Redex: Impressions from Day One

Started by Bus 400, November 16, 2009, 02:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Went on a few Redex services today, it is a lovely quick trip. I think once it is known Redex will work better. At the moment people are just catching their regular route service as they are a bit unsure of where it goes.

However each trip I took to the Railway terminus I was the only one from Barton. But Gungahlin to City had quite a few on.

388 & 389 were also doing Redex runs, 388 didn't have the new update & just had "special" up, while 389 had the proper desto.

The sad sight was I went to photograph the very first service from the Railway, but it didn't turn up & the Southside Operations Manager was there as well.

Buzz Killington

I got a service from Gungahlin to City and then back again during the mid-morning. I agree with Bus 400's observations - it seemed that most people at both ends were unaware of the service and were also unaware that it was a free one.

The audible 'Next Stop' information over the speaker system is fantastic and works very well (although one driver doing a northbound service said that she didn't know how to change the screen which was displaying the Southbound heading on it, but after resetting her desto it changed over, so chances are she forgot to change the desto when she commenced from Kingston

I had a few bogans seated within earshot of me on the Gungahlin to City service and even they commented that it was a new route AND a new bus (391), and were also pretty impressed with the next stop info, commenting on how it was "sick" of the bus to have GPS Stop Info fitted.

Both drivers I had were telling most commuters about the service and double-checking where they were getting off just in case it was at a non-Redex stop. I didn't see any passengers attempt to flag the bus from non-Redex stops and most only gave the bus a quick glance as it flew past.

Both runs I caught probably had about fifteen passengers between Gunners and City, so once word gets out I think it will improve. Especially if word about free buses gets out! (One driver just had the wayfarer covered with a vest, the other held her hand over the machine), and both printed cash tickets for each passenger.

Bus 400

They are meant to as stats are being counted, as the drivers have to mark how many board/depart each stop.

One driver gave me my ticket, while others had huge lists of printed tickets.

Buzz Killington

I'm aware of the reasoning behind printing the cash tickets.

That said, a clipboard and pen could do the same job.

Bus 400

They have that was well (in their fancy shift FOLDER). Probably just making sure the numbers add up & which stops to remove/add in the future.

Bus 400

-

Snorzac

I first got Redex from the City to Kingston . I was the only passenger on for the whole time. The way back was a lot busier picking up a lot of pax at Russell and in the City. Leaving the CityI counted 40 pax.

If you ask me other than peak hours there is no demand for this route. There is not enough patronage for it. It is a good idea but the wrong execution.

Bus 400

One thing I did notice is that there was plenty of time Kingston bound, but the buses were always either a minute late or right on time Gungahlin bound.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 16, 2009, 05:09:08 PM
They have that was well (in their fancy shift FOLDER).
I believe that (some) drivers are required to enter their running times. That way they can measure how accurate the timings are and adjust them as necessary.

Looks like my post from yesterday failed due to the server crash. I caught 4 different buses only one of which had the next stop screen fully working. For some reason in 397 running south the GPS stopped working - the screen just showed "Gungahlin to Kingston"with the ACTION logo but no stop information was being displayed. And as 'Bus 400' would know, the screen in 400 wasn't working although the announcements still did - this may be related to a problem when 400 was delivered the screen didn't turn off when the bus was shut down.

Barry Drive

ACTION's website is asking for feedback on the Redex service. It is using the standard ACT Government feedback system which is not the best, but if you want ACTION to know your opinions, click here.

Bus 400

I just tried that apparently my email is already in the system, but the system can't find my account when I go to log in under that email.
I was being nice & all as well, well it has disappeared now.

particleman

Redex: So far so good, only 2 Eddies boys ever to catch this bus so far (on Monday, Gunners-City, though I still have to walk past on my way to College) and I was the only one to catch Gunners-Kingston all 3 times I have been on.

I brought up the Eddies boys because they don't seem to have the capability to STFU (Marist and Grammar boys are able to do this) so expect a nice quiet ride in the morning.

Sir Pompously

They would probably have been the same two I saw get off at the Railway station the other day when getting photos of Redex at about 10:30 (Skipping their first few classes....)!

Love the idea, hate the execution. I think atleast one of the original routes would have been far better to trial, not this choice of route! But hey, I don't run the bus service.....