newcastle one, hmm, interesting...

The bus in the picture you posted is a Newcastle bus, or maybe more correct was serving Newcastle when withdrawn by STA, it is being restored.

Others are saying there is another bus, presumably quite new being trailed.

Sylvan Loves Buses

- Considered an unlucky number - That's it, no other reason?
- Yes - like??
- Services the Belconnen trades area - I know about that bit, but there wasn't any other reason for it, or plans for other positions due to Plt. 1 being such pain in the @ss for some buses?

New cardboard-cut-outs of the Euro 6's have been made Whoo-hoo!!! Got some in the mail from ACTION today, with a few Christmas books that I already collected the day before xD
https://youtu.be/yeh0M5Th34Q

Buzz Killington

Barry Drive

1. Why is that so hard to believe*? What other reason could there possibly be*?
2. Yes. But why does it matter what routes*? They don't exist now anyway.
3. Not sure where else it could have gone.

* Rhetorical questions

Busnerd

To summarise

The old bus seen around as pictured above is owned by a board member (whose identity has been suppressed) - it is an ex State Transit Newcastle O305.

As for the Daewoo demonstrator it is definitely not gas.

Sylvan Loves Buses

More questions, and inquiries.

-I was on my way home the other night, passing behind Belconnen Depot, was it me seeing things, or is there really a naked dart floating around?

-I saw the posters for the RATEC open day, I want to go, just don't presently know of the times, does anyone know the opening times?

-I have noticed some posts a while ago about wifi on the buses, is this true? Is it on all the buses? Is it free? - if so, how much and how long or/and what restrictions??

-Also, does anyone by chance have a photo of how the Erindale bus stop use to look like? I was down there a few weeks ago (finally) drawing it for one of my birds-eye drawings, but unfortunately, my memory of it isn't as good for the side that I'm after, and I can't find any photos of it on the Gallery. I'm currently after the shopping center side (mostly just the road layout).

-Lastly, does anyone know if the Community and Cohen Street Bus Stations (Belconnen) are ever going to get one of those touch-screen kiosks? They are very handy for predicting travel and knowing when buses are coming. (even though NXTBUS is often inaccurate)

Bus 503

Posts on wifi - Bus 579 and Bus 581 had FREEwifi for a while, but they were both turned off a few weeks ago. On the Digital Canberra website, it states that five buses have received wifi as a trial, but all of which are most likely inactive. I would think the rules of free wifi and session time on a bus would be the same as CBR Free Wifi which is all around Canberra.
It is very likely that as the Transport Canberra plan comes into place next year, (2016) an official announcement will be made regarding the trial of wifi.
If the trial is successful, all buses will be fitted with FREE wifi.
For wifi updates, it probably best to follow Barry Drive on Twitter.

As for Erindale, a link to it is here: https://www.facebook.com/MickGentleman/photos/a.290883554349418.57928.288309204606853/755389664565469/?type=3&theater

Or:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Comrie+St+opp+Erindale+Centre+Plt+2,+Wanniassa+ACT+2903/@-35.4037395,149.099265,3a,66.8y,297.58h,83.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slQRZzXohnsa1VysfnRNZpQ!2e0!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x6b17b54befe72691:0x89add666906358fe!2sComrie+St,+Wanniassa+ACT+2903!3m1!1s0x6b17b54bf64cd7a1:0xcac9cbbf00ed4f75?hl=en

Buzz Killington

Presume you're talking about ex-132, which is painted in arctic green (off white)

RATEC is open 10-4 on Saturday, followed by the Christmas lights tour from 7.30

No idea on the kiosks - that's a question for ACTION

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 10, 2015, 01:50:00 PM
RATEC is open 10-4 on Saturday, followed by the Christmas lights tour from 7.30
Thank you. That'll make my Saturday very busy then  :o

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 10, 2015, 01:50:00 PMNo idea on the kiosks - that's a question for ACTION
I'll ask my contact then :)

132 is an Ex now?  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Buzz Killington

Check the wiki, it left the fleet a few months ago.

Sylvan Loves Buses

will do, among the other things I have to check there (if I can persuade my forgetful mind to go there sometime in the next week :-\ )

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on December 10, 2015, 10:54:17 AM
Posts on wifi - Bus 579 and Bus 581 had FREEwifi for a while, but they were both turned off a few weeks ago. On the Digital Canberra website, it states that five buses have received wifi as a trial, but all of which are most likely inactive. I would think the rules of free wifi and session time on a bus would be the same as CBR Free Wifi which is all around Canberra.

It is very likely that as the Transport Canberra plan comes into place next year, (2016) an official announcement will be made regarding the trial of wifi.

If the trial is successful, all buses will be fitted with FREE wifi.

For wifi updates, it probably best to follow Barry Drive on Twitter.
Correct. Mostly.

The plan (as mentioned elsewhere) is for the Wifi trial to last 12 months. It has already been mentioned that the trial will start "late this year" (2015) - they wouldn't have fitted out the buses if it wasn't going to start soon.

Also, I'm not sure it's a question of success/failure, but more of determining usage patterns and identifying black spots. Anyway, don't expect to see a full roll out before 2017.

And yes, I will post updates to twitter (and here), but I expect that when the trial commences there will be a media announcement.

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 10, 2015, 10:09:05 AM
-Lastly, does anyone know if the Community and Cohen Street Bus Stations (Belconnen) are ever going to get one of those touch-screen kiosks?
Ever? That can't be answered. In the near future: no.

Both locations have PIDs and free wifi. IMO they're more useful than the NXTBUS touch screens anyway.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I just read a post that reminded me about something that I've wondered for many years now.

When the Iris buses were first introduced, it was also close to the time that I started recognising the numbering system that the buses used, which is mostly one reason I had lived with some of the 600 PR2s, but never knew about them. So at that time, I was developing my bus books, and everything, with the 100s, 7's, 8's and 900's. But what was strange to me was the new numbers that the Iris buses were taking.
So, was there any particular reason why the 'new fleet' had its numbers start at 300 and not at 200, or 257???

Also, another question, what ever happened to the other buttons that were used in 491-505 Euros? I don't know what they were really called, but I called them "Big Baby Button Buttons", I was told by a driver that they were faulty pieces of garbage, were there any other reasons? Cause I really liked them, and they were much easier to use, and way more reliable than the ones that are now being put into the E6s.

Buzz Killington

I believe they started at 300 to avoid confusion with some aspect of the radio system that used numbers in the 200 range. As for 257, I assume you mean 157, to follow the Darts? Not sure on that one.

The stop buttons in 491-505 (and some artics from memory) were wireless - when pushed, I believe it was a sound based technology that alerted the receiver that a button had been pushed, which then activated the next stop lights in the cabin and saloon. Problem was that other sounds would often trigger the receiver, or the receiver wouldn't be triggered when a button was pushed. They were therefore replaced with the wired version.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hmm, that's very interesting, and very clever I might add, too bad they had their problems. What's strange though, is the current ones also have that issue where pressing them doesn't always work, doesn't happen too often thankfully, but there have been times where I've tried pressing and nearly missed my stop because of it :-\. The others sounded like they were air-pressured, where the ones now go 'click'.

And yes, I did mean 157 sorry.

Bus 400

Some people (not mentioning any names) recorded the sound the bus stop buttons made & when replayed from their phone to the receiver, would set the bus stop lights off.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Wow, some people....
I understand why now.
Still miss them though. :-[

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 04, 2015, 01:55:30 AMWhy has there never been a Plt. 13 at Woden Bus Inter?
Quote from: Barry Drive on December 04, 2015, 05:54:40 PM
Why is that so hard to believe*? What other reason could there possibly be*?

Well, I don't know, I would have imagined there would be a reason other than that. Seems silly to think that the number 13 for a platform on a bus interchange would be considered unlucky? I was sure the old Belconnen Interchange had the same thing, but I just looked at one of my Network '98 timetables to notice I was wrong, but I'm sure that the 300's use to use Plt. 13 at Belconnen until it was demolished. I'm sorry, I just can't understand it, all seems really strange to me.

While it may seem illogical, it's somewhat of a common practice - for instance, in hotels.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sir Pompously

Also used to be the case at Canberra Airport, there was a gate 11, 12 and 14. Originally there was no 13 due to superstition however when a new gate was built next to gate 11 it was numbered 13; the new terminal building also features a 13. The number 13 being unlucky is a very common superstition, check out this article on History regarding the number 13 http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/whats-so-unlucky-about-the-number-13

On the subject of wireless buttons they were horrible. I could sneeze and if it was at the right pitch it would set off the bell! In other cities the buttons often get knocked off. The current set of buttons it is very difficult to pull them off the pole but the large round ones are easy to remove as there is a lot of room to grab onto them. Not sure how often that happened in Canberra but has certainly happened a bit in other capital cities.