Once upon a bus route

Started by smitho, August 30, 2010, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

I was doing a mid afternoon northbound Route 80 during my 'Days of Christmas' ** shift and was getting good loadings from DFO and beyond....a bit surprising in view of how dead Fyshwick is at holiday time...even well dressed white collar workers.

Railway station usually produced a dozen or more punters off the lunchtime train from Sydney.

** 'Days of Christmas' shifts included Christmas Eve this time.

Bus 503

Was on NXTBUS the other day and found some stops that seemed ghostly.

The first was one at Longstay (I think that's how you spell it) caravan park, which on Google maps suggested a peg was/is there.

The second was Kevin street - Apparantly this is opposite a school??

Does anyone know what service(s) stopped there?

King of Buses

School services do/did stop there at a guess. One way to find out would be to go to these stops and check if they still exis and/or have NXTBUS blades with SSO flags. Regarding the caravan park one, Christmas route 94 goings in and turns around at what most likely is this stop. Kevin St if it is opposite school is probably the schools stop...or one of them

Bus 503

Oh. *looks at Christmas day timetable*

Interesting to note that Arthur circle, Blaxland Crescent, and Matina street all have bus runs then. They don't have weekday services, so I wonder why they'd have Christmas day services.

And that would make sense. Matina street (past the terminus) has 2 pegs (says Google maps). One is supposedly used for school services but NXTBUS has never showed any school routes going down there. The name of the stop is called: MATINA STREET DO NOT MOVE REQUIRED FOR SSO. The other stop opposite is dead.....

Barry Drive

A check of the ACTION website shows School Route 482 commences from the Longstay Caravan Park (Stop #33) but route 871 drops off on Narrabundah Lane (Stop #4962).

Kevin Street stop #6176 does appear unused, since the sole Evatt Primary School service uses Heydon Cr.

Bus 503

Noted that Mackenzie Street has bus stops. I believe the 620/684 service this street. Is there any reason for this? I don't know why this street would need to be serviced though. It is like any random small street but has school routes. Why??

Also, what service service Geogina Crescent Kaleen North terminus? I have seen the occasional not in service bus but the stop has current blades...

Re: Mackenzie St (Hackett) - for young kids, it's a fair walk down to the main stops on Madigan, and also uphill in the return direction. The school routes service local primary schools, not high schools, so are designed to cater for kids of that age and get them closer to home. I'm sure MyWay/enrolment data dictates - to a certain extent - demand for school routes in such areas. It's not just Hackett - lots of suburbs have school routes that go 'off the beaten track' - just browse the maps on the ACTION website.

Re: Georgina Cres - fairly sure a school route uses this as a terminus - a search of the ACTION website would confirm.

Bus 503

Quote from: 743 on August 09, 2015, 10:12:39 PM
Re: Mackenzie St (Hackett) - for young kids, it's a fair walk down to the main stops on Madigan, and also uphill in the return direction. The school routes service local primary schools, not high schools, so are designed to cater for kids of that age and get them closer to home. I'm sure MyWay/enrolment data dictates - to a certain extent - demand for school routes in such areas. It's not just Hackett - lots of suburbs have school routes that go 'off the beaten track' - just browse the maps on the ACTION website.

Re: Georgina Cres - fairly sure a school route uses this as a terminus - a search of the ACTION website would confirm.

Okay,thanks for that.

Gorging CRESCENT appears to be serviced by SR 620 in the morning and nothing in the arvo. I wonder if the 620 goes up the whole way though?

Quote from: Bus 503 on August 10, 2015, 08:13:27 PMGorging CRESCENT appears to be serviced by SR 620 in the morning and nothing in the arvo. I wonder if the 620 goes up the whole way though?
Have you looked at the map for it?

Bus 503

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on August 09, 2015, 07:46:17 PM
Also, ... Geogina Crescent (sic) Kaleen North terminus? I have seen the occasional not in service bus but the stop has current blades...
Maybe you should report this to ACTION so they can affix a School Services Only supplementary blade.

https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/app/forms/action_feedback

Bus 503

Does anyone know when and what routes serviced Dryandra street? Did they go the full length of Dryandra?

Look through the old networks on the ACT Bus website and you should find some info.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bus 503

Quote from: 743 on October 15, 2015, 07:45:32 AM
Look through the old networks on the ACT Bus website and you should find some info.

I found out the route 35 serviced a bit of Dryandra street.

Attached below, did that thing used to be a peg? It's located at Mount Stromlo observatory.

And, has anyone checked out the unserviced part of Nemerang street Waramango? Maps says it has pegs...

I think the Mount Stromlo thing is a concrete reflector. There is however a disused peg down around the Cotter Dam.

I doubt the Waramanga pegs are still there - the NXTBUS blades went up in December 2013 (ish). Services weren't removed from that part of the street until September 2014.

Bus 503

Quote from: 743 on October 27, 2015, 01:35:53 PM
I think the Mount Stromlo thing is a concrete reflector. There is however a disused peg down around the Cotter Dam.

I doubt the Waramanga pegs are still there - the NXTBUS blades went up in December 2013 (ish). Services weren't removed from that part of the street until September 2014.

Okay, thanks for that.

I was trying to find out where this peg is located at some substation... The link provides the picture. Does this "stop" still have ACTION routes? http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=2357.0

And is the peg and shelter at Gunghalin Cemetary still there?

King of Buses

Quote from: Bus 503 on October 31, 2015, 09:27:39 PM

I was trying to find out where this peg is located at some substation... The link provides the picture. Does this "stop" still have ACTION routes? http://www.actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=2357.0

And is the peg and shelter at Gunghalin Cemetary still there?

83 serves that substation stop. It is on Heysen St at the back of Lyons. No peg anymore though.

Last time I checked, Gungahlin Cemetery has its infrastructure still.

Quote from: King of Buses on October 31, 2015, 09:46:24 PM
83 serves that substation stop. It is on Heysen St at the back of Lyons. No peg anymore though.

Last time I checked, Gungahlin Cemetery has its infrastructure still.
Cemetery still has the shelter, but no peg.

Bus 503

What School route services Banskia street? The stops have current blades with SSO flags as well, but with NXTBUS not working on those stops, and with ACTION's website not showing anything for those stops, I haven't been able to find out any information on these stops.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 13, 2015, 09:11:13 PM
What School route services Banskia street? The stops have current blades with SSO flags as well, but with NXTBUS not working on those stops, and with ACTION's website not showing anything for those stops, I haven't been able to find out any information on these stops.
Didn't you mention that the 300 series serviced Banksia St at one point according to NXTBUS?  :P
Sorry I couldn't be of more help

You're right, there's nothing showing on the ACTION site. Which means there are no services along there.

The blades could be there from a previous service and not removed. It wouldn't be the only instance of this - stop 3176 on Antill St, Hackett, has a NXTBUS blade, but isn't even on the NXTBUS website - and rightly so, because nothing stops there.

Bus 503

Is the end of Copland Drive which leads into and intersection with Owen Dixon Drive a former terminus?

On another note, I sighted a peg in the distance on Wakefield Avenue at ABC, the Maitland Street SSO peg and the one at Knox Street after Winderyer.

Bus 503

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 13, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
Didn't you mention that the 300 series serviced Banksia St at one point according to NXTBUS?  :P

313/343 continue to service this stop even though about 3 requests for information have been ignored.
I've submitted 2 RFI's and someone on Facebook has also recently submitted a "Post to Page" on this as well.

In the picture attached, is that a former bus stop? It is located in the Froggatt and Masson Street intersection.

Bus 400

Quote from: Bus 503 on October 27, 2015, 06:11:47 AM
And, has anyone checked out the unserviced part of Nemerang street Waramango? Maps says it has pegs...

There are only the poles left on the unserviced part of Nemarang St.

Bus 503

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 25, 2015, 12:27:33 PM

There are only the poles left on the unserviced part of Nemarang St.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Bus 503

I was looking around on the forum on the older Where Is It(s) and I came across some guesses which I had some questions about.

In Where Is It 45, someone replies:
Just got to be Derrington Cres, I recall getting shown these stops by fellow gunzels.

Does Derrington Crescent have old bus stops and did a bus once pass through there?

And then in Where Is It 72, the correct guess is Helen Mayo Street off Kingscote Crescent.

Did Helen Mayo Street once receive a bus service, and if the picture was taken on Helen Mayo Street, why does the gallery say it was taken on Kingscote Crescent (with the bus facing the wrong way round :).

http://www.actbus.net/gallery/index.php/ACTION-Buses-Current/Renault-PR100-2-Mk2/Bus-941/Bus-941-Kingscote-Crescent

Buzz Killington

Derrington and Helen Mayo have not had bus services.

Gallery caption is incorrect - the photo was taken on Helen Mayo Cr. From memory Busnerd and myself chanced upon it and presumably it was a driver popping home between runs.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 503 on November 20, 2015, 09:14:29 PM
Is the end of Copland Drive which leads into and intersection with Owen Dixon Drive a former terminus?
It certainly does look like it could have been. But, as far as I can find out - no.

Going back to 1976, there was a route which used the current "Spence Terminus" location. (Thanks to Luke for the use of his old map.) I've not been able to find a timetable any earlier.

If I can turn anything up, I'll post a reply.

smitho

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 13, 2015, 10:07:04 PM
The former Civic Interchange to Orana & Montessori Schools (via Dickson, O'Connor and Turner) school bus route served Banksia Street until Network 14.