Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 25, 2017, 11:47:42 PM
Yeah well, not every taxi rank/bus interchange (esp Tuggeranong) has a trolley return with a chain plug-in thing, nor other trolleys around to get the coins back.

I would suggest if you are taking your shopping on a bus you don't need a trolley to take your shopping to the interchange then. Otherwise how will you get it onto the bus and the shopping home when you get off? Clearly it is a carryable amount you have. 

And ps wife and I used to live in London, no car and took our weekly shop on the bus and no need for a trolley to get it to the bus stop. That's what our arms and hands are for!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Well I had 2 trolleys filled to the top, and considering there was only a 900 left, there was no way in hell I was going to carry all that home.
The taxi rank on Anketell has no prevision for trolley users what so ever...

ajw373

Two trolleys? Really? Have you ever done any shopping in your life? Or does mum do it all and your rage at this measure is either illinformed or simply me too faux rage?

And if you really are serious then I don't think in this circumstance you forging your $1 deposit is a big ask is it? Not like it is the supermarkets issue to run around finding trolleys you clearly before felt you could leave anywhere you liked before hand.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I do the same shopping every month, usually with 2 trolleys, sometimes 3 when the bulk buying is required. Mum doesn't do the shopping anymore, cause she can't walk - she barely leaves the house anymore for that matter.

and at least I'm one of those good people who always returned the trolley after using it, or at least left it somewhere close to the shopping centers unlike the *******s who leave them in alleyways, gutters or at the bottom of Tuggeranong Lake...

Quote from: ajw373 on February 26, 2017, 12:30:39 AM
Have you ever done any shopping in your life? Or does mum do it all and your rage at this measure is either illinformed or simply me too faux rage?

Don't get bitchy with me please, I'm angry at the Government, I don't want to be angry at you too.

And yeah, I was enraged, so much so that when I loaded everything into the taxi, to get both my coins back I swapped the trolleys around and chained them to each other...

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 25, 2017, 11:47:42 PM
Yeah well, not every taxi rank/bus interchange (esp Tuggeranong) has a trolley return with a chain plug-in thing, nor other trolleys around to get the coins back.
Just this once, I agree with you. But the problem is that there are multiple trolley variations (large & small, and three supermarkets + Big W, Target, KMart etc.) - one trolley collection point isn't going to work now at bus stations and taxi ranks anyway. It's hard enough inside the carparks.

But as for your shopping habits - perhaps you should consider using the online, home delivery services that Coles and Woolies offer. Cheaper than a taxi.

Otherwise, you might want to invest in one of these.

Buzz Killington

Perhaps you could contact the Hyperdome and/or the retailers to request that the trolley bays have the return keys installed?

This is only in place because people weren't returning their trolleys to the store or a trolley bay. "Somewhere close" doesn't cut it.

And agree with Barry - have you tried online shopping? I've only used it once but it was dead easy, you can pick a delivery time window, and the delivery driver even brought everything into my house and popped it onto the kitchen bench. I can guarantee the delivery cost will be less than your taxi fare.

I believe both Coles and Woolies offer free delivery on your first order (possibly with a minimum spend)

Sir Pompously

I too have used online shopping before, it is a great service and was very easy to use with a minimal delivery fee.

As for the trolley deposit, sadly the Government has had to implement this system as there were too many rouge trolleys around the place. Supermarket trolley contractors were not collecting them when reported and customers were doing the wrong thing by taking them outside the area of the shopping centre, so they have brought back the old system of a coin deposit (or token if you have one). If there is not one in the area you need then contact the particular supermarket chain you shop at or centre management and let them know. Often places outside the carpark are overlooked so they just need someone to push and remind them that trolley return bays exist at taxi ranks and bus stops/interchanges.

ajw373

Quote from: Sir Pompously on February 26, 2017, 11:42:15 AM
I too have used online shopping before, it is a great service and was very easy to use with a minimal delivery fee.

As for the trolley deposit, sadly the Government has had to implement this system as there were too many rouge trolleys around the place. Supermarket trolley contractors were not collecting them when reported and customers were doing the wrong thing by taking them outside the area of the shopping centre, so they have brought back the old system of a coin deposit (or token if you have one). If there is not one in the area you need then contact the particular supermarket chain you shop at or centre management and let them know. Often places outside the carpark are overlooked so they just need someone to push and remind them that trolley return bays exist at taxi ranks and bus stops/interchanges.
Ironically the Hyperdome, or more specifically the Super KMart store (for those that cannot remember think combined Kmart and Coles) had the coin deposit system from day dot in 1987. Think it was 20c back then.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Believe me, I have considered home delivery from online shopping many times, but cause my mum's a technophobe, so we don't use any means of online shopping, nor use a bank card of any sort tied into anything other than a savings account. Otherwise we probably would've been doing it long ago.
I feel that online shopping is less fun, cause you don't get to immerse yourself in the actual activity, and like buses, I've always loved pushing trolleys around but I do understand what the point of it is, it's easier and I guess cheaper and less time consuming.

We do already have a trolley, but mum and I only use it for emergencies for when we're carrying something big, or if she's shopping by herself. Otherwise I use my old shopping method of carrying 2-4 shopping bags on my bikes handle bars - probably a shopping method I should go back to.

Quote from: Sir Pompously linkOften places outside the carpark are overlooked so they just need someone to push and remind them that trolley return bays exist at taxi ranks and bus stops/interchanges.

I've been saying to my mum the past few years (and maybe it should've been something I should've suggested long ago), to putting some sort of proximity or gps device on the trolleys so an alarm goes off on the trolley or the shop managers can see where the trolleys are if they go outside of the shopping/center areas. Something not too complex, but something that works in a way that the hidden barcode on the baskets work (the one that sets the alarms off if you try taking a basket out of a store).

Quote from: ajw373Think it was 20c back then.

Dayam, if it were more like that now, I think I'd be somewhat happier.
I do remember Dan Murphy's trolleys always having the pay lock on them back to 1997, I think they removed them a couple years ago (till now) but they were $1/$2 ones too. :-\

Bus 400

I would of thought most Banks would of sent out Savings Account linked debit cards by now.

While doing a quick search doing a quick search, accounts can be set up at Coles (didn't check Woolies). I've sent a generic rweet to Coles about calling orders in.

Another option, have you considered spreading the big shop out? I normally buy one big thing each week (as needed),my only big shop is for the Xmas cake & pudding ingredients. The biggest advantage is occasionally buying 2 or 3 things & a few bottles of milk.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 26, 2017, 05:10:18 PM
We do already have a trolley, but mum and I only use it for emergencies for when we're carrying something big, or if she's shopping by herself. Otherwise I use my old shopping method of carrying 2-4 shopping bags on my bikes handle bars - probably a shopping method I should go back to

You should probably make sure you don't carry eggs on the handlebars, I once did that and a couple of the eggs broke (although I was probably a bit fast on the bike...).

You can also buy a cheap Aldi 'token' which acts like a coin in a trolley if you don't have spare coins around too.

There was a topic on the RIOTACT a few days ago on this topic:
http://the-riotact.com/pay-for-bags-scan-my-own-shopping-now-pay-for-a-trolley/194991

triumph

Sympathise with difficulties now of using trolleys. In my recent experience, Westfield Belconnen is an absolute shambles. Trolleys are parked at return points handle to handle, different trolleys won't nest together, the Aldi token did not release a Woolies trolley though it worked in a Coles one, the trolley collectors have a handsome sideline in releasing coins from trolleys not returned for refund, etc.. It took me over 5 mins recently to park a trolley, having had to visit numerous return bays. (The one minor upside, I am now $3 richer from beating the trolley collectors to it.)   

Buzz Killington

Is Mawson Woolies not an option?

Also, proximity trolley locks already exist. Not sure if any stores in Canberra use it though. I've seen it at a Coles in Melbourne.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on February 27, 2017, 02:14:21 AM
That makes sense in some ways, but also makes the point of the locks even more stupid. The fact that you can chain trolleys to other shops would make it even more hell for the returners, and preventing it on others means you can't get you money back without having to find a match somewhere else.
The Woolworths trolley collector at Woden Bus Station today had a metal thing around his neck which he slotted in to split the Coles and Big W trolleys that were joined back to back.

ajw373

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 27, 2017, 08:09:25 AM
Is Mawson Woolies not an option?

Also, proximity trolley locks already exist. Not sure if any stores in Canberra use it though. I've seen it at a Coles in Melbourne.

They don't need to be that fancy either. 20 years ago I lived in Rockdale in Sydney and the plaza had metal mats made out of material like escelator/travelator tread, about 1.5m long that stopped/made it very hard to take trolleys beyond the boundary.

Obviously a lot easier to do this in that mall than it would in say Belconnen, but anyway example of a very simple and effective system.

Stan butler

Quote from: ajw373 on March 06, 2017, 04:01:38 PM
....and the plaza had metal mats made out of material like escelator/travelator tread, about 1.5m long that stopped/made it very hard to take trolleys beyond the boundary.

I often wonder with those travelators that don't let you push the trollley - what happens if they malfunction or if there is a blackout. How do you move you trolleys to the other floors or to the car park as you cannot push them on the travelator?

After all, we've all seen escalators that don't work or are out of action, so no doubt travelstors break down or are out of action at some stage too.  Gungahlin marketplace is one example, if the travelator breaks down or doesn't work, then how do you get your trolleys to the car park?

Busnerd

You could always take your shopping out using your hands and arms and carry them to your car?

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Stan butler on March 06, 2017, 08:29:18 PMwhat happens if they malfunction or if there is a blackout. How do you move you trolleys to the other floors or to the car park as you cannot push them on the travelator?

Generally speaking, the grooves that the travelators have will lock the wheels into place, but what I've noticed is that is you push at the right angle and hard enough, you can actually push a trolley from one end to the other - if you were to do this on a broken one, it would probably take a while and a lot of effort, which is why I would suggest taking a lift (elevator) or something.

Buzz Killington

I wouldn't be taking the lift during a blackout.

triumph

At the mall I usually use, the travelators have a little symbol at the entry points prohibiting trolleys. This is duly ignored by nearly everyone.

Sylvan Loves Buses

This is one of those times I wish I owned my own bus... :-\

Busnerd

That's a disturbing amount of purple bags

Toyota Camry

Woolworths Dunlop is my favourite store; it is the Woolworths that should not really be called a regular Woolworths. It is more like a Woolworths Metro store like those that are found in Sydney.

Toyota Camry

SupaExpress Red Hill is under construction now, replacing a former Friendly Grocer; it will be open soon. Currently there is no supermarket at the Red Hill Shops; I recommend visiting Coles Manuka if in the area.

Toyota Camry

Denman Prospect IGA is reported to be suffering severe stock issues; many fridges are empty, it is a possibility the store may close, as another IGA store operated by the same franchise recently closed. If you cannot find what you need at that store, I recommend boarding a route 66 bus; you may choose to patronise Woolworths or Aldi at Cooleman Court, alternative you may patronise Woolworths or Coles at Westfield Woden.

Busnerd

That has been common knowledge for weeks now in social circles and as reported by many locals and local media outlets, I'm sure those on here have the means and knowledge to find an alternate supermarket nearby.

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Busnerd on July 29, 2019, 04:09:20 PMThat has been common knowledge for weeks now in social circles and as reported by many locals and local media outlets, I'm sure those on here have the means and knowledge to find an alternate supermarket nearby.
It was only made apparent to myself this afternoon by an APS4 employee from another section in my department who lives in Coombs; all of my social circles are on the north side, predominantly in the Gungahlin district, this therefore means that I am not current with south side happenings.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I don't even watch/read the news anymore, wouldn't even know (or care tbh) if the IGA and Dominoes near me had closed down. My mum is my source of news now days :D
I'm not surprised this is happening though.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Toyota Camry on July 29, 2019, 09:10:47 PMIt was only made apparent to myself this afternoon by an APS4 employee from another section in my department who lives in Coombs; all of my social circles are on the north side, predominantly in the Gungahlin district, this therefore means that I am not current with south side happenings.
The APS classification of your informant is as relevant as yours (ie. not at all relevant to this topic or the entire forum).

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 30, 2019, 12:41:46 AMI don't even watch/read the news anymore, wouldn't even know (or care tbh) if the IGA and Dominoes near me had closed down. My mum is my source of news now days :D
I would recommend that you diversify your sources to include other providers of information such as friends, local social media sites and news outlets such as the ABC or The Guardian; the information provided by your mum may be highly subjective and/or biased. For example, if you were told by your mum that flesh eating monsters were attacking any person travelling on the R5 bus route who had not purchased a mothers day present, you would most likely believe it; a person with greater density of news sources would not.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Toyota Camry on July 30, 2019, 01:15:27 PMsuch as friends

I ain't got no friends.

Also the news is barely ever accurate anymore, I only believe things if I see it for myself.
Such as the disgusting reality of actually visiting the no-longer-there KFC at the Dendy area foodcourt today only to find out everything is gone. Had to go to the food court down stairs in the old section of the center in vain, cause it's more of a China Town more than a food court now...

Sylvan Loves Buses

Can't believe Belconnen Mall's Woolworths still has an old logo above the front entrance, amazing no one has bothered to replace it with the garbage they have now.
Also Toys R Us has apparently been gone for a year now or something. This mean no more bus toys from one of the few 'real' stores left in Canberra... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!

So other than riding buses, this pretty much means I have no reason to ever visit Belconnen for anything ever again except for picking up another coloured suit. :P

Stan butler

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 22, 2020, 10:34:13 PMSo other than riding buses, this pretty much means I have no reason to ever visit Belconnen for anything ever again except for picking up another coloured suit. :P

What about taking photos through the fence at the depot?  Or standing on the overpass between Westfield and the community centre and watching buses go beneath/below you (so you can their roofline)?

Or better yet, what about simply going to Belconnen because it is better than Woden 😀

Sylvan Loves Buses

I mean sure, it is less of a dump than Gungahlin and Woden, but it's too far to travel for me to be bothered with things like that. I'll pop up every now and again to take a photo of a buses rear end, but other than that, it's all a bit meh now.

Quote from: Stan butler on June 23, 2020, 05:08:33 AMstanding on the overpass between Westfield and the community centre and watching buses go beneath/below you (so you can their roofline)
I've only actually done that (purposely) once, since the Belconnen Bus Interchange was demolished and that was for my drawing. The carpark above Tuggeranong Interchange and Woden is just as good for that.

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 22, 2020, 10:34:13 PMCan't believe Belconnen Mall's Woolworths still has an old logo above the front entrance, amazing no one has bothered to replace it with the garbage they have now.
Also Toys R Us has apparently been gone for a year now or something. This mean no more bus toys from one of the few 'real' stores left in Canberra... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!

It is odd that Belco woolies still has the old logo it is also well behind on store refurbishment too compared to many.

Even odder as it is in a Westfield that stipulate in their leases how often stores need to be refurbished. Though guess majors like Woolies, Coles and Myer might get special dispensation, just need to look at how often Grace Bro's/Myer have been refurbished in the past 40 years since they opened at the mall.

I'm not sure if Kippax is a store where they trial new stuff but since Woolies Belconnen was last refurbished Kippax has had 3 seperate changes made. I don't go there often nowadays but saw at Kippax a newer style of isle sign at the weekend.

As for Toy shops, a new toy shop is opening in Belconnen in the new market development. Not sure when it will open, my guess is 9-12 months time.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I'm pretty sure the Post Office is also a very old design too (or has that been refurbished already?).

Was surprised myself walking through Kippax a couple of weeks ago, not only is the Woolworths there so much easier to navigate with a Bunnings style layout with gaps in the middle of isles, but the St George Bank actually looks like a bank still. If only all of Canberra was still like that...

ajw373

Kippax Woolies is the way it is because it got extended 10 (maybe 15) years back. They could only extend it length wise which is why it is long and narrow. Where the breaks are in the isles is about where the old shop once ended.

When woolies brought it they more or less doubled the size of the old store which was a Supabarn (and Owl before that).

Bus 400

Woolies Woden was threatened by Westfield back in the day to do a refurbish. They threatened to leave (taking Big W with them) a buy a block nearby & move there. Westfield paid for the refurb.

Some of the major players in Belconnen are in the same boat. Imagine if Westfarmers/Coles left of if Woolies did a deal with Geocon?

Sent from my SM-T670 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on June 22, 2020, 10:34:13 PMCan't believe Belconnen Mall's Woolworths still has an old logo above the front entrance, amazing no one has bothered to replace it with the garbage they have now.
I'm sure you'll be excited to hear that Woolworths Belconnen's long awaited store refresh has commenced.

Barry Drive

The Woolworths #1139 (Belconnen) refurbishment is nearing completion. In the last week, two new Woolworths signs went up at the main entrance.

And for the supermarket gunzels, it does now have the new aisle signs (as seen at Kippax).

Barry Drive

Both Coles & Woolworths at Westfields Belconnen have completed their upgrades, after Aldi did a refresh/expansion earlier in the year.

Woolworths seems to have increased their shelf space (at the expense of checkout space) whereas Coles has reduced shelf space in favour of more F&V and quick meals.

Woolworths Majura Park was also upgraded recently and now work has commenced at Dickson.

Busnerd

ajw373

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 23, 2020, 09:54:13 AMBoth Coles & Woolworths at Westfields Belconnen have completed their upgrades, after Aldi did a refresh/expansion earlier in the year.

Woolworths seems to have increased their shelf space (at the expense of checkout space) whereas Coles has reduced shelf space in favour of more F&V and quick meals.

Woolworths Majura Park was also upgraded recently and now work has commenced at Dickson.

They seem to have shrunk the meat section considerably, and the fruit and veg when I went there a few weeks back was slim pickings too.

Busnerd

The Franklin Woolworths "Metro" has had a "refurbishment" which has basically consisted of the deli closing down, presumably permanently given Woolworths' cost cutting of late, and generally annoying all their customers by moving the location of basically every item in the store. Bread has now moved in front of what was the deli, juice and reduced to clear perishables have swapped spots. Flavoured milk is now at the front of the store and somehow the range has decreased from three shelves to around 1 shelf, despite this store always getting a school rush of children usually selling them out of milk most afternoons this has seemingly now been reduced to a small range of dare products.

A large new indian/asian range has been installed and the once 'Macro'/Gluten Free isle has now been dispersed around the store with these items mixing in with standard range items in their respective areas, ie. macro chips now with regular chips, gluten free cake mixes now next to regular cake mix and so on.

Snorzac

Hawker is also undergoing a large refurbishment, seemingly similar to the one in Franklin

Busnerd

Also noticed a poorly applied 'W' Metro sticker on a development sign out near Denny P, presumably one coming soon along with another new apartment building. Time will tell if it's good enough to take all the business away from Denny P IGA which would likely see it close down again and probably become yet another gym.

Barry Drive

Woolworths Metro Wright at Steve Irwin Drive. Allocated as store number 1610.

At least this one will be branded as Metro from the outset.

Toyota Camry

Tonight I visited SPAR Express in Ngunnawal; this store is somewhat dated, with internal brick walls providing a 1990s vibe to the store; however it is a far more modern store than the 5 Star Handimart in Spence, which is also part of the SPAR chain. I find this store preferable to Woolworths Metro stores as it offers more unique products than Woolworths Metro does, that are not sold at either Woolworths or Coles; it is also worth supporting being one of the only businesses trading in Ngunnawal.

I am however disturbed by some reviews on Google for this store; in particular the review by "Michelle" one month ago, however I will continue to visit this store.