Woden Depot: Reopen!

Started by smitho, July 29, 2009, 06:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

Although the metal lettered "Woden Transport Depot" sign was removed from the main building some months ago, there is still an old faded metal sign facing west with Department of the Capital Territory prominent on it.

Bus 400

It would appear as there was a reason behind this. Capital Self Storage were given their 30 day eviction notice at the beginning of this month. They have told everyone to clear out as they want the site all clean & pretty for when ACTION take it back.

This includes the driver that I have previously mentioned that have kept their bus at this site. They have been told to move out, but have been told by ACTION that they can keep their bus at Woden Depot once ACTION take it back.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Not really thinking things through.....
It would appear as there was a reason behind this.
So, because Capital Self Storage is moving out, that is the reason they removed the Woden Transport Depot signage that has been there since ACTION days (In its rather dated 1970's font)? Alrighty then, whatever makes you happy.

Me thinks I need to go and get photos of the Department of the Capital Territory sign before it goes from every "Pumpass" (I believe they call it now) angle.

smitho

There is fairly new signage on the outside western wall of the WTD proclaiming 'Phillip Business Park" or something similar....with all the (now mostly removed) tennants listed on it.

It is one of those cheap looking metal signs which you see all around the place these days; I think it appeared around the time that the classic Woden Transport Depot sign was removed - about 12 months ago from memory. The latter sign was typical of the font and durable style used by NCDC/Department of Construction on a wide variety of public buildings such as schools, health centres, libraries etc in pre-self government days.

There is a well preserved example on Evatt Primary School....so much more classy than the cheap, tacky signage you now see around most state schools and other public buildings.

Buzz Killington

Confirmation today that ACTION will move back into Woden depot in November.

Sir Pompously

Alleluia! Praise the lord all-mighty that the depot has been reborn! Praise him! *Brings out Gospel Choir*

Will be good to see Woden reopen again. However, it is still unknown in what capacity it will be a depot, full or just a satellite. 

Buzz Killington

As I went past today i noted the sheds all had their heights noted as 3.2m (or possibly 3.3, i don't recall), which would be a bit too low for many of the newer vehicles to fit underneath them.

Bus 400

I suspect work may be done to Woden depot sheds, as I don't think that reversing into the side sheds will be allowed because of risk on injury. Probably the Renaults will be stored there. As it looks like Belconnen & Tuggeranong will do most of the work & Woden is like a peak working depot, well that's how I envisage it.

smitho

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 29, 2009, 09:09:42 PM
I suspect work may be done to Woden depot sheds, as I don't think that reversing into the side sheds will be allowed because of risk on injury. Probably the Renaults will be stored there. As it looks like Belconnen & Tuggeranong will do most of the work & Woden is like a peak working depot, well that's how I envisage it.
I understand that the Woden Depot busports closest to Athllon Drive (which were originally from the 'new' Ainslie Depot) will not be used for bus storage, at least in the early stages of the recommissioning.

Bus 400

Now that I think about it, damage could be done to the bus by people on the other side of the fence if a bus is parked up against the fence. Tuggeranong & Belconnen have a gap between bus sheds & the fence so they are safe.

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on September 28, 2009, 08:46:40 PM
Alleluia! Praise the lord all-mighty that the depot has been reborn! Praise him! *Brings out Gospel Choir*

Will be good to see Woden reopen again. However, it is still unknown in what capacity it will be a depot, full or just a satellite.
My impression from public comments made by the ACT planning authority is that it will be a satellite depot - with its primary role being to store buses which cannot be accommodated at the other depots and as a place where buses can be parked during longer term layovers.

This would release the large block of land south of the Hellenic Club (currently used for longer term layovers) for property developments. Survey contractors were measuring up this block a few weeks ago.

Bus 400

I would guess workshop work would still only be done at Tuggeranong & Belconnen. But Woden might have a quick fix & refuel/cleaning area? With a possibility of the Canteen being moved to Woden Depot, so that when Woden Town Centre gets under way, the meal facilities will be at Woden Depot (which if I am dreaming will be near the Townsend Street Bus Station)

Snorzac

In response to recent post on the forum about Woden actually being a operational depot I feel that it needs to be made clear that Woden will be no more than a storage facility for buses that ACTION decide to sell or cannibalize for parts. Anyone who still thinks that Woden depot will be operational is dreaming.

Irisbus Rider

Ha ha, you've finally seen the light, I'm pleased to see :P

Snorzac

I've been saying that the last few months I just haven't posted it because I was told not to so we could get at the nerves of a former member. I thought that now was the right tome to post that.

CNG

I have not noticed or heard that buses are operating at woden depot yet, so yeah right woden depot reopening in november. What is the point of a bus depot when it has no buses to house. That is what a depot is

smitho

Quote from: rolfe on December 08, 2009, 07:36:41 PM
I have not noticed or heard that buses are operating at woden depot yet, so yeah right woden depot reopening in november. What is the point of a bus depot when it has no buses to house. That is what a depot is

The last I heard (from an ACTION STN employee a few weeks back) is that the combined STN fleet and STN staff will commence operations out of Woden Depot from the start of the new 2010 school year. STN staff will sign on / sign off there.

One of the private business tenants recently told me that ACTION will take back the upper floors of the Admin Building while the remaining tenants of the former Business Park (and some possible new tenants) will continue to occupy the ground floor once ACTION resumes operations there. Refuelling would not be done at Woden because of contamination issues in the old tanks.

Busnerd

I wonder if ACTION is planning on moving their offices/call centre again?

CNG

I was woundering, what buses are possibly going to be bassed over at woden. Could the steertags and the man evo IV's (REDEX BUSES) be a possibilty?

Irisbus Rider

This has been previously covered;
Quote from: King Long on December 02, 2009, 09:04:15 PM
In response to recent post on the forum about Woden actually being a operational depot I feel that it needs to be made clear that Woden will be no more than a storage facility for buses that ACTION decide to sell or cannibalize for parts. Anyone who still thinks that Woden depot will be operational is dreaming.

The 14.5m buses and the MAN Euro Vs will be based at Belconnen and Tuggeranong, respectively.

Buzz Killington

smitho

I understood the steer tags were going to Tuggeranong but I have no idea how the diesel MANs will be distributed across the two depots.

Belco certainly has strong claims for more low floor, air cond buses, but Tuggeranong Depot could certainly do with more too as there is a higher proportion of aged and infirmed passengers in Tuggeranong Depot's surrounds, particularly in Weston Ck/Woden Valley and 'old South Canberra'.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on January 18, 2010, 08:51:29 PM
I understood the steer tags were going to Tuggeranong

I thought as much, given that most of the artics are based there.

smitho

Understand that ACTION is still aiming for next week for combined Belco/Tuggy SNT to start up there providing internal refurbishments are completed by then.

smitho

February start-up now unlikely - preparation for SNT move could take a few month more.

euronymous

Typical government misorganisation.

Buzz Killington

Looks like some landscaping has been done at the rear of the depot - all the trees have been cut back.

Sir Pompously

Looks nice and tidy now, glad the Government are putting some work into making the depot look half decent again.

smitho

Lookout for some 'Action' @ Woden Depot from Monday....

lukeo25

Maybe tugger's depot is overflowing with the new man's and they need somewhere to store them

Snorzac

As said in the MAN thread SNT from both depots will be moving there.

CNG

are drivers going to be bassed at Woden?

belcodriver

Quote from: CNG on April 10, 2010, 07:36:11 AM
are drivers going to be bassed at Woden?

Given that buses can't drive themselves and ACTION doesn't pay drivers to sit around all day I'd imagine so.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on January 27, 2010, 09:11:23 PM
Understand that ACTION is still aiming for next week for combined Belco/Tuggy SNT to start up there providing internal refurbishments are completed by then.
As far as I know, it is still both Belco and Tuggy SNT's which will relocate to Woden Depot next week.

Bus 400

I suppose more shifts could be moved to Woden in the next shift pick & once the list of buses being decommissioned is approved (with as I last remember is to be finalized in around June this year) as those buses will run out of Woden Depot until they are sold. That should then give Tuggeranong & Belconnen room to store there MAN's under cover.

Snorzac

There will be a shed rearrangement out at Belconnen to fit the MANs in once SNT leave. I will remind you buses moved to Woden, other than SNT,  will not operate any services, they will simply be stored until sold

ajw373

Quote from: belcodriver on April 10, 2010, 07:47:16 AM
Given that buses can't drive themselves and ACTION doesn't pay drivers to sit around all day I'd imagine so.

The key word that was used was BASED. Ever heard of a satellite depot where buses get parked but where the drivers are based at the main depot?

Snorzac

well they certainly aren't bassed at a depot.....

belcodriver

Quote from: ajw373 on April 11, 2010, 12:11:21 AM
The key word that was used was BASED. Ever heard of a satellite depot where buses get parked but where the drivers are based at the main depot?

No. What's the point of that? How do drivers get from the main depot after signing on to their bus?

ajw373

Quote from: belcodriver on April 11, 2010, 08:15:23 AM
No. What's the point of that? How do drivers get from the main depot after signing on to their bus?

The point is the satellite depot is used just for parking the bus and sometimes some basic depot admin functions, such as cashing in etc (though this may vary). This reduces the cost of running the satellite depot.

As to how drivers get to said depot, I would say in exactly the same way as they would get to the main depot. Ie drive or catch a bus.

smitho

Anyone see any SNT activity at Woden Depot today?  I saw only one vehicle (which I took to be an SNT bus) there at around 1345 today...

Buzz Killington

I had a quick look as I went past at about 5.30, didn't see anything more than what was there last week.

Snorzac

Nothing had changed with the Belco SNT fleet at 11 this morning

smitho

There were a good number of SNT buses parked @ Woden Depot when I passed it earlier this afternoon.

smitho

Quote from: Scania K320UB on April 10, 2010, 10:12:31 PM
There will be a shed rearrangement out at Belconnen to fit the MANs in once SNT leave. I will remind you buses moved to Woden, other than SNT,  will not operate any services, they will simply be stored until sold

It seems likely that there will be some older standard buses withdrawn from service and stored for parts - and possibly in the future, for sale.... so from what I understand is going on, Woden will provide that storage site.

But that won't preclude operations at Woden gradually being ramped up as Molonglo develops so that eventually, it may return to its former role for full scale commuter bus operations. This would need some major investment in facilities such as fuel tanks, so it is only a longer term possibility.

Snorzac

One SNT bus remained at Belconnen just before 5pm

Barry Drive

There are currently 17 SNT buses parked at Woden depot.

Bus 400

There are no longer any SNT buses visible at Tuggeranong Depot.

I did notice that the SNT buses have been moved from under the shed to out in the open.

Buzz Killington

As I reported on Twitter earlier, there were three diesel MANs parked under the sheds at Woden Depot next to the SNT buses when I went past at around 1730. Couldn't see fleet numbers but the one at the back had a numberplate.

If anyone, in their travels, is able to go have a closer look and see if they can spot the fleet numbers of those three, that'd be great.