General Discussion 2016

Started by Bus 503, January 08, 2016, 06:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan Loves Buses

I must say, it's about time... 4 bloody years of not having 64 times on the timetable on bus stop no. 2651...

According to the Forest Miniatures (London Transport Heritage Centre) Facebook page, they have taken delivery of ex BUS 730 for preservation.

https://www.facebook.com/Forest-Miniatures-261134207339113/?fref=ts

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Hey, I'm just doing a concept drawing atm, and it's nearly done. Now as I'm unable to find an appropriate photo on the gallery for what I'm after, I just need to ask, is the roof of the dinosaur (fossil fuels) AOA buses blue too, or is it the standard white?

Busfanatic101

Snorzac

The gallery is your friend...best try to find your own information through means available to you rather than just asking. People (including myself) get incredibly frustrated when other just ask questions rather than using a bit of initiative themselves.

ps-the standard roof colour isn't actually white, its a very light shade of green called arctic green.

Sylvan Loves Buses

well I did look at the gallery first, but i couldn't find what i was after even with all the shots i could see of the 3 different buses, which is why i asked (just in case i don't get to see one for a while - and esp as you cant walk on the top part of Woden anymore, cause I would've alternately done that instead).

I did however see one today, but didn't get a good glimpse, but from what i could see, it is white on top, although the blue does cover just the edges (cause it covers the side desto part of the roof too - which is what was confusing me).

Quote from: #Domelight Drew on September 12, 2016, 04:40:44 PM
ps- the standard roof colour isn't actually white, its a very light shade of green called arctic green.

interesting to know, although I don't think Frixion supply light arctic green in their erasable pen range :D :P

Bus 400

While the ACTPLA page is mucking up, an application has been released for a Park & Ride in Wanniassa/Kambah. Cars would park off Rylah Crescent & major Stoddart shelters would be installed on AthllonDr, with a new set of traffic lights to be installed to allow people to cross.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 13, 2016, 11:32:57 AM
The Constitution Av roadworks are nearing completion (believe it or not)

Bus route changes will be announced soon.

https://twitter.com/ACTIONbuses/status/763940096156381184
Constitution Av between Coranderrk and Anzac Pde will reopen to buses in both directions on Monday. All stops along Constitution will be Red Rapid stops.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on April 03, 2016, 03:28:58 PM
Now that's a slightly more intelligent question. Only slightly.

Well here's a (I'll admit this time) really stupid question: What does the B in the circle on all the ACTION/TC pamphlets/timetables/noticeboards indicate/mean?

Bus 400

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 20, 2016, 08:09:53 PM
Well here's a (I'll admit this time) really stupid question: What does the B in the circle on all the ACTION/TC pamphlets/timetables/noticeboards indicate/mean?
B is for bus
A is for active travel
L is for light rail

Busnerd

Just a lame copy from Transport for NSW who use B T F L, replacing the pictograms of old. Stupidly Transport Canberra has copied them but made them look different instead of working with TfNSW to make the logos of the modes the same across both states/territories.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Right, as embarrassingly obvious as I imagined.

yeah, I imagined it had some sort of relation to something NSW/VIC transport had done in the past - just like with the My Way cards. - I had to ask though, cause it felt real dumb seeing it everywhere and not knowing.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Now yes, I actually looked at the wiki page for once, I'm just doing some stuff with my bus book at the moment, getting my results pages and next years set-up done early so I don't have to do it at the start of next year (like I did this year cause I couldn't be bothered writing a couple thousand numbers again), but anywho, I've got almost what I was after, just a few question arose from the search, a few of which may not be possible to answer yet.

1. With the remaining few P2s, is it at all possible that buses 891, 894, 898 and 900-920whatever, will still be in service in 2017, or will the 800s all be decommissioned by the end of this year?
2. Same as above, but with the remaining P3s and Darts, no's. 998 and 999? 145, 147, 148, 150 and 151
3. I noticed the new electric buses have been mentioned in the wiki now, and with their numbers, after 20 years, almost back to the 700s again :o, although it says they're expected in Dec this year, will there be any chance of me riding them at all this year (in December), or will they be kept and then put into service in January?
4. Lastly, probably a pretty stupid question, but it's just so I can categorise them in my book in the 'others' section, what bus model are the new electric buses? (ie. Mercedes, Mack, Renault, Scania, Man, etc)

Buzz Killington

1-3: we don't know for sure - good chance the remaining 800s will be gone.
4: Avass

Sylvan Loves Buses

Alright, well keep me posted, I'll hold off writing the numbers into my book for the meantime.

Hmm, well no wonder I hadn't heard of the company before; just looked up their site, very interesting, very new, and nice looking buses too.
Thanks again.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on September 25, 2016, 02:12:19 PM
I hadn't heard of the company before

It was only mentioned in the topic on the new Electric Buses, and listed in the Wiki.  >:( But I'm sure you'll have forgotten in two weeks' time and ask again.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on September 25, 2016, 02:29:28 PM
I'm sure you'll have forgotten in two weeks' time and ask again.

Yeah probably. :-\

I did notice that name mentioned in that post, I didn't realise it was the brand of bus, and more the specification like the CB60KU or whatever they're called - (yes, I don't know much about specifications when it comes to buses).

"I hadn't heard of the company before"
What I meant by that was anywhere other than on this forum

Sylvan Loves Buses

So like I said...

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 02, 2016, 05:58:09 PMAs it was a bit more relaxing than any other bus hopping outing, I got some really constructive work done on my bus book during the day.

mainly completing all of next years stuff really early so I don't have to do it later, which I'm really pleased about, but I did hit a few bumps along the way.

I'll wait for a while on confirmation of the remaining 890s, and check in again to the wiki in a month or so before the new year, but the other thing that I wanted to ask was about the new shipment of E6s, the trials, and that rumoured artic.
I was discussing this with KoB last week, with those next 20 E6s that are coming in, will they be as straight forward as 616 to 635, or will the additional artic be within that somewhere?
And although the wiki says 650, 651, 652 for the AVASS, is it possible that will change? - I haven't written them in yet just in case.

I can wait for an answer if these cannot be confirmed as of yet.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 02, 2016, 06:07:03 PM

I can wait for an answer if these cannot be confirmed as of yet.
That would be best. Since the answer is the same as the last time.

Bus 400

While it was so long ago I can't remember where it is in the forum.

As of Monday 31 October, services are back to normal at Canberra Hospital. The NSW Trainlink website show the closure started back in 11 March 2015.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Was just reading some of the posts on the ex-ACTION bus, and noticed something about 'Access Recycling'. Anyway, I looked them up, and they have a location north of the Fyshwick Terminus - is this where I could find any ACTION stuff that has been thrown out, such as flip-dot displays, seat covers, bus framework, etc?

Buzz Killington

Once ACTION has removed anything from a retired bus that is of use to them, Access Recycling is generally where the remains end up to be, as the name suggests, recycled.

Sylvan Loves Buses

This hasn't been worth mentioning, at least not till now, but I have been doing Cert III - Diploma studies in music at CIT the past couple of years, and with this, helping me hear and understand music more and more...
Anyway, I was just on my home just now on 325 humming along to its engine as I always do, but for the first time ever (due to the music training I've had) it was almost as if I could feel a tempo, a time signature and a melody within 325's engine as it was going along.
I've always had a sense that 'bus music' was possible, but it wasn't until juts now that I realized it is right there if you listen closely enough.

I was even tapping along as I was humming along too. 4|4 time signature, with a few 3|4 and 2|4 bars here and there between gear shifts, at around 100bpm.
The Symphony of Bus 325 lol. ;D

The Love Guru

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bus 503

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 27, 2016, 10:30:49 PM
This hasn't been worth mentioning, at least not till now, but I have been doing Cert III - Diploma studies in music at CIT the past couple of years, and with this, helping me hear and understand music more and more...
Anyway, I was just on my home just now on 325 humming along to its engine as I always do, but for the first time ever (due to the music training I've had) it was almost as if I could feel a tempo, a time signature and a melody within 325's engine as it was going along.
I've always had a sense that 'bus music' was possible, but it wasn't until juts now that I realized it is right there if you listen closely enough.

I was even tapping along as I was humming along too. 4|4 time signature, with a few 3|4 and 2|4 bars here and there between gear shifts, at around 100bpm.
The Symphony of Bus 325 lol. ;D

I'm not sure what to say to that. I am totally lost for words - there are a few "what the ****" going on in my brain at the moment.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 08, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
As for reporting @canberradavid to Twitter, they won't do anything. His opinions are moronic but they're not breaking any rules.

Looks like "Dave" has shut up now and changed his tweets to being private. The election told him what he's worth.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was told the other day by a Belco transport officer, that Custom Coaches have gone bung or something. So we will still get up to 635 and that other artic before the new designs, or is that it for CC designs?

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 03, 2016, 11:34:10 PM
I was told the other day by a Belco transport officer, that Custom Coaches have gone bung or something. So we will still get up to 635 and that other artic before the new designs, or is that it for CC designs?

Custom Coaches went under a few years back now and were purchased by one of its previous owners and the company renamed Custom Bus. Thats when buses started to come with just the word Custom on the logo rather than Custom Coaches.

I don't believe there has been any other fiscal issues since.

Also current deliveries are stop at 621 which is the extra artic. Except for the 3 electric buses I don't recall there being any announcement of either a tender or an extension of an existing contract. So where are you getting 635 from?

Sylvan Loves Buses

well 633, this - http://prntscr.com/chrr2o
and oh, I thought a new post was made, but I guess it was deleted. never mind.

triumph

Well, the column 'Expected Deliveries' lists Scania K320UB/Bustech VST, nos. 622 to 641. Perhaps this is the source of information.

ajw373

Quote from: triumph on November 04, 2016, 01:54:22 PM
Well, the column 'Expected Deliveries' lists Scania K320UB/Bustech VST, nos. 622 to 641. Perhaps this is the source of information.

Not quite sure where you are seeing that, but if that is what it says then don't doubt it. 620 is very much the last in the order for CB80 Scania rigids and 621 the extra artic, so clearly at some point the next contract has been annouced.

But the point remains, they are not going elsewhere because Customs has gone under, that was ancient history, they have obviously gone to new supplier.

Bus 400

If you search the right location, (Google & ACT Bus Fleetwiki aren't it) you will find your answer.
(At time of typing) No new tender has been announced. But the current contract is with Scania. As long as the bus engine & body pass the tests. Scania can get a Contract Variation & have a new body builder. But til we have Bus 622 & 641 in service. We won't know 100%.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

triumph

I found the information in the ACTBus Fleetwiki under the general heading Action Buses - Fleet Information and read down to Expected Deliveries and click this to see details.

Apologies if this has been reported elsewhere - 390 has lost all remaining stickers from its launch.

Sylvan Loves Buses

All of them? I thought I just saw the big red MAN missing?

My apologies - I've been informed that some of the roofline stickers are still there. I wasn't very astute in my observations!

In other news, a new Route 907 PDF has appeared online: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/911553/route_907.pdf

No changes to times, but timing points have been increased to be better standardised with Route 14. The HTML timetable does not appear to have been done - that also shows times for Emu Bank and Aikman Dr, which the PDF does not.

Sylvan Loves Buses

well I saw 390 today, and it seems only the blue lettering above the doors and such remain. (picture below)

I saw an artic today, but not one of ours, it was what looked like an old fashion Perth artic, cause it had a tank on top of both carriages, although it was a black livery with other writing on it. Anyone else see this?

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 18, 2016, 11:17:10 PM
I saw an artic today, but not one of ours, it was what looked like an old fashion Perth artic, cause it had a tank on top of both carriages, although it was a black livery with other writing on it. Anyone else see this?

The moonlight bus, pretty much one of those party buses I think. I saw it on Barry Dr today at around 6:45pm. The last I recall seeing it before today was a long time ago, perhaps skyfire last year...

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 18, 2016, 11:17:10 PM
This vehicle would be ex-Adelaide, it is a PMC bodied Volvo B10M. The pod on the roof is a evaporative cooler. I believe these were known in Adelaide as brown bombers, due to their brown and cream livery.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Sir Pompously on November 18, 2016, 11:50:29 PM
This vehicle would be ex-Adelaide, it is a PMC bodied Volvo B10M. The pod on the roof is a evaporative cooler. I believe these were known in Adelaide as brown bombers, due to their brown and cream livery.
It's an ex-Adelaide Mercedes-Benz O 305G. One would assume it's ex O-bahn with a 100kph diff in it. It looks alright. Sound is great!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Cool, well I hope to see it again.
I'll have a little look for it online too, see what I can find of it on google and such.

Quote from: Busfanatic101 on November 18, 2016, 11:31:58 PMThe moonlight bus, pretty much one of those party buses I think. I saw it on Barry Dr today at around 6:45pm

You must've been on a bus close to where I was then, cause I saw it heading up College Street around that time too.
Another party bus eh, what number was the pink one again? I know it was an old Mk1 P2, cause I stood next to it once when it was outside The Canberra Theater, just don't remember which one it was.

ajw373

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 20, 2016, 04:18:43 AM
Cool, well I hope to see it again.
I'll have a little look for it online too, see what I can find of it on google and such.

Did you get a sniff of it? Cause there would be a bus with a unique smell in Canberra. One of the downsides of Evap cooling is they introduce moisture which then makes the seats go damp and they end up musty smelling.

Buzz Killington

Pink Party Bus is ex 803. It still has the ACTION fleet numbers on it.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Very funny... no, I was inhaling the fumes of a P3 when sitting up the back all the way from Belconnen to Lanyon

Quote from: Buzz Killington803

Thanks.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: The Love Guru on November 19, 2016, 08:42:45 AM
It's an ex-Adelaide Mercedes-Benz O 305G. One would assume it's ex O-bahn with a 100kph diff in it. It looks alright. Sound is great!

Ah, I thought it was the B10M. Must be the one in Sydney that is the Volvo.

Busfanatic101

532 and 523 were out with Learner driver duties today.

In the Tuggeranong edition of this month's Our Canberra newsletter, it mentions a trial non-stop Xpresso between Tuggeranong and Gungahlin with 3 services in the morning and 3 in the arvo coming shortly

Sylvan Loves Buses

hmm, it's about time they did something like that.
I suppose this would be something to do with the 2016-202 project thingy

By the way, I noticed on the fleet wiki the new AVASS buses have arrived, are they on service yet though?

Barry Drive

If they were "on service" don't you think the Fleetwiki would show that also? (Although clearly I missed that part where it says they've been delivered, but maybe that's because I'm not a new breed of bus spotter who sees things that others don't.)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Never mind, I went to Tuggeranong Depot today while I was out, had a good look around, but didn't see them. (original thought) So either they are at Belconnen, or already on the roads.

That's what I was thinking at least till I asked someone in the ACTION office. "they don't arrive till late next week, which depot is unconfirmed"
Which means this info is somewhat not yet accurate

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on December 09, 2016, 02:44:38 AM
Which means this info is somewhat not yet accurate
So are you suggesting maybe a footnote explaining that those buses are due for delivery, but not yet delivered?

Barry Drive

And there ends General Discussion 2016.

"General" discussions are now topic-specific. Please use one of the following: