Aerial crane at the Hyperdome this Saturday

Started by belcodriver, September 06, 2012, 07:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belcodriver

If the notices about the partial closure of Tuggy interchange this Saturday are to be believed there will be a helicopter operating at the Hyperdome sometime on Saturday. It will presumably be used for the installation of new air conditioning equipment on the roof. I'll be busy unfortunately but I reckon it would be worth a look. I hope to see some photos posted here.

Bus 400

Also if my prediction is correct, the gates near Platform 5 could be opened for buses leaving Tuggeranong.

The same thing is also occurring next Saturday (15th) as well.

On a related topic, I have been told it is cheaper to hire a helicopter for a day then to hire a crane for a day.

Bidgee

Quote from: Bus 400 on September 06, 2012, 08:22:15 PM
On a related topic, I have been told it is cheaper to hire a helicopter for a day then to hire a crane for a day.
I doubt it! Most likely they would need to use a tower crane which would be costly, cause inconvenience and time consuming (for a job that would only take a few hours). Mobile crane is cheaper but very unlikely to be able to do the job. Helicopter on the other hand can do the job in a few hours (don't forget you're paying for it even if it is on the ground) with some inconvenience although it is expensive but cheaper and quicker then using a tower crane.

belcodriver

Also if my prediction is correct, the gates near Platform 5 could be opened for buses leaving Tuggeranong.

The same thing is also occurring next Saturday (15th) as well.

Maybe it was the 15th and not this Saturday. I'll check at work tomorrow.

Bus 400

Belcodriver-It is both Saturday's, notice can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/253776/Pitman_Street_Greenway_including_footpaths_and_naturestrip_.pdf

Bidgee-The cost could also depend on what is required. A few years ago when Westfield Woden upgraded the air conditioning systems, I am told they used a helicopter as it was cheaper. The same situation would occur at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome as there would be spots that a normal crane could reach. Now the contractors could go with a larger crane (UFO crane for the older members). But that creates more hassles with SHE/OHS working at heights rules (the exact details escape me at this present moment).

Bidgee

Quote from: belcodriver on September 06, 2012, 10:01:33 PM
Maybe it was the 15th and not this Saturday. I'll check at work tomorrow.

Already on the ACTION site. ;)

QuoteDisruptions to Tuggeranong Bus Station services this Saturday

Platforms 7 and 8 at Tuggeranong Bus station will be closed on Saturday 8 September 2012 due to building works. Services departing from Platforms 7 and 8 will depart from Platforms 3, 4 and 5.

The Anketell Street bus stop (located outside the Hyperdome) will also be closed on Saturday 8 September 2012. Nearest serviced stop is Tuggeranong Bus Station.
http://www.action.act.gov.au

Bus 400, well yes you could use a 250 tonne crane but would be a nightmare and would have limited areas where it can be used due to the weight and also the higher and further the telescoping boom needs to go, the less weight it can lift. Most of the air-con equipment on the roof of the Hyperdome are not in easy locations nor are they light. Trust me, I've priced a helicopter flight in the past and it costs a lot more per hour then it does hiring a mobile crane.

Barry Drive

Yes, gates will be opened. Platform arrangements are: 900 from 3; all platform 7 services will leave from 4; no change to current platform 3 4 or 5 routes.

Buzz Killington

After this many years they've probably rusted shut.

Bus 400

While I could hear the helicopter from my place in Kambah at around 9am. As I was in the bus heading down there at 10:45, I heard the call over the Two Way that everything was back to normal.
I am hoping that next weekends planned closure isn't a contingency closure (ie In case of bad weather today).