Minor Maintenance/Repairs Thread

Started by Buzz Killington, May 14, 2009, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

390 still flies on straights, it just did that thing when turning right from Coulter Drive to Ginninderra Drive. But back at LSBS the driver got a call to take 390 to workshop & he told them he already planned to do that. But then again I've been told there were a few hiccups when the Scania's came into service & again when the gas MAN's came into service.

Does anyone know which Irisbus is in the air at Belconnen Depot? What I mean be this is that for the last week an Iris has been on the stilts things on the stickout bit of the shed on the Coulter Drive side. I haven't been able to/bothered to get any closer to check out the number, but it is a bit of a sight.

Apparently around 16 buses had broken down from Belconnen Depot today. The last one I know of was 106 in Gungahlin around 17:15.

Buzz Killington

I saw 130 crawling along the shoulder of Athllon on a packed northbound 11 with the hazards on this arvo, not sure if it broke down or not.

Snorzac

Belco workshops has once again overflowed onto the Coulter Drive side of the depot.

Bus 400-The Iris on the hoist is 306 which is apparently having a long overdue engine replacement.

Bus 400

Cool, can it get something other then an Iris engine, it might last longer then.

There was only 1 bus on Belco bricks at 12:00

Snorzac

wow, as I walked home from work there was a supervisor moving buses around taking some around to Coulter. I counted 9 Irises including 306

Bus 400

They must of known what the heat does to the buses.

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

yeah, there was no bus for 30 minutes and no-one was available to pick me up.

Buzz Killington

in that situation you are expected to hang around the westfield food court, in a gang if possible.

that's the belco way.

Bus 400

I was on a 11 to Tuggeranong, the previous 11 didn't run & we picked up these people at Calwell Primary stop & to them to near the intersection of Duggan Street/Downard St

Snorzac

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 02, 2009, 08:15:04 PM
in that situation you are expected to hang around the westfield food court, in a gang if possible.

that's the belco way.
yeah, if I hang around in the food court I would have to listen to my bosses ranting as he cleans the soft serve machine.

Bus 400

Quote from: Lemon on November 02, 2009, 07:54:42 PM
The Iris on the hoist is 306 which is apparently having a long overdue engine replacement.

304 has had a new engine recently. This was because a driver destroyed the engine-the previous day the bus had run dry of coolant & the driver ended the run in the City & workshop came & refilled it. The next day another driver took 304 out & it had run dry as of from Spence. So from Spence to the City 304 had no coolant.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on November 04, 2009, 06:02:39 PM
304 has had a new engine recently. This was because a driver destroyed the engine-the previous day the bus had run dry of coolant & the driver ended the run in the City & workshop came & refilled it. The next day another driver took 304 out & it had run dry as of from Spence. So from Spence to the City 304 had no coolant.

304 was sighted today as slow as ever. Couple of points to note, there is no way that the bus would have got from Spence terminus to Spence shops without coolant in it. If the radiator is even half full it will over heat in no time at all. The irisbus have an advanced (hmmmmm) engine management system, which automatically shuts off the accelerator when it over heats (real handy when you are halfway across an intersection let me tell you).

Other point to note is that if it had an engine change, it would have taken more than a day to do so. I'm 99% sure they don't have spare engines for the iris's just sitting around. I'd be fairly certain that 306 is the first iris to have its engine rebuilt which is taking some time as it would have to be rebuilt whilst the bus awaits its return (the .2s etc dont take as long as ACTION change the engines over and then rebuild it whilst its out of the bus, so pretty much none of the buses will have the same engine they had in them when delivered). It is much more effective to have a spare engine to change into a bus as it dramatically reduces down time.

Buzz Killington

128 broke down in Tuggers this arvo, and was attended to by the breakdown van. Not sure what the problem was but the mechanic had the driver rev it and the engine sounded like a squealing tyre. Whatever it was, the mechanic fixed it after about fifteen minutes.

Meanwhile, the Supervisor Van replaced it on the 64, although by the time the Van got there, 122 had pulled up to operate the next 64 and so there was the amusing sight of 122 commencing a 64 with the supervisor van running just ahead of it.

Oh and 311 was putting out a fair bit of smoke too

Snorzac

sounds like a fanbelt problem to me.

Bus 400

379 is in with a broken window
375 has the lower front left panel missing
I am not sure which bus it is, but one was hit by a car coming out of a side road & then drove off

809 broke down on Drakeford Drive ISABELLA PLAINS tonight. It looked like the front left side was lower then the rest of the bus, but it didn't look like a flattie. I later spotted the breakdown van flying up Yamba Drive FARRER.

Snorzac

396 broke down today, was driven to the depot after the conclusion of a 58 after the air-conditioner began heating. The following 319 was coved by the same driver from Tuggeranong.

Bus 400

For a change Tuggeranong workshop has a big backlog. Buses have been parked at right angles to the normal bricks.

Snorzac

Snorzac

The following buses will have reason to visit the workshops after today:
315- slow, body rattles, fucked gearbox, faulty a/c, the list goes on
321-Broken Side desto
392-Air conditioner Failure
396-Air conditioner Failure
397-Air conditioner Failure
398-Air conditioner Failure
992-Operating with no validator
999-Overheating followed by major airleak

Bus 400

A few of the Redex buses did have air con failures. But a few of the drivers leave them off for a few periods as they say it is too cold in the new MAN's. Bloody whinging Belconnen poms (I'm 50% pom so it is all right)

Snorzac

You're an idiot!!

The a/c was on but blowing out hot air on all occasions. The driver of 396 said that it was at 39.5 degrees on the bus when she got it back to the depot.

Irisbus Rider

I don't believe the problem remains with those MAN A/C units. I sympathise with any driver that has to put up with that!

Don't the MAN gassies have Thermo-Kings as well? They never encountered such problems.....

Snorzac

Busnerd

i've always found thermo kings to be the most unreliable and cheap units out there

Snorzac

321 was involved in a rear ender on Cohen st at about 3:20pm this afternoon. It was hit from behind as the bus turned into the depot. The driver and passenger in the car were okay however the bus driver was checked by paramedics after complaining of a sore back. The bus was driven  back to Tuggeranong at about 4pm by another driver only sustainig minor damage to the rear bumper. The car was still at the top  of platform 5 when I walked past about 30min ago waiting for the towy.

I know all this as I witnessed the accident and I am not assuming anything, if you were around at that time you may have seen my directing traffic.

Busnerd

Clearly they weren't observing the RTA's recommended safety cushion

Bus 400

Was the bus turning right or left into the depot? Just trying to get a bit of an idea.

Snorzac

Was giving away to oncoming traffic before making a right turn into the depot.

Snorzac

Saw 951 been unloaded from the tow truck at Belco depot just after 5pm this afternoon. I am assuming that it broke down whilt operating a route 319 as that is what it had on the desto.

Snorzac

306 is still having its engine rebuilt. 723 is also at Belco, it was on the hoist at some stage last week and is now behind the hoist thingo with blocks of wood stopping the bus from rolling. It really is a sad sight, could this be the end for 723?

Snorzac

A Few things to Report:
121 BUS 121 may be the first PR100.3 to be written off. While operating a service some weeks ago the two rear  left wheels fell off the bus, no joke. It took the tow truck three hours to get it back to the depot. When this happened the bus sustained major chassis damage as well as some minor panel damage. Since it has returned to the depot it has not moved at all.

396 Just another a/c failure, doe this surprise anyone?

975 I no way will the workshops pay any attention to this but the screen on the desto control has decided to do a few strange things. It will come up with '6 Woden {scroll} Destination=viaRED_PAGE' while on a 6 and then at random times it changes to japanese which is just plain weird, this is no joke.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Lemon on December 10, 2009, 09:38:24 PM
A Few things to Report:
121 BUS 121 may be the first PR100.3 to be written off. While operating a service some weeks ago the two rear  left wheels fell off the bus, no joke. It took the tow truck three hours to get it back to the depot. When this happened the bus sustained major chassis damage as well as some minor panel damage. Since it has returned to the depot it has not moved at all.
Renault Quality! :P

Nah, shame to hear that, It would be a shame to lose something unique like a .3.

Buzz Killington

Something wrong with 788 today. Arriving at Woden, the driver was revving it the whole time at the platform - a supervisor got on after a minute or two and spoke to the driver for a while, then asked if everyone could "get another bus". It then did a lap of the interchange and parked, presumably for the mechanics to come and have a look.

Snorzac

If it was revving a lot there might have been an air leak, revving the bus helps to build up air.

Snorzac

BUS 880 has been painted in to full corporate livery for the first time in its life.

BUS 121 will be fixed but its waiting for some parts

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Lemon on December 15, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
BUS 880 has been painted in to full corporate livery for the first time in its life.

Damn, there goes any hope of a return to the Botanic Gardens livery. I guess they didn't have another AOA to put on there after the University one, which didn't last all that long really..

You wouldn't happen to know the exact date the AOA was removed would you Lemon, for our records?

Snorzac

No, it has been off the road for about four weeks. I think it was in an accident.

Buzz Killington

Ah, thanks for that.

If anyone knows, let me know otherwise we'll just put it as "Late Nov/Early Dec 09"

Snorzac

304 lost all of its coolant at the ANU today. The coolant cap was picked up by 370 and was returned to belco depot by the driver of 990.

Snorzac

130 overheated this afternoon and the throttle cut out in the middle of the Belco Way/Haydon Drive Intersection
128 broke down on Athlon Drive
368 died at Cameron Avenue.
It was so hot that even 990 overheated

Buzz Killington

Hmm, good thing I took one look at 130, considered the fact that it was 38 degrees and decided on catching 353 instead.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 15, 2009, 06:33:16 PM
If anyone knows, let me know otherwise we'll just put it as "Late Nov/Early Dec 09"
I checked the Wayfarer history - 880 was not in service between 28 November and 14 December. So 15 December does appear to be the first day in service in (old) corporate livery.

Irisbus Rider

Hmmmm, could it have been involved in an accident, and got repaired; and as a consequence, had the AOA removed?

Buzz Killington

Sounds unlikely, but I guess we'll just wait and see where the next AOA ends up!

Snorzac

I just got back from a quick trip to the woolworths servo near the belco depot. 755 was just outside the depot on Coulter Drive with the Tow Truck in attendance. It had 757 there so it's been there a while.

Barry Drive

Tow truck was busy last night. There was also an oil (diesel?) spill at Tuggeranong Interchange. Sounds like the bus had to be towed back to the depot.

Buzz Killington

According to a post on ATDB, 760 had a car run up its backside the other day. Not too much damage by the looks of it.

euronymous

The leak seen at Tuggeranong would probably have been 940. It threw a leg out of bed last week.

There is an interesting story behind 121.

Buzz Killington