Fireworks Banned in the ACT

Started by Buzz Killington, August 28, 2009, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was banning fireworks the right decision?

Yes
3 (37.5%)
No
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Buzz Killington

So it turns out this year was the last that we could buy fireworks to use over the June long weekend.

Cats, letterboxes and wowsers are cheering, but what are your thoughts? Glad to see them go, or a bit peeved?

I think it's a bit of a shame that the bad apples ruin it for everybody else but at the end of the day, we still get to see them at special events, but for many, fireworks weekend was a tradition they grew up with.

belcodriver

Quote from: Buzz Killington on August 28, 2009, 08:15:24 PM
I think it's a bit of a shame that the bad apples ruin it for everybody else but at the end of the day, we still get to see them at special events, but for many, fireworks weekend was a tradition they grew up with.

Yes and many in the Southern US grew up with the tradition of lynching uppity blacks. Just because something is traditional is not an argument in favour of it.

Irisbus Rider

Ha, gotta agree, I'm glad it's gone, now, the emergency services and the RSPCA don't have to hold their breath every Queens Birthday long weekend.

Seriously, I saw the F*ckwit factor get very high on that weekend, the amout of stupidity I saw out there was just not called for. I'm sure that it was used responsibly by most; just for a bit of fun, but it is such an unnecessary risk to have to deal with......

Bus 400

I'll let you now by March 2010 wether the banning was a good idea.

As quite a few Friday nights people use to take cars (stolen most of the time) out to the Brindabella's & set them alight. Rural Fire Service Brigades get called out to the sight of flame in the bush & us volunteers get the call t like 2am.

However the last year there were NO burnout cars in the bush. There may of been some in town, but the Paid firies deal with them.

route56

my dog barks at thunder and is afraid of lightning.

i demand stanhope bans thunderstorms.

think of the kids

bubzie

my cat LIKES watching the fireworks, and isnt scared of them.

Great, i need to find something to entertain him with now.