The Weather Thread

Started by Irisbus Rider, December 06, 2007, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisbus Rider

Just a heads up, there are quite a few storm cells around the region this afternoon, associated with a Severe Storm warning from BOM.

Looks like it might get a bit hairy this afternoon.

Buzz Killington

Yeah, we got a few loud bits of thunder and a ten minute downpour in Tuggeranong about twenty minutes ago.

Buzz Killington

Today was a bit all over the place. Very nice this morning, got rather hot by lunchtime, then some lightning, a very dark sky and some rain..

Sir Pompously

Well as we all know, lots of rain today! The Weather Station here in Monash has recorded 36.2mm of rain (up till 9am this morning) with today only having 14.6 currently!

Buzz Killington

There was quite the number of spectators at Scrivener Dam earlier too. The Molonglo was getting a bit flooded due to all the extra water coming from the dam.

Today we have had 29.2mm since 9am, and in the 24 hours to 9am this morning, we had 56.2mm  :pop:

Total rainfall for February so far is 88.6mm, compared to 7.8mm in January!

Good to have all this rain, and with the inflows into the dams we should see a nice increase in their levels over the next week or two.

Sir Pompously

Yeah I noticed in the times a photo of the dam with the gates open! Am not sure how long it has been since I last saw that!

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Sir Pompously on February 14, 2010, 06:04:38 PMAm not sure how long it has been since I last saw that!
It's been 8 years since the gates were last opened according to local news outlets.

It's good to see Ginninderra Ck with a healthy amount of water in it, it certainly is something I'm not used to seeing.

Snorzac

Nice light show tonight.....

Bus 400

From around 18:00 last night (7 March 2010) until 01:00 this morning in Kambah we picked up 75-80mm

Buzz Killington

53.6mm in Tuggeranong to 9am, compared to 22.4 in 'Canberra'

Bus 400

Looks like a bit of localized heavy rain today, with torrential rain hitting Red Hill, Narrabundah & Fyshwick this morning. I also know that out near the airport coped it, with my boss describing it as heavy rain. Now he was lucky as he would of normally rode his motorcycle out to the airport, but decided to take the work ute instead.

Other parts of Canberra coped it in the afternoon with a fast moving front moving north & heavy rain hitting Mitchel & parts of Dickson & Northbourne Avenue suffering minor flooding. Kambah was also hit with a gap in my leaf covered driveway of where the water rushed down & water even being high enough to go over the 6cm step to make it into my garage..

smitho

Notice how the clear, blue sunny skies of the past few days wasn't repeated today, even though the weather forecast suggested it would? As the day wore on, the sky got filled with more and more misty, light cloud. You might wonder why!

As I rise to do my shift well before dawn, I was able to observe the changing sky from daybreak. At dawn, things looked promising, just like yesterday and the day before. But by around 0900, there had been enough jet plane activity over Canberra for the sky to become criss-crossed with jet trails. Normally these blow away in no time and are not a problem.

But on days like today, they just sit there and get ever bigger and smudgy until adjoining trails start coming together, and before you know it, what was a clear blue sunny sky has become a murky, light grey misty sort of sky, lacking the clarity of days like yesterday. Often this effect from jet trails can be an advance sign of changing weather conditions. I notice the weather bureau is already talking of a change early in the new week. This site goes into more detail about smudgying jet trails etc...http://www.docweather.com/2/show/40/

Snorzac

The wind sock at the airport was dead still this morning. It certainly was a beautiful morning.

Bus 400

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this saying, but something I've been taught about the weather is:

"Red sky at night, sailors delight"
"Red sky at dawn, shepherds beware"

Irisbus Rider

It's going to get fairly hairy down on the South Coast tonight;
Quote from: BOMTop Priority for Immediate Broadcast
NSW SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
Destructive Winds, Flash Flooding, Damaging Surf
For people in
South Coast, Southern Tablelands, Illawarra
Issued at 11:00 pm on Saturday 29 May 2010

Synoptic Situation: 9:00 pm EST Saturday

HEAVY RAIN, DESTRUCTIVE WINDS AND DAMAGING SURF EXPECTED ALONG PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN NSW COAST AND ADJACENT RANGES ON SUNDAY

On Sunday a low pressure system is expected to develop off the southern half of the NSW coast and deepen rapidly. The system, with its associated heavy rain and damaging winds and seas, is forecast to affect the South Coast and eastern parts of the Southern Tablelands from early Sunday morning. The system is then expected to slowly track northwards, affecting the Illawarra coast later in the day.

The precise position and movement of the low will determine the location of the heaviest rainfall and highest wind and seas, and this warning will be updated regularly as the system develops.

Winds are expected to average over 65 km/h in the South Coast and eastern parts of the Southern Tablelands from early Sunday, and possibly be over 90 km/h along the coastal fringe. Gales may extend to the Illawarra district later in the day. Peak wind gusts may exceed 125 km/h, particularly near the coast.

Very heavy rain is expected to cause flash flooding from early Sunday in the South Coast and eastern parts of the Southern Tablelands districts. Heavy rain may extend to the Illawarra district later in the day as the low tracks north.

Damaging surf conditions, with waves exceeding 5 metres in the surf zone, may produce significant beach erosion on Sunday along the South Coast, extending to the Illawarra later in the day or on Monday. Water levels above the highest astronomical tide of the year are possible.
Emergency services advise you to keep clear of fallen power lines, stay indoors away from windows and keep children indoors.

Emergency services advise do not enter flood water. Stay well clear of creeks, storm drains and causeways.

Emergency services advise you check your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary, raise goods and electrical items.

Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay well away from surf-exposed areas.

For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES [NSW and ACT] on telephone number 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 5 am Sunday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
As well as this warning, the entire South Coast is on Flood Watch as well.

This is not a storm system to be taken lightly, for anyone down there, make sure the radio is switched onto 2EC, Power FM or the ABC, and heed all warnings and alerts given by the SES, or local authorities.

Hopefully it isn't too bad, but I for one will certainly be keeping an eye on it this weekend.

Buzz Killington

14.2mm in Canberra since 9am. Bit of a shame we didn't have some more solid rainfall.

Irisbus Rider

We should get plenty of rainfall by Tuesday.

An update on the situation down on the South Coast;
Power has been cut to the majority of the South Coast, due to strong winds which are gusting at 135km/h.
Road closures are numerous,
- Princes Hwy at Bodalla, Narooma, Tilba Tilba and Dignams Creek due to fallen trees, and Quaama due to a collision between a car and a fallen tree.
- Snowy Mountains Hwy at Bemboka due to fallen trees.
- Mt Darragh Rd due to fallen trees.

While the South Coast are currently getting a reprieve from the rain, another stormfront is expected this afternoon, and it has been stated that "100-200mm of rain is not out of the question". Flash flooding is more than likely to occur throughout the afternoon as a result of this, and has already occured in isolated cases.

Coastal inundation is also possible for residents by the ocean, with swells of 8-9m battering the coastline, which is expected to cause severe coastal erosion.

The SES have suggested you keep indoors, and to postpone all unnecessary travel until the storm subsides.

This system is similar to a Category 2 cyclone.

For more information, listen to local radio stations, or visit http://www.abc.net.au/news/southeastnsw/

Sir Pompously

Wind has started to pick up here, atleast in the valley. The Maple in the back yard has now lost most of its leaves, after only about 15 minutes of wind!

A bad situation for the South Coast, but there is nothing anyone can do but to sit back and watch what happens (If they can get Arena, Austar would be out aswell with the power gone).

Bus 400

I've just come back from Milton on the South Coast. Friday & Saturday nights we had big wind gusts, during Saturday we had rain on & off. Today the wind was picking up a bit & the health resort owner advised us to leave early as 130+k winds were predicted & it is felt worst where we were on the hill. All the way down the coast we had wind gusts & rain on & off. Showers all the way from Bateman's Bay to Canberra. I feel sorry for the rest of my group that was racing the weather up the coast to the Hunter region & those of them catching planes from Sydney this afternoon.

But the SES were hanging around the main street of Braidwood.

Bus 400

To add to my post, below is part of the SES briefing on the rough weather.

Background:
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) currently advise a low pressure system off the coast of
NSW has the potential to form an East Coast Low impacting across a footprint area from the
Hunter coast in the north to the far NSW South Coast and adjacent ranges, by Sunday 30
May 2010.

Current Situation:
This low pressure system has the potential to deliver severe weather over a 2-3 day period
commencing from Saturday 29 May.
The forecast includes heavy rainfall with possibility of minor to moderate riverine flooding,
gale force winds, heavy seas and swell conditions.
The greatest impact of this weather system is predicted to occur Sunday through to Monday,
with the South Coast, Shoalhaven and identified as having the greatest potential for riverine
flooding.
Predictions of 100 – 150mm rainfall over a 24 hour period are possible in affected areas.
The BOM indicate the possibility of Flood Watches and severe weather warning by Saturday
29 May.
BoM Severe Weather team and hydrologists will monitor rainfall in affected catchments
during Friday 28 May, leading into the weekend.
SES posturing for operational response at State, Region and Unit level commencing early
Saturday 28th.
SES planning and strategies continuing for the potential impacts of this weather activity on
the Upper Bulli Rail Basin Dam, in light of concerns and SES evacuation response actions of
26 May.
SEMC members will be receive a follow up brief by the afternoon of Friday 28 May, on
developments and SES response plans to be undertaken in relation to this Severe Weather
event.
At this stage it is not planned to conduct an SEMC a telephone hook-up.

Buzz Killington

Latest Weather
   Â°C    Rain since 9 am
Sydney    15°    0.0 mm
Melbourne    15°    0.0 mm
Brisbane    14°    0.0 mm
Perth    19°    0.0 mm
Adelaide    14°    0.0 mm
Hobart    12°    0.0 mm
Canberra    10°    13.4 mm
Darwin    28°    0.0 mm

Irisbus Rider

Flooding has reached the township of Bega, with the Bega River peaking at a height of 5.3m.
The RTA website reports a road closure on the Princes Hwy in the vicinity of Kisses Lagoon, due to the flooding. Restricted access may also be present on Buckajo Rd, which runs alongside the Bega River.

Hopefully this inundation is limited to roads, and does not affect establishments of any kind.

p_stampy

I think that wind in Canberra last night blew the remaining leaves off the trees to prepare us for winter tomorrow.

Bus 400

The Tathra Road in Bega has also been closed, but the section I am thinking is closed is a flood plain/swamp.

The small town of Nimmitabel recieved 139mm yesterday & this is on top of 120mm in one day a few weeks back. Which is a big improvement over previous years of very little rain.

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, you're right, the flooded section is in Jellat Jellat, where the road is basically 5m above sea level! The Tathra Rd (Snowy Mtns Hwy) runs directly through Penooka Swamp.
Unfortunately, there isn't an easy detour, with (at last glance) a closed Dr George Mountain Rd, to travel from Bega to Tathra, you are required to trek down to Merimbula, then back up to Kalaru via Sapphire Coast Dr.

Yeah, definately a turnaround for Nimmitabel, receiving just under half of it's annual rainfall in a three day period! It's definately welcome though.

Irisbus Rider

Actually, it appears some local roads have been opened;
Quote from: East Coast Radio 2EC
Road Closures and openings update

SERVICE: Road closures & openings updateUPDATE: 2pm 31/5/10

Roads now open: Mt Darragah Road; Towamba Road but still has water over road in sections caution to be taken; Coopers Gully Road; Dr George Mountain Road.

Roads Closed:

Buckajo Road intersection from North Bega to Grosses Creek;

Jellat Jellat is closed from Kerrisons Lane Bega to Sapphire Coast Drive water over road.

Tantawanglo Mountain Road - road is too wet and vehicles are getting bogged (4WD could make it but would not recommend 2WD).

Yankees Gap Road closed at Greens Crossing.

Dignam's Creek Road on Princes Highway is now open

Princes Highway and Snowy Mountains Highway - refer to RTA for advice and updates phone 132701

Bus 400

Also this note on the ACT Government website:
Road closures due to heavy rain fall

Motorists are advised that the following roads remain closed due to heavy rainfall: Mt Franklin (from Bulls Head), Bendora, Angle Crossing, Point Hut Crossing and Uriarra Crossing.

lukeo25

This cold weather is beautiful :) i'm loving it even though a lot hate it but hey not everyone loves cold weather like me   

Sir Pompously

Am hating the cold days, am loving the cold nights. Today was just shocking. With Wind Chill, about 1.8 at work today on the airport Ramp (Wind made worse by lack of protection).

p_stampy

Bus 400

During the recent cold weather, the town of Cooma received a bit of snow, with a report that on Tuesday that visibility was very poor due to snow fall.

It has also been nice to watch the snow showers on the Brindabella's.

p_stampy

Are you meant to be sounding like a news reporter?

Bus 400

Bus 400

BoM weren't wrong with the bad weather for the Snowy Mountains with very strong winds at Perisher & very icy outside. I feel sorry for the bus drivers stuck outside putting snow chains on & off.
But the mountains still look beautiful looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorzac

Pretty bad weather for flying into Canberra, there is a rather strong crosswind just off the main runway at the airport. Sydney is worse, I thought we were going to do a go around just before touch down it was that bad.

Snorzac

This weather is pretty crazy. A tree has fallen on my house. The SES have just arrived to clear it up.

Busnerd

Saw this on facebook, we are awaiting photos zac

Bus 400

I spent the day in Junee & Wagga, driving from Junee to Wagga you could see a wall of rain heading west. Then all the way home I would have 2-3k's of pelting rain, where you couldn't see the car in front & then 5-6k's of light showers, the strong wind gusts near Yass didn't help either. It is good to see that the Murrumbidgee River is higher then when I saw it a few years back & even higher in a few hours.

I checked out the Murrumbidgee River at Point Hut Crossing & it is just below the bridge, but I expect it to be shut shortly.

On a side note, ABC Radio was reporting that Adelaide's dams received 13 gigalitre boost over the last few days.

Bus 400

Your house was given a mention in today's CT Metrobus.

This front has reached Christchurch & Kaiapoi residents are being evacuated due to flood warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busnerd

Still waiting for the photos

Snorzac

They have been on fb for ages

Bus 400

Below is a paeragraph informing the SES of the upcoming weather:

BOM has a current Flood Watch for the local region. Their advise this morning is that the ACT and region can expect some rough weather over the next few days.

WED 13 OCT: some showers this afternoon becoming constant rain later in the night and into tomorrow morning.
THUR 14 OCT: showers throughout the day leading into heavy rain later in the afternoon and over night.
FRI 15 OCT: continuation of rain periods throughout the day.

BOM feel that the ACT and region may see up to 50mm of rain over THUR and FRI. There may be damaging winds and cold temperatures with some snow across the region forecast for FRI evening.  This may well see local flash flooding occurring and normal storm and flood RFA's.

BOM feel that during this period SWW's will be issued as required. As per normal the SES Duty Officer will send out SMS warning and keep you updated as things occur.

As well as this, ESA are getting sandbags ready.

Bus 400

This evening the ACT State Emergency Service issued a media release for flash flooding predicted overnight. It is predicted the ACT Region COULD receive 50mm overnight ^50-60k winds.

To put the rain into perspective from 03:00 Wednesday to 02:00 Thursday my place received 50mm & that 50mm soaked the ground very well. So any more rain will be run off into local storm water drains. But at the moment it looks like the rain won't be here for a while yet as it is still is Adelaide & moving slowly, probably around 03:00 again.

lukeo25

Buzz Killington

Rain since 9am today:

Canberra - 11.4mm
Tuggeranong: 43.8mm

Bus 400

My house recorded 55mm today & 50mm on Wednesday.

The Murrumbidgee River was at the 1.5m flood marker at Point Hut Crossing at 19:00 today. The Hume Highway has been closed near Holbrook due to flooding.

The Queanbeyan River was at minor flood levels above Googong Dam tonight.

Hopefully Googong Dam will be the next dam to overflow shortly & that Lake George fills up.

Bus 400

I have uploaded a few photos after exploring the aftermaths, they can be found at http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/Bus400/Murrumbidgee%20River%20Flood/. The photos on Corin Road are rare as not long after I photographed the landslide I reported it &an hour or so later the road was closed at Woods Reserve.

Snorzac

The storm is closing in on my house in Page, it is gonna be big!!

In case you are living under a rock, a severe weather alert has being issued for the ACT. 

Bus 400

There was a severe storm out Gungahlin way earlier this afternoon. Out at Mitchell we had 3-4cm hailstones. Sadly Tuggeranong Valley missed out on that storm & again we set to miss out on this next storm.

bubzie