International/Unusual Visitors to Canberra

Started by Snorzac, April 19, 2012, 10:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorzac

With the Cedar of Lebanon visiting Canberra we had an Airbus A330-200 in Canberra for a few days, on Tuesday I headed out to catch the departure of F-ORMA belonging to Middle Eastern Airlines.

and to go with these two here is the token Dash 8 departing off runway 17

smitho

Very nice pics, Lemon.

You should submit to 'Australian Aviation' magazine.

Snorzac

The official photographer for Australian Aviation was there, otherwise I would have.

I finally got your greetings from one of my collegues yesterday, however when driving the older one around in the future please make sure you drop her as far away from the store as possible.

smitho

Quote from: Mayor McCheese on April 22, 2012, 12:50:52 PM

I finally got your greetings from one of my collegues yesterday, however when driving the older one around in the future please make sure you drop her as far away from the store as possible.

..........not quite sure what you're on about here.....???????????????????????????????????///

Snorzac

lol, apparently you said to say hi to two of my collegues and dropped them at the stop at the front of my workplace. I don't really like one of them.

smitho

Oh, OK....I think that was a while back....

Snorzac

Snorzac

This afternoon Thai Airways came to stay for the night with Airbus A340-500 HS-TLD arriving about 4pm:

ATR75-500 VH-FVM climbs as the A340 parks.

The A340 departs at 1500 tomorrow.

Snorzac

Virgin Australia ATR72-600 VH-FVP 'Watagoes Beach' (first of its type on the Australian register) made it's first visit to Canberra today for route proving and ground crew training. It is very quiet opposed to the 500s!

smitho

Nice pictures McCheese.

Those A 340s are a beaut aircraft to fly in; did a return trip Melbourne/Manchester/Melbourne with Emirates in various models of the A340s in 2005.

New Virgin prop looks good in their new livery too.

Buzz Killington

The new Virgin livery has grown on me a bit, but I still really liked the old red one

Sir Pompously

The new livery looks great on smaller planes, but the larger it gets the worse it looks (Too much white). Other liveries like AirNZ, Ansett etc which have/had a white livery break up the white by having a colourful tail.

Snorzac

Air China's A330-200 B-6131 made a visit to Canberra this week, seen here departing for Cairns on a beautiful Thursday afternoon from my new vantage point:

Buzz Killington

smitho

Bus 400

If anyone is out at Canberra Airport tomorrow night/early Tuesday morning. Leonardo Di Caprio & someone else (plus possibly their posse) are reportedly flying down to Canberra from Sydney to take a 747 back to America.

They are apparently flying out via Canberra due to our curfew.
(http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/nocurfew-capital-helps-jet-set-party-on-and-on-20121228-2bzou.html)

Snorzac

The aircraft arrives about 0830 tomorrow morning.

Snorzac

A few interesting ones yesterday:

Airbus A340-200 V8-BKH of Royal Brunei Airlines came in on Wednesday with the Sultan of Brunei and is seen here departing Canberra

To go with the defense white paper announcement there was an assortment of military aircraft visiting Canberra, namely these two super hornets and C17 Globemaster:

Snorzac

Royal Thai Airforce Airbus A310 HS-TYQ departing on Monday

smitho

Nice pics again, thanks Zac.

From memory, the A310 was a relatively infrequent visitor to Australia in years past.

Wiki says that A310 hull-loss accidents amount to 10 with a total of 825 fatalities while hijackings number10 with a total of five fatalities.

Accidents include :-

31 July 1992: Thai Airways International Flight 311, an A310-304 carrying 99 passengers and 14 crew, crashed on approach to Tribhuvan International Airport. All 113 on board were killed.
23 March 1994: Aeroflot Flight 593, an A310-300 carrying 63 passengers and 12 crew, crashed in Siberia after the pilot let his son sit at the controls and the autopilot partially disconnected.

Snorzac

A few in recent time:

Alliance Airlines operated charters for the election media with Fokker 70s VH-JFB and VH-JFE, seen here is JFB.

This morning we had a Qantas 767 in, whilst the aircraft itself has been a regular visitor to CBR it now features a spectacular livery for the Disney movie 'Planes'. The 'Premi-air' for this movie took place on board this aircraft at 30000ft on Saturday using the 'Q-streaming' iPad technology.

Also this morning we has a visit from Royal New Zealand Airforce Boeing 757-200C NZ7571

Snorzac

Air New Zealand Boeing 767-300ER ZK-NCI and Qantas New Zealand (Jetconnect) Boeing 737-800 ZK-ZQG paid us a visit last night due to storms in Sydney

smitho

terrific photos Captain ...wonder if JetConnect have any 200s left....

Buzz Killington

Love the photos Zac. Hard to pick a favourite but the colour of the sky in the third one is awesome.

Snorzac

This beauty arrived on Tuesday and departed today, All Nippon Airways sent one of their Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, registered JA788A on a charter to Wellington, Canberra and Sydney carrying a bunch of high profile Japanese business men, what really amazed me was the state of the aircraft, it's four years old, but you'd pick it as been fresh out of the factory!!!

Battling cross winds on approach to runway 35

Burning some rubber.

Taxiing off the Special Purpose Apron for departure

Lift off for Sydney!

Climbing away! 

smitho

Snorzac

Today Qantas Freight Boeing 737-300F VH-XML made a visit to Canberra on a special charter, here it is departing in out wonderful weather!

smitho

Looks like this aircraft is carrying the old kangaroo logo but new style lettering.

Snorzac

Two aircraft from a while back now, must have come through when the site was having issue; Japan Self Defence Service Boeing 747-400s 20-1101 (first photo) and 20-1102 (photos 2 and 3) visited Canberra from July 7-9 and are seen here departing:

Today we also had some Spanish dignitaries visit bringing with them Airbus A310-300 T.22-1

smitho

Nice pics, Lemon.

Apparently sales of the new version of the 747 (747-800?) have been pretty slow; the Boeing spin seems to be that it was intended mainly as a freighter.

Air NZ is retiring the last of its 747 fleet; they were a late starter with Jumbos - bought their first in the aftermath of the Mt Erebus prang....prior to then, it was DC10s.

Snorzac

With G20 wrapping up in Brisbane there have been a few interesting movements into Canberra with more still to come, unfortunately I wasn't there to photograph these so credit goes to Bernie Proctor, images used with permission.

B-5342 CI B738 35 YSCB-7208 by A u s s i e P o m m, on Flickr
Air China Boeing 737-800 B-5342 rotates off Runway 35 with the Chinese president onboard bound for Hobart.

B-2472 CI B744 35 YSCB-7245 by A u s s i e P o m m, on Flickr
Air China Boeing 747-400 B-2472 rotates off runway 35 for Sydney

VT-EVA AI B744 35 YSCB-7265 by A u s s i e P o m m, on Flickr

VT-EVA AI B744 35 YSCB-7267 by A u s s i e P o m m, on Flickr

Air India Boeing 747-400 VT-EVA blasts off runway 35 with the Indian Prime Minister onboard.

smitho

Nice pics; can't recall either airline having visited Canberra before.

Snorzac

Air China has with an A330, pics in reply 12 of this thread. Im sure Air India would have at some point as well!

smitho

Seem to recall that when Air India ran RPT services to/from Australia, its livery included a sultan figure on the tail - but haven't been able to confirm this using internet.

Air India beat Qantas in becoming the world's first all jet airline in the early 1960s.

Snorzac

To start with we had the Qantas retro jet in under sunlight yesterday afternoon, this aircraft is the final 737-800 to be delivered and is names 'James Strong' after the former CEO
December-7396 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Today we also had possibly the ugliest and certainly the most unique movement at Canberra that I have seen, UTair Aviation Antonov AN-74-200 RA-74103 coming in on a charter.
December-7510 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

December-7519 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Snorzac

Another one, Qatar 777-300ER A7-BAI arrived today with the Qatar soccer team before departing direct to Doha late in the night.
A7-BAI by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

smitho

Quote from: Captain Skybed on December 29, 2014, 12:56:11 AM
Another one, Qatar 777-300ER A7-BAI arrived today with the Qatar soccer team before departing direct to Doha late in the night.

Great photos Captain; but that Qatar aeroplane was on the tarmac over near the Fairbairn terminal when I arrived on an evening flight from Adelaide last night.

Got the impression it'd only recently arrived as internal lights were on and there appeared to be people on board still.

Snorzac

It departed midnight on Sunday, so when your flight arrived from ADL at 2105 it was still refueling.

Snorzac

About two weeks ago now we had out first 787 Dreamliner arrival, Boeing 787-8 BBJ A6-PFC of the Abu Dhabi Amari flight is seen both arriving and departing in the following pics.
A6-PFC by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Snorzac

It has been a long time since we have had any decent heavy movements and after a long drought the floodgates have certainly opened this week!

First up we have Iran Government Airbus A340-200 EP-APA taxiing for departure to Sydney late last night
EP-AJA by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Next we have the aircraft previously posted in this thread, Boeing 787-8 A6-PFC of the United Arab Emirates arriving and departing today

Buzz Killington

I spotted the 787 today when i was at Majura and wondered what it was. Thanks for the photos!

Snorzac

VH-EAG by Zac Mathes, on Flickr
Connie arriving for the Airport Open Day, not often does this girl fly these days, one of only three airworthy examples in the world!

Snorzac

Had a slack few months with editing, a couple from last month;

D-APGS by Zac Mathes, on Flickr
Airbus ACJ319 D-APGS taxi for departure to Sydney

F-RAJA by Zac Mathes, on Flickr
French Government Airbus A340-300 F-RAJA departing bound for Tokyo after a short 4hr stint on the ground at Canberra, this aircraft was accompanied by an A330 as well however lighting was not good so pictures didnt really work.

This Sunday I braved the wet and headed out to see Qantas 128 which had diverted from Sydney enroute from Hong Kong due to the weather, this flight was operated by Boeing 747-438ER VH-OEH "Hervey Bay"

VH-OEH by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Snorzac

Interesting week in Canberra, first up Dubai Air Wing Boeing 747-400 A6-HRM on Tuesday, followed tonight by Azerbaijan Government ACJ319 HK-8888

A6-HRM-2134 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

A6-HRM-2147 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

A6-HRM-2151 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

HK-8888-2246 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

HK-8888-2261 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

Snorzac

Since last updating this thread there has been an abundance of movements to document!

We start off back in April with Volga Dnepr IL76 RA-76511 arriving from Jakarta, then we go forward to Royal Thai Airforce Airbus A340-500 HS-TYV in August, followed by Republique du Niger Boeing 737 BBJ1 5U-GRN, and then we come to this week with Italian Airforce ACJ319-100 MM62209, Qantas Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner VH-ZNA, Vietnam Airlines Boeing 787-9 VN-A868 andRegional Express SAAB 340 VH-ZJS . I am currently seeking permissions on a friends photos and will add them to this thread in the future.

RA-76511-2724 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

HS-TYV by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

5U-GRN by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

MM62209-9980 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

MM62209-9987 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VH-ZNA-0322 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VH-ZNA-0336 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VH-ZNA-0365 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VH-ZNA-0377 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VN-A868-0618 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VN-A868-0636 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr

VH-ZJS-0710 by Zac Mathes, on Flickr