Painted Bus Lanes

Started by Buzz Killington, May 14, 2009, 05:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Driving through the intersection of Barry Dr/Belconnen Dr/Fairfax St yesterday afternoon, they had the two left-hand side lanes on the City Bound side closed off, and looked to be spraying the left hand lane red.

Are we now getting all our bus lanes painted red to match the other states?

Irisbus Rider

Would be a good idea for standardisation across the nation, plus they look quite nifty too!

smitho

Quote from: Mr Snrub on May 14, 2009, 05:45:30 PM
Driving through the intersection of Barry Dr/Belconnen Dr/Fairfax St yesterday afternoon, they had the two left-hand side lanes on the City Bound side closed off, and looked to be spraying the left hand lane red.

Are we now getting all our bus lanes painted red to match the other states?

I haven't heard anything about red painted lanes, but the repainted Bus Lane lines on the northbound Belconnen Way carriageway near the GDE overpass were recently re-done in yellow rather than the standard white. BTW, the Fairfax St bus lane will be fitted up with a 'B' sequence Bus Priority traffic light - good move.

Busnerd

Personally, I think both are great ideas.

Perhaps the bus lanes at traffic lights should be all made red.
Adelaide avenue bus lanes should stay colourless.
Commonwealth avenue bus lane should be red from albert hall bus stop up to where the cars merge heading into the city.

All bus lanes should have yellow lines including adelaide avenue, from memory the commonwealth ave bus lane has double yellow lines, perhaps all lanes should have this as it makes it obvious to other motorists not to cross it.

Buzz Killington

Well Adelaide Avenue's bus lanes are also T2 lanes, so they probably wouldn't go red or double yellow lined

belcodriver

Quote from: Mr Snrub on May 15, 2009, 05:18:02 PM
Well Adelaide Avenue's bus lanes are also T2 lanes, so they probably wouldn't go red or double yellow lined

Was meant to be only a temporary measure until the GDE was finished. But we still regularly get morons driving at 70kph in them and ignoring the honking of horns and flashing of highbeams from buses about 50cm behind them.

Bus 400

What is better then double lines on bus ways would be cement dividers. That way other vechiles can't sneak into the lanes. This would be quite useful on City bound Belconnen Way, with the intersection of Clunes Ross Street. That way buses wouldn't have to stop at the lights, but that will never happen as people need a spot to cross the road. But Adelaide Avenue/Yarra Glen T2 needs to have cement blocks between the T2 & normal lanes. That way people can't use it to overtake people or cut across from one side to the other to shoot up Cotter Road exit ( there are skids marks in the T2 lane from when this has happened). But it would be 120% better when ONLY buses are allowed to use the bus way.

Irisbus Rider

VEHICLES!!![/u] You even spelt it wrong on the thread "ACT Heavy Vehicle Test" Thread on ATDB! Gees.....

Yes, cement dividers would be an excellent idea, I think Northbourne Av could use a few, with a bus lane on the far left lane, then a concrete divider, then to the right of the divider, a bike lane, then the 2 traffic lanes.
I brought it up with a driver, and he confidently proclaimed, "Just put the bus lanes in the median strip!". Good point lol..........

Bus 400

Quote from: Breakdown Van Rider on May 16, 2009, 12:14:22 PM
I brought it up with a driver, and he confidently proclaimed, "Just put the bus lanes in the median strip!". Good point lol..........

Remember that the then Urban Services Minister Simon Corbell did suggest that for light rail. Then a few days later the new Urban Services Minister John Hargreaves said some ACT Government garbage about it won't be done. Now with the Greens with a bit of power in ACT Legislative Assembly, it won't happen for a while.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on May 15, 2009, 11:26:26 AM
I haven't heard anything about red painted lanes, but the repainted Bus Lane lines on the northbound Belconnen Way carriageway near the GDE overpass were recently re-done in yellow rather than the standard white. BTW, the Fairfax St bus lane will be fitted up with a 'B' sequence Bus Priority traffic light - good move.
I noticed last night that the southbound Belconnen Way bus lane near the GDE overpass had been painted red and that work underway yesterday afternoon seemed to be preparing the southbound "ANU bus lane" (on Belconnen Way) for similar treatment.

Barry Drive

The work on Barry Drive (southbound) near Clunies Ross St is stormwater drain improvements. Not sure if that is going to be painted red yet - or at least not until the drainage work is completed.

Where they need to paint a red lane is the right-hand turn lane from London Circuit into East Row.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on May 17, 2009, 06:58:08 PM
I noticed last night that the southbound Belconnen Way bus lane near the GDE overpass had been painted red and that work underway yesterday afternoon seemed to be preparing the southbound "ANU bus lane" (on Belconnen Way) for similar treatment.
I was wrong in saying the southbound Belconnen Way bus lane near the GDE overpass had been painted red .... in fact, it is the the Fairfax/Macathrur Ave/ Belconnen Way southbound lane...

Bus 400

The City Bound Belconnen Bus Lane at Fairfax Street has now officially become a bus lane. With the words painted on the road & signs put up today. Hopefully the lights will be changed to include a 'B' light.