Mitchell Fire

Started by Bus 400, September 16, 2011, 06:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

For those who aren't on twitter, all ACTION Bus Services have been cancelled to North Canberra. Us twitter followers will keep you updated.

Alternative is to call Canberra Connect.

For the twitter followers see ACT_ESA (https://twitter.com/#!/ACT_ESA) for more.

Bus 400

Just overheard ACTION Two-Way, no buses north of Lake Burley Griffith. So sleep in time for all (who were woken up to be told no work today like me).

p_stampy

Thats a 10km radius of mitchell

Bus 400

Buses are back to normal, except for Gungahlin to City. They will run via Gundaroo Drive & Barton Highway. Major delays can be expected.

A bit of background for you guys. During the diversion, Blue Rapids,705,785 & 787 terminated at Woden Bus Station. Routes 2,3 & 6 started/terminated from Barton Interchange. Routes 4,5,265 & 267 terminated at Russel.
ACTION Supervisor's were set up at Russel & extra staff at Woden & Tuggeranong.

Buzz Killington

Intertowns were terminating at Woden to the delight of the commuters, both already on the bus and waiting to board them.

Though the desto's I noticed all had "WODEN" rather than City/Fraser/Spence

Bus 400

ACTION Bus Routes 956 & 958 will be diverted around Mitchell all weekend (unless things change) due to the fire. It is unknown what the exact diversion will be at my end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lukeo25

I caught a 732 to opposite the treasurery building this morning, thankfully the driver was trying his best to explain to passengers for the city by saying the best he could not get there, thankfully my bus to Sydney was not affected

Snorzac

Fire is now out, Mitchell will remain as an exclusion zone for until at least Monday.

For those interested the route 200S diversion was to Mapleton Ave as per usual running, L Mapleton, R Horsepark and onto the Federal Hwy, I assume the reverse of this was in place for 200/50N as well as peak extensions of 50 series routes.

I did see a 56 coming off the Barton Hwy at William Slim, not sure what diversion they were taking....

Merv319

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 16, 2011, 08:21:20 PM
ACTION Bus Routes 956 & 958 will be diverted around Mitchell all weekend (unless things change) due to the fire. It is unknown what the exact diversion will be at my end.

Thanks for your information, it's really useful for me, a 958 user.

And let me post three photos;

Administrator: Edited

Bus 400

This weekend's diversion is as seen below:
Friday Diversion:

Weekend Diversion:

Here is a photo of a bus stop closure poster at EPIC:

This style of bus stop closure is new to ACTION & this is the second time I've seen one of these in use. All the poster is missing is somewhere to write where the nearest bus stop is (as seen by the texta over the bollard).

Some bus photos to finish things off.

Here is Bus 378 diverting along Barton Highway

We then see Bus 433 shooting along Well Station Drive on a 958.

Also Merv319, to us the photos can't be viewed as they are from your Facebook account, to fix this just give us the links (this should work). I know where the photos come from because I am a genius, not really I just selected "copy url" when I right clicked in the little logo (of what should be the photos).

Merv319

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 17, 2011, 08:30:47 PM
Also Merv319, to us the photos can't be viewed as they are from your Facebook account, to fix this just give us the links (this should work). I know where the photos come from because I am a genius, not really I just selected "copy url" when I right clicked in the little logo (of what should be the photos).

Thx for letting me know...
There we go, the links;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2281891259742&l=330ee45339
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2281959861457&l=684604b51e
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2281982862032&l=7f2a4efdf1

Barry Drive

Quote from: Merv319 on September 18, 2011, 12:59:35 PM
Thx for letting me know...
There we go, the links;
For future reference, what you do is from the image in facebook right-click and select Properties. From the box that opens you will see in the middle "Address (URL) " and the URL of a jpg file (example: http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312735_2281891259742_1622655053_2367081_881747591_n.jpg). This is the file name you then use to post the photos.

Bus 400

Going by the latest information from the ESA (http://www.esa.act.gov.au/ESAWebsite/content_esa/home_page/esa_home_page.html), ACTION services should go back to normal from first service Monday (19/09/2011).

Now that it is all over, this event shows why ACTION need a twitter account. Through a twitter account, more detail could of been given to each route. But all in all this unexpected event was handled well in my book & I do feel sorry for the poor starters & supervisors who had a few issues to deal with at very early in the morning (which no one ever wants).

EDIT-This is from the ACTION website:

ACTION services Monday 19 September
ACTION services will operate as normal. However, Gungahlin bound services ie outbound will be detoured around the partial road closure in Flemington Rd, between Randwick Rd and Sandford St.

This would be at the Flemington Road Ponds that is being decontaminated. Suspected diversion is as follows:

Bus 400

With one northbound lane on Flemington Road being re-opened all routes return to normal.

Here are two photos of buses using Randwick Road during the diversion:

Bus 426

Bus 808

What made this annoying was that as I left here I saw a lot of buses skipping EPIC all together & just shooting straight up the Barton Highway.

Working just around the corner from the fire, I decided to have a look at how close this fire almost became a diaster. Here is a photo of the back of the warehouse that burnt down.

Kramden

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 23, 2011, 11:03:24 PM
Here are two photos of buses using Randwick Road during the diversion:
Bus 426
I have sneaking suspicion I could have been on bus 426.  I was buddy-ing for a colleague on a gradual return to work on Wednesday about 16:50.  As we drove along Randwick Rd the driver said, "looks like a copper ahead".  But as we got closer I noticed it was a person in plain clothes taking pics. No drama, besides we weren't speeding. 

Bus 400

That would of been me, I was in my work fluro jacket at the time. You guys weren't the only ones, after you guys drove past I reversed the jacket to show the blue, cloth side.

I did wonder why the bus slowed down more then normal & that explains it.