The Shelter Project

Started by Buzz Killington, July 29, 2009, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Introduction
Based on an initial suggestion from Martin and expanded upon by Sir Pompously, I am looking to develop a comprehensive section detailing the various forms of Bus Stop Shelters in Canberra.

This will comprise of two main sections:
- Heritage Listed Shelters - this will fall under the 'History' section of the website
- All other shelters (Bunkers, AdShel etc) - this will come under the 'Information' Section

These sections will be complemented by new albums in the ACT Bus Gallery.

What we need, and how you can help

As this is a rather large project and will no doubt take some time to put together, this project will need to be conducted in an organised fashion.

I ask that members select suburbs that they are able to check and record the types of shelters and their locations, and then present that information in a new thread. The same going for photos:

Shelter types and locations - KAMBAH
Shelter photos - FLYNN

When recording shelters, be sure to include location, and stop number if known (the ones you find on the timetable and on some of the new style of bus stop sign, not the single or two digit number on the older signs)

I ask that the info and photos are posted here, so that others can see which suburbs have been covered.

Any questions can be posted in this thread.

Bus 400

Would it be possible for a list to be made of if people are in the process of checking the shelters in a suburb?

As we don't want to get where people cross paths & have someone spend all day on one area & to see that someone else did that same area on the same day.

I'll be doing Kambah tomorrow & I've made up a rough list, but I'll just confirm it on the shelters & grab pictures (what I can)
Also would you call the shelters that have mesh/plastic sides & are a metal frame?

Buzz Killington

yes, please state your intention to cover a certain area in this thread.

Barry Drive

Can I suggest that for the Adshel shelters that the Adshel serial number be collected and also make a note of shelters without the ad panel.

Snorzac

Where can yiu find the adshel serial number Martin?

Sir Pompously

AdShel's numbers are inside the shelter on a sticker, the sticker has a hand written number along with details to contact AdShel.

Buzz Killington

Just a reminder to people to include shelters on the major roads around suburbs (this has been done by people so far, but just wanted to make a note of it)

For example - the stops near Mawson on Athllon

Sir Pompously

For those who are unsure of Suburb boundries, I would like to direct you to the ACT Governments Mapi. You can configure it in whatever way you like, including boundries. Most subrub boundries are quite clear, however main roads are normally where the boundries are and it splits the road into two suburbs.

Mapi: http://www.actmapi.act.gov.au/

smitho

Therer is a type of shelter which is pretty rare on the ACTION network but which is more common around the Adelaide Metro bus system (for example, north of Reynella on  Main South Rd, O'Halloran Hill). The example I'm thinking of is the pretty cheap and crude looking fawn structure which you see on Narrabundah Lane southbound, not far from the old Drive In / Village site.

As with the examples seen around SA, the Narrabundah Lane shelter looks as if its roof is starting to sag in. They're so ugly and flimsy looking - almost appear as if they're made from paper mache (but more likely, recycled industrial waste)....I can't recall any other examples of this shelter type on ACTION.

Barry Drive

There was one in Gungahlin Town Centre before the current metal and glass one was built (across the road from the Raiders Club), possibly it was moved to Narrabundah Lane. I always thought that they were a moulded plastic.

Buzz Killington

there's a pretty ugly plasticy looking one on Ross Smith Cres in Scullin IIRC

smitho

Can I suggest that there be a list of standard terms to describe each category of shelter?

The terms "Adshel" and "Bunker" and "Metal Shed" (as per the Lefts and Rights) are easy, but then there are other types with less obvious descriptions, for example the fairly rare type on the last stop along Carruthers St, Curtin, Northbound.... with the trendy red colorbond curved roof and steel frame and also the ugly plastic type seen on Narrabundah Lane Southbound.

I'll do Curtin, Lyons and Deakin.