Author Topic: Alternative / Electric bus trial  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
  • May contain traces of sarcasm
Alternative / Electric bus trial
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Advertisement
New topic. For if or when someone has some news.

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
Re: Alternative / Electric bus trial
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
The contract for the Volvo B5RLEH Bustech hybrid diesel has been posted to the ACT Tenders website.

( https://tenders.act.gov.au/ets/contract/view.do?id=42605&returnUrl=%252Fcontract%252Flist.do%253F%2524%257Brequest.queryString%257D )

Contract expires at end of September 2018.

No information on when the bus will enter service.

Offline Busnerd

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
Wonder if Bustech will submit a tender since they now have electric vehicles in Adelaide.

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »
Tenders closed a while back.

They have not released who were the tenderers, nor made any announcement about which or how many buses will be used on the trial.

The contract with Volvo prevents them from making any publicity announcement without Transport Canberra's approval. So there could quite easily be a ZDi being built now for this trial without anyone knowing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:44:25 AM by Barry Drive »

Offline triumph

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:25:34 PM »
The detail released about the contract in Schedule 2, Item 1  states The Bus: Volvo B5RELH Euro 5 chassis Bustech VST USED with less than 25,000km of service.

Furthermore delivery date quoted in the schedule is 1st July 2017 at 5pm.
That is very specific and precedes the agreement date of 17thy July.

It seems that a specific existing bus is contemplated and is probably a company demonstrator already available. On that basis it might reasonably expected to be delivered and in service within a few weeks.

Offline Busfanatic101

• Your typical Canberra Bus Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »
The following is from the today's sighting thread:

There is a TFNSW liveried Bustech bodied standard sized bus with the NSW Waratah insignia parked near the workshop in Tuggeranong Bus Station, glimpsed when we drove past today. Does anyone know what it's doing there. I'm guessing it is a new arrival given it hasn't been mentioned here.
It was first sighted at Tuggeranong Depot last Friday.

Further discussion concerning it I'd suggest take place here (http://actbus.net/forum/index.php?topic=4236.0), as I'm fairly sure your sighting and this topic are concerning one the same thing.

The Friday mentioned is 30 June, so the arrival date, depot, bus body, and used all match up to this contract, supporting KoB's hunch).
I agree with triumph about the contract referring to a specific bus, though it seems it has been here for the past month and a half.
There is nothing in the contract to suggest the will be more than one bus, so unless they put out an additional tender it could be just be the one bus. I guess it is cheaper that way in the short term...

Offline Busnerd

• Administrator
    • ACT Bus
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:49:10 AM »
With NSW Waratah? They haven't used that for ages, they use "the hop" now. The Waratah hasn't been used for a few years now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:32:17 AM by Barry Drive »

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
  • Gallifrey Falls No More!
    • My Flickr Account

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
A little more background here, though much of it is now reflected in the fleetwiki. It seems there have only ever been at most 2 Volvo hybrids with a Bustech Body
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84838
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=79659

Offline King of Buses

• Contributor
  • Gallifrey Falls No More!
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

710 (BYD Toro/Gemilang) and 712 (Volvo B5RLEH/Bustech VSTH) were launched this morning to the media.

Offline Sylvan Loves Buses

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
Of course I missed it...

and I traveled through civic twice on Friday too.... ffs

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »
Is there any known reason for the fleet numbers 710-12 being used
eg. past trial buses, or perhaps there is likely to be a new order of 68 buses in the next year?

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
No reason known. I can think of many other numbers which would have been more appropriate.

My guess is so that they can continue adding new buses over the next 18 months without disruption. And then by the time 710 is needed, the trial buses will have left.

Offline Barry Drive

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
710 (56) first boarding (and sighting). It was pretty cool, sounds so different, though the brakes seemed less effective and jerky, you notice the clatter more because of the quieter engine (which does not make for a quieter trip overall) and the interior is a little more bland. The front > < shaped LED lights that I hadn't noticed from initial photos are cool

For those who haven't seen this. A review of the Carbridge (BYD) Toro: https://www.busnews.com.au/bus-reviews/1703/video-review-carbridgetoroebus

Explains that it requires a different technique to driving - especially braking.

Offline triumph

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
Interesting that the model is named TORO. This is the brand used for many years for a range of mowing and irrigation equipment. So, has the use of the name for the bus been licenced, or has this brand user been ignored, or is there an ultimate ownwership tie up, or .........?

Offline triumph

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Beginning to wonder if 712 is actually out and about.

No 'what bus did you ride today' reports after launch and I have not sighted it yet.
Contrast with 710, reported as ridden by several forum members, and I have sighted it twice and ridden once already.

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
Beginning to wonder if 712 is actually out and about.

No 'what bus did you ride today' reports after launch and I have not sighted it yet.
Contrast with 710, reported as ridden by several forum members, and I have sighted it twice and ridden once already.

I saw it once on Northbourne mid last week and twice yesterday at Woden bus station doing 316S in the morning and in the afternoon a outbound 26 (my old school bus driver from a year or 2 ago)

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »
For the first week or so they weren't being used until the afternoon that I noticed, but since last week 710 and 712 are around. From what I can tell from the past couple of days is that 710 appears to be on the one shift, as I've seen it do the 200N at 3pm from the city on two occasions now - both times I missed it :(

Offline Busfanatic101

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
For the first week or so they weren't being used until the afternoon that I noticed, but since last week 710 and 712 are around. From what I can tell from the past couple of days is that 710 appears to be on the one shift, as I've seen it do the 200N at 3pm from the city on two occasions now - both times I missed it :(

710 has been on the same shift all 3 times I was there to see it at the right time since last Thursday (56->259 seeing 4:30pm), and 712 as well for the last 2 days (26W around 4:30)
Are drivers undergoing specific training to drive these?

And as I was typing this 710 came past a little bit lost on the first 966 of the morning

• Do it! Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »
It's possible that like 490b they'll either be shared with a select number of drivers, that or it's being used like a flow shift bus, going from one driver to another each week - that's what I think, but to find out properly you'd probably have to ask one of the depot managers.