Canberra Airport Bus service changes

Started by 743, July 13, 2011, 06:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Only five trips per day will be running on the Airliner from next Monday  :pop: Brand Depot services have also ceased. You can see the new timetable at http://www.airliner.com.au/timetableA1.html.

Snorzac

This is not the answer to the Airliners problem, if they had done a deal with cabcharge and tailored the timetable to actually fit in with arrivals/departures they could be making shit loads!

The Love Guru

Snorzac

I think it is time for someone to take over this airport run from Deanes, it is just stupid. ACTION should be that someone!

Sir Pompously

Seeing as though CAG pay for the Airliner service to run, I think it is time for them to let it loose and allow ACTION to serve the terminal for them for..... FREE! Reducing the amount of services for a service they do not promote is not the answer.

Bus 400

As of the 4th September (2011), the Airliner service will cease:

QuoteAirliner Service will be discontinued from the 4th of September 2011
Deane's Transit Group would like to advise customers that we will cease to operate the Airliner bus service from Sunday 4 September 2011.  We would like to thank our regular users for their ongoing support with us over the years we have been the provider of the service.  For alternative arrangements please visit www.canberraairport.com.au or call 02 6275 2222.
(http://www.airliner.com.au/).

So this is everyone's last week to catch the service or photograph buses like these:

Sir Pompously

Well, cannot say I am surprised. I certainly hope they have ACTION knocking at their door to start operating a service to the airport, as it would be alot cheaper for the airport than subsidising the Airliner service (You never know, this may be a reason for the service stoppage). I am also sure the Airport owns (Or atleast partly owns) one of the Airliner coaches, wonder what will happen there?

Snorzac

43 has been doing normal DBL route services between Airliner runs. 47 has been doing Yass runs. So it is possible that they aren't owned by the airport. Time will tell...

Barry Drive

The official line from ACTION is that they cannot operate to the airport due to the contractual arrangement with DBL. But surely that contract would be voided with Deane's discontinuing the service.

Can someone mention this at the next twitter ACT VCC on Tuesday?

Snorzac

I would really like to participate in the ACT VCC but I have to work...

Maxious

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on August 29, 2011, 12:02:31 AM
The official line from ACTION is that they cannot operate to the airport due to the contractual arrangement with DBL. But surely that contract would be voided with Deane's discontinuing the service.

If I recall correctly, the Airports Act was amended in 2010 specifically to make airports and airport management better address the negative impact they have on road congestion ("The Airport planning system is currently not being properly integrated with the off-airport transport planning system. This lack of integration is contributing to an uncoordinated transport system, which in turn is having an impact on cities' broader productive capacity and imposing unnecessary social and economic costs.").
In any case, the 2009 master plan says that Canberra Airport wants ACTION and coach operators to come closer to the terminal:

Canberra Airport currently subsidises a half-hourly bus service from the Airport terminal to Russell and the City, with reduced service on weekends. Additionally, regional bus services operate from the Terminal to the South Coast and Snowy Mountains. Canberra Airport is currently in negotiations to create a regional bus interchange at Canberra Airport to improve connections to the region. Facilities for this interchange will be provided as part of the new terminal and associated terminal road system.

Additional services to a range of Canberra suburbs are operated from the Brindabella Business Park by ACTION, and Canberra Airport is hopeful that these services will also operate from the passenger terminal in the future.

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/PDF/masterplan/approved/8_PassengerTerminalFacilities.pdf

Bus 400

Can anyone tell me when this service first started? I think it started either 2005/2007, but not that sure.

Irisbus Rider

I have an Airliner timetable which goes back to 2003 (IIRC). It was a single sheet, with pictures of the Deanes Airliner piecart on the front, with a timetable similar to what was seen in the most recent service cuts. Not sure of the exact starting date though....

Sir Pompously

Would have been around then, I remeber getting the bus to the airport to spot planes when I was in year 8/9 which would have been 2002/2003. It was the Piecart then, and only like $5.

Sir Pompously

Got an email at work about the new service to start tomorrow which is run by Royale Limousines. $10 one way, $20 return with the first weekday service from the airport at 07:08 and last service is 17:38 from the airport. From the City the first weekday service is 07:38 with the last service at 18:08, with all services leaving from West Row (At the AdShel shelters, not City West or City Interchange).

Hopefully I can still get a discount, but I am not exactly confident that they will offer one. I have put the question to Canberra Airport and hopefully I get a prompt answer from them as I know some staff who do actually get the bus to and from the airport as it is their only means of travel.

http://www.canberraairport.com.au/PDF/BusTimetable.pdf

Bus 400

Spotted this Airport Express bus today. It is a mini bus in a red Airport Express livery & an attached trailer. A big cut from the normal size DTG bus. But then again, DTG started the Airliner with those pie cart buses.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 05, 2011, 07:19:57 PM
Spotted this Airport Express bus today. It is a mini bus in a red Airport Express livery & an attached trailer.
Tried to get a photo of bus today, but it left early. Bus in question is a Mitsubishi/Fuso Rosa. It has ACT registration, but does not appear to have an accreditation number.

Bus 400