Belconnen-Civic Transitway

Started by smitho, July 23, 2011, 09:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

'Community Noticeboard'  in today's CT includes notice that from 1 August 11 to 1 February 12, Rudd St will be closed between Marcus Clarke St and Hutton St on account of roadworks associated with the Transitway project.

Bus 400

A copy of this notice can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/229214/Rudd_Street_City_Baulderstone_Advert_4.pdf

It is funny how Rudd Street will be opened at 17:00 on the 1st August with completion of the sewer works. It is then closed for another 6 months. But it is good to see work is progressing quickly on this project.

Barry Drive

The Development Application for the City West bus station roadworks (between Kingsley & Marcus Clarke Streets) can be found here. Comments close 26 August.

Bus 400

One could assume that this has to do with the new ANU Exchange/City West Bus Station:

Marcus Clarke Street bus stop closure– Belconnen bound

The bus stop on Marcus Clarke Street just before Barry Drive, Belconnen bound, will cease to serviced after the last bus run on Sunday 11 September.
The nearest serviced bus stop is located on Alinga Street.
https://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html

So get your camera's out boys.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 05, 2011, 07:34:31 PM
One could assume that this has to do with the new ANU Exchange/City West Bus Station:

Apparently the southbound intertown stop will be relocated to ANU Xchange, while the northbound stop will remain somewhere on Marcus Clarke.

Apparently the Xchange road is not considered wide enough to have both southbound and northbound stops located on it.

route56

A rep from AECOM, the contractor, gave a presentation on this at the Belconnen Community Council last month. It will be online at some point and you can watch it.  I'll post a link when its online.

Bus 400

Here is Bus 350 as one of the buses to stop at this stop on the last day in service. The new Marcus Clarke Street stop should be near where the current carpark bays are on Marcus Clarke Street.

smitho

Quote from: route56 on September 06, 2011, 10:46:46 PM
A rep from AECOM, the contractor, gave a presentation on this at the Belconnen Community Council last month. It will be online at some point and you can watch it.  I'll post a link when its online.

Is it on-line yet?

Bus 400

A notice in today's Canberra Times Community Notice states that the carpark at the intersection of Barry Drive & Watson Street will be closed from 27 February 2012 to 28 October 2012 for the Belconnen to City Transitway.

While nothing is on the TAMS Road Closure website at the moment, the Community Noticeboard that shows this closure can be found at http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/119209/community_noticeboard.pdf

Barry Drive

Work on the Bus Lane (Clunies Ross St to Kingsley St) has commenced. See media release.

smitho

Recently noticed a new 'bus stop' painted on the Barry Drive road surface northbound on the Civic side of the road which the number 3's use to access the ANU campus; not sure whether it'll be a temporary replacement for the stop closer to Clunies Ross while the Transitway construction is in progress....

Bus 400

The cement divider on Marcus Clarke Street has been removed. With the future Northbound Platform now fenced off with cement bollard thingy's. It does look like a temporary bus stop has been done up just north of the old northbound bus stop on Marcus Clarke Street.

Quote from: smitho on March 25, 2012, 12:11:46 PM
Recently noticed a new 'bus stop' painted on the Barry Drive road surface northbound on the Civic side of the road which the number 3's use to access the ANU campus; not sure whether it'll be a temporary replacement for the stop closer to Clunies Ross while the Transitway construction is in progress....

I suspect this bus stop is to temporarily replace the bus stop on Barry Drive while the Barry Drive/Clunies Ross Street intersection is having the improvements implemented. I could be wrong though.

With all these bus stop moving, the bus stop footprints will be a bit skew if on the MyWay consoles.

smitho

Article in Canberra Times of 8th April critical of a lack of provision for pedestrians and ACTION users at the Clunies Ross/Barry Drive intersection while the transitway works are in progress. Also makes a more general criticism of a lack of coordination between TAMS and ACTION on bus infrastructure issues ....

......and claims that while motorists interests are consistently looked after by TAMS when road works are undertaken, the interests of ACTION users and pedestrians are neglected, making them 2nd class citizens.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 25, 2012, 04:12:28 PMI suspect this bus stop is to temporarily replace the bus stop on Barry Drive while the Barry Drive/Clunies Ross Street intersection is having the improvements implemented. I could be wrong though.
Whilst visiting the ACTION presentation at the Belconnen Community Council, it was mentioned that this stop (described as being located at McCaughney St/Barry Dr) would become a permanent fixture of the Blue Rapid.

smitho

Quote from: Mayor McSleaze on April 09, 2012, 03:39:13 PM
Whilst visiting the ACTION presentation at the Belconnen Community Council, it was mentioned that this stop (described as being located at McCaughney St/Barry Dr) would become a permanent fixture of the Blue Rapid.

...making it even less 'rapid'!

Barry Drive

From @ACTIONbuses on twitter:
"Barry Drive and Marcus Clarke bus stops reopen on Monday 16 April."
Poorly worded. Are they referring to the new stop on Barry Drive (which can't "reopen" since it never previously existed), and the stop on Marcus Clarke will not be in the same place (so that doesn't qualify as reopening either).

smitho

Rapid progress has occurred this week on the formation of the new bus link access from Marcus Clarke northbound through the ANU 'Xchange' precinct, including clearance of trees/vegetation and footpaths in the vicinity of the former Civic Health Centre on Marcus Clarke.

smitho

Recent Driver Notice advises ACTION drivers that Routes 6 and 8 are not to service new 'temporary' ANU bus stop on Barry Drive (northbound)....due to safety issues.

Bus 400

A notice is also at the stop, it however fails to mention Route 936. Which is in the same boat as route 8. I do find it funny people have to be told that the route 6 doesn't stop there.

On a similar note, one of those ACT Government Projects has gone up on Marcus Clarke Street near Chicken Gourmet. It calls it the Belconnen to City Transitway City Sector.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on April 24, 2012, 12:16:15 PM
. I do find it funny people have to be told that the route 6 doesn't stop there.

When (if) drivers get questioned for not responding to a stop request at such stops, it is handy to have a Drivers' Instruction to quote back to the punters (including any supervisors who might query....)

smitho

Publicity material for ANUEXCHANGE features a colour picture showing two Scania CNGs travelling through the the Exchange, one heading north and the other, southbound.

I checked out the facilities in the Lena Karmel Lodge recently; this building features a lengthy platform verandah facing onto the southbound 'Busway', a large informal refectory (open to the public) and an organic foods market. Accommodation includes 550 beds and 700 bay basement car park (horrific addition to city traffic congestion!).

smitho

Quote from: smitho on April 29, 2012, 12:18:52 AM
Publicity material for ANUEXCHANGE features a colour picture showing two Scania CNGs travelling through the the Exchange, one heading north and the other, southbound.

I checked out the facilities in the Lena Karmel Lodge recently; this building features a lengthy platform verandah facing onto the southbound 'Busway', a large informal refectory (open to the public) and an organic foods market. Accommodation includes 550 beds and 700 bay basement car park (horrific addition to city traffic congestion!).

When completed, 7 shops will front on to the 'busway' platform and another 8 on to Childers Lane.

smitho

Southern ANU Barry Drive stop on Red intertown route northbound is shown on the Wayfarer system as a "Temporary stop".

Barry Drive

The latest version of the ACTION transit feed file shows all City-bound services (which travel via Barry Dr) travelling along the new bus lane then Kingsley St, Rimmer St, Childers St, Marcus Clarke St as from Saturday 9 February 2013. Not sure if it will actually open then, but it won't be much longer.

Belconnen / Turner -bound services are still being shown as travelling the existing route.

Barry Drive

New bus stop to open on 16 February 2013.

The Love Guru

BDC stop description has changed to show the new stop at ANU exchange.
Should make a huge difference to peak hour running, i'd guess a 5-10 minute saving. A lot of that will depend on car drivers doing the right thing and the lights being sequenced properly.

Bus 400

Barry Drive

Intersection Barry Dr / Kingsley St not ready. Marcus Clarke / Rudd St lights only appear half installed as well.

ajw373

They seem to be taking for ever with this with hardly anyone working. For weeks it has looked like all that would be needed is some road resurfacing and line marking, though going be the fact they are slowly marking the existing road it looks like no resurfacing will be done. It really needs it at the intersection of Barry Drive and North Road (into the ANU) and Marcus Clarke Street from Barry Drive to Alinga Street.

Now a question to the bus drivers what do you think of the way the form one lane going up the hill on Barry Drive has been moved down the hill. Does it make things any better or worse? As a regular car driver I think it is bloody stupid, being further up allowed the buses to get a bit of speed on, but now the merge is when they are still starting off. I would also have a guess that traffic turning off Clunies Ross left on to Barry Drive may also cause some issues to buses. It also seems as if the bus lane at the lights is not as clear as it once was too, even though there has been little to no change on approach to it. Maybe needs some red paint on it.

The Love Guru

Quote from: ajw373 on February 16, 2013, 09:23:59 AM
They seem to be taking for ever with this with hardly anyone working. For weeks it has looked like all that would be needed is some road resurfacing and line marking, though going be the fact they are slowly marking the existing road it looks like no resurfacing will be done. It really needs it at the intersection of Barry Drive and North Road (into the ANU) and Marcus Clarke Street from Barry Drive to Alinga Street.

Now a question to the bus drivers what do you think of the way the form one lane going up the hill on Barry Drive has been moved down the hill. Does it make things any better or worse? As a regular car driver I think it is bloody stupid, being further up allowed the buses to get a bit of speed on, but now the merge is when they are still starting off. I would also have a guess that traffic turning off Clunies Ross left on to Barry Drive may also cause some issues to buses. It also seems as if the bus lane at the lights is not as clear as it once was too, even though there has been little to no change on approach to it. Maybe needs some red paint on it.

I do agree things probably worked better when the merge was further up Barry Dr, however there were complaints that it was dangerous due to the cars catching up to the bus before the merge. The idea with all B lights is to allow buses to get in front of the traffic and not have to worry about merging or having to lift off the throttle (which on Barry Dr can cause a bus to not exceed 40 kph on the climb).

Personally, i would have liked to have seen the 3 lanes remain up to the CSIRO turn off half way up the hill with the left lane a bus lane. There would then be no need for the B light at the bottom of the hill and would also increase the amount of time the green light is on for traffic heading out of town.

Barry Drive

Bus lane does need improved signage though.

Tender for stage 2: College St sector is now open.

Barry Drive

Latest reports are that bus lane / Rimmer St bus station will open next Saturday 16 March.

Bus 400

So who has getting ready for bed so they can be on the first bus through the new bus station?

The Love Guru

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to have no life and do that, or even get a photo of the last bus to ever pass the city bound stop on Marcus Clarke.

Bus 400

Quote from: The Love Guru on March 15, 2013, 08:12:17 PMor even get a photo of the last bus to ever pass the city bound stop on Marcus Clarke.

Until a car attempts to verse a bus at the entry or exit to the bus station & buses are diverted that way.

The Love Guru

The stop wont be there tho, it is being decomissioned and removed permanently.

Buzz Killington

For the record, it opened this morning

Quote from: The Love Guru on March 15, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to have no life and do that, or even get a photo of the last bus to ever pass the city bound stop on Marcus Clarke.

LOL.. Just as you predicted yesterday morning, Chris

Barry Drive

Quote from: The Love Guru on March 16, 2013, 09:08:26 AM
The stop wont be there tho, it is being decomissioned and removed permanently.
You mean like the two stops on Gribble St?

Bus 400

Quote from: The Love Guru on March 15, 2013, 08:12:17 PM
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to have no life and do that,

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 16, 2013, 10:00:27 AM
LOL.. Just as you predicted yesterday morning, Chris

I nope none of you are insinuating I was doing that, I only get out of bed before 09:00 on a Saturday if I'm being paid double time.

Barry Drive

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on February 16, 2013, 11:06:04 AM
Tender for stage 2: College St sector is now open.
And the contract for Stage 2 has been awarded to: Cord Civil.

ajw373

The best thing for college street is to duplicate the whole bloody lot, with long pull-in bus lanes at the uni/Radford. Will be interesting to see what kind of mess they can make of this after the mess they made of Barry Drive. Before I get flamed don't actually mind the bus lanes there except it should go up to the CSIRO turn off not stop where it does Belco bound and the car lanes should have been two lanes all the way not this two, becomes 3, becomes 2 becomes 3, becomes 2 business (again Belco bound) that we have.

Barry Drive

AECOM's plan for the Belconnen sector can be found here: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/396342/Belconnen_to_City_Transitway_-_Belconnen_Sector.pdf

And central sector:
http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/396345/Belconnen_to_City_Transitway_-_Central_Sector.pdf

It includes duplication of College St, many bus stop relocations, new bus lanes and traffic lights. Not sure what the scope of the Stage 2 contract includes - possibly just College St to the Haydon Dr intersection.

ajw373

That actually, shock horror looks sensible. The only issue I have is, is does the intersection into CIT (Purdie Street) get that busy that the buses need their own lane there?

Separate lanes makes perfect sense at the corner intersections such as Haydon Drive and Belconnen Way, but not sure why here. I would have also likes to see the dedicated bus lane (which is already in existence) on Haydon Drive at the intersection with College Street extended until after Battye Street, doing so may well negate the need for the bus lane at Purdie Street and give the buses a better run down Hayden Drive.

Barry Drive

Bus lane at Purdie St will help segregate traffic and make the bus stop safer.

The Love Guru

Bus lane should run the full length of Haydon Dr, city bound. Buses are still going to get delayed with the current plan as traffic backs up past the hospital entrances on a daily basis.

ajw373

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on June 26, 2013, 08:50:31 PM
Bus lane at Purdie St will help segregate traffic and make the bus stop safer.

What bus stop?

Barry Drive

The bus stop directly after the Purdie St intersection.

ajw373

Oh you mean the one that on the map above is smack bang in the middle of the form one lane as opposed to where the bus stop is marked on that map (which would be too close to the intersection?

Actually agree with the Love Guru the whole of Haydon Drive from College Street to Belconnen Way needs a bus lane, especially the City bound side but less so Belco bound as the lights at Belconnen Way generally better regulate traffic in that direction.

Barry Drive

Comparing the plan with the work completed so far: the proposed bus stops BEFORE Kirinari St (if heading east) have been moved to after Kirinari St, and traffic signals are being installed at Kirinari / College Sts.

Next week, the Radford College stops (both sides) will be closed. The new AdShel stop (after Kirinari St) will open with the school-only stop located across from it. This will allow the pedestrian crossing lights to be removed and work to commence on the sector between Kirinari St and Haydon Dr. The UC bunker-shelter stops will remain in service (for now).