Candid #Canberra

Started by Buzz Killington, August 22, 2012, 08:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

I'm thinking of adding a new section to the ACT Bus website that I'm hoping some members will be interested in contributing to.

The basic idea is that members will post a photo to the site that they have taken in Canberra - interesting pieces of infrastructure (this can include street signs, unique stores, interesting pieces of road, even landscape shots), together with a short (maximum of a paragraph) blurb about the photo.

If anyone is interested, please send me a message or even start posting your photos and descriptions in this thread for starters and I'll get them up onto the site.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

I don't know if anyone can add more to this, but I found this sign at the entrance to Commonwealth Park near the underpass from the ANZAC Park West offices. There appears to be a few of these old signs with "National Capital Open Space" around Lake Burley Griffin.

smitho

Those signs were pretty common prior to ACT self-government and (I think) were erected by the NCDC. What is unusual about the sign in your photo is that it was erected by an ACT Government agency.

(Since self government, the NCOSS has generally been identified by the ACT administration as 'Canberra Nature Park' although for official planning and legislative purposes, the correct name remains the National Capital Open Space System).

Bus 400

These are photos of the wall that was kept from the old Shell Service Station at the intersection of Novar & Dudley Streets in Yarralumla. The service station was knocked down in 2000, with this wall being kept & the unit complex having been designed around it. Back in 1993, the service station was highlighted as something of heritage interest. But nothing was done, then in 2011 a request for heritage status was investigated & failed due to a wall not being enough.
http://www.environment.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/235539/289.pdf

smitho

There was a second service station in Yarralumla...bet no one can guess where it was. Not a trace of it survives.

Hint: Part of the site where it was located is now occupied by a fitness centre.

Barry Drive

How much do you want to bet? It's actually shown on the 1933 Canberra Map on currently display at CMAG. (BTW, the only surviving "Garage" from that map is the 7 Eleven at Braddon.)

Bus 400

Below is another style of street signs from Canberra's yesteryear.

This one at the intersection of Young St & Gipps Street in Barton is the only one I've seen in this condition, the other one a bit further down Young St is wearing a little.

While this one on Elimatta Street & ANZAC Park (Reid)  is of the quality I've seen before.

Bus 400

Quote from: smitho on October 12, 2012, 10:34:25 PM
There was a second service station in Yarralumla...bet no one can guess where it was. Not a trace of it survives.

Hint: Part of the site where it was located is now occupied by a fitness centre.

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 13, 2012, 12:43:59 PM
How much do you want to bet? It's actually shown on the 1933 Canberra Map on currently display at CMAG. (BTW, the only surviving "Garage" from that map is the 7 Eleven at Braddon.)

On my 1987 street directory, there is a garage behind Hotel Canberra on Flynn Drive.

Bus 400

I may not get out there for a while, but if someone is after another Candid Canberra photo. A new sign was installed on the eastern side of Scrivener Dam & the old NCDC has been left there.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on December 25, 2012, 03:17:57 PM
On my 1987 street directory, there is a garage behind Hotel Canberra on Flynn Drive.

Yeah, used to use that service station occasionally. From memory, it was a full service affair, a bit pricey and rarely busy.

It was demolished as part of the Hotel Canberra renovations and extensions (when it became a Hyatt hotel).

Bus 400

This is a sign on Jerrabomberra Avenue, Griffith at the Frome Street intersection.