Network 12 - what might have been

Started by Barry Drive, March 17, 2012, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

As I was reading through a document relating to Park and Ride site feasibility (you know, as you do), it included some Recommended / Proposed Network 12 maps. It's possible that these ideas have not been abandoned, but just postponed until next year. They also give some insight as to how proposed Erindale Bus Station would be used.

West Belconnen:

Route 312 changed to 12; route 313 changed to 13 and re-routed to Higgins and Kippax; route 314 diverted along Belconnen Way; route 16 extended up Florey Dr (not sure how far); route 44 deleted; new Blue Rapid routes 348 enters Kippax, Holt and West Macgregor; route 349 doesn't enter Kippax and continues into Macgregor. No indication how Charnwood, Dunlop and Macgregor would be serviced.

Tuggeranong:

Blue Rapid broken into 3 series: 310 (314, 315) via Erindale & terminates at Tuggeranong; 340 (348, 349) from West Belconnen & terminates at Tuggeranong; 390 (unknown) starts at Belconnen and continues to South Tuggeranong/Lanyon Valley.

Routes 60, 61, 62 & 64 retained as Tuggeranong to Woden routes; routes 11, 63, 65 & 66 deleted; new/modified routes 67, 68 & 69 travel between Tuggeranong & Erindale servicing south/east Tuggeranong; no routes travel via Erindale/Yamba Drives.

Bus 400

Going by the colours, it looks like the 45 will end up at Kippax via Florey Drive, the also the 13 no longer servicing Charnwood or Fraser. Within West Macgregor, the bus stops have been installed to continue around Marfarlane Burnett Avenue & come back to Cannan Crescent, which is where the 348 might head to Macgregor. It is funny how the 43 looks to be replaced with the 348. So at least 2 former route that didn't become Blue Rapid's will get there chance. But surely Belconnen could keep the one set of numbers, so either 10 or 40 series & not both.

Also by the looks of things, Routes 318 & 319 become 39* routes. But I don't see that right turn from Statton Street onto Ashley Drive working for Routes 67 & 68 during peak. Also, from my trips those stops being closed in Tuggeranong aren't used very often.

Buzz Killington

Wow. So unless you're in Kambah, Wanniassa, Oxley, part of Monash, Conder, Banks or Gordon, you would have to catch two buses to get to Woden?

That would not go down well.

Barry Drive

The full Park and Ride feasibility report can be viewed here.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 17, 2012, 10:29:50 PM
Wow. So unless you're in Kambah, Wanniassa, Oxley, part of Monash, Conder, Banks or Gordon, you would have to catch two buses to get to Woden?

That would not go down well.
That still is the plan, just not this year - they have to build Erindale Bus Station first. While I don't agree with it, I can understand why they want to do it. But adding an extra 5 to 10 minutes (allowing for connections) onto journeys from Gowrie / Fadden / Chisholm / Richardson / Gilmore etc to Woden and beyond is hardly going to result in an increase in public transport usage. And the changes shown would also increase travel time from south-east Monash (Cockcroft / Barraclough) to both Tuggeranong and Woden.

To be even remotely acceptable, they would need to run Xpresso services Tuggeranong - Erindale - City and/or extend peak services to Woden.

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 17, 2012, 04:52:05 PM
But I don't see that right turn from Statton Street onto Ashley Drive working for Routes 67 & 68 during peak.
Agreed. They could just as easily re-direct those routes along Sternberg Cr, although Sternberg/Erindale gets busy during peak as well.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on March 18, 2012, 02:12:53 PM
That still is the plan, just not this year - they have to build Erindale Bus Station first. While I don't agree with it, I can understand why they want to do it. But adding an extra 5 to 10 minutes (allowing for connections) onto journeys from Gowrie / Fadden / Chisholm / Richardson / Gilmore etc to Woden and beyond is hardly going to result in an increase in public transport usage. And the changes shown would also increase travel time from south-east Monash (Cockcroft / Barraclough) to both Tuggeranong and Woden.

To be even remotely acceptable, they would need to run Xpresso services Tuggeranong - Erindale - City and/or extend peak services to Woden.

I don't think that the Tuggeranong network is fantastic at the moment and could certainly do with some improvements but the idea of cutting half the district's access to "one bus" to Woden, even during off-peak, is ridiculous. Really hope that the final plan is nothing like this.

QuoteAgreed. They could just as easily re-direct those routes along Sternberg Cr, although Sternberg/Erindale gets busy during peak as well.

There is improvements on the way for Ashley Drive and the surrounds. To quote from Hansard:

New Traffic Lights
- Erindale and Sternberg
- Sternberg and Bugden
- Sternberg and Ashley
- Ashley and McBryde

Other works
- Duplication of Erindale Drive between Sternberg and Ashley

The Duplication of Ashley Drive from Erindale Drive to Johnson Drive is 'Stage 2' with no date set as yet.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on March 18, 2012, 03:00:32 PM
... the idea of cutting half the district's access to "one bus" to Woden, even during off-peak, is ridiculous. Really hope that the final plan is nothing like this.
Have a look at the Indicative 2016 network in the Transport for a Sustainable City policy. It shows Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong being serviced by a 2-10 min frequncy Rapid service (2 buses every 15 minutes). The purpose of diverting via Erindale is to provide connections for "coverage" services which terminate at Erindale.

I still can't see why the Woden - Erindale - Tuggeranong route needs a 2-10min frequency though; surely one bus every 15 minutes would be sufficient: it's good enough for Kippax and eventually Weston Creek (Cooleman). What makes Erindale so special?

By the way, I'm also not overly impressed by the idea of running route 314 via Belconnen Way on the way to Flynn & Fraser. It's not exactly the most direct route.

Bus 400

I suppose if you compare Erindale with Kippax, Cooleman Court & Dickson Group Centre's. The feeder services will/do service the closest town centre. While in Erindale's case, anyone who lives south of Erindale only have a direct link to Tuggeranong Town Centre & will loose their Woden Town Centre connection. So you've got to make up for it somehow & they are doing that by keeping the passenger dwelling time at Erindale to a minimum.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on March 21, 2012, 03:31:52 PM
So you've got to make up for it somehow & they are doing that by keeping the passenger dwelling time at Erindale to a minimum.
And the way to do it is to schedule the routes arriving and departing Erindale so that they always connect with a Rapid to or from Woden. You don't need more than one bus every 15 minutes to make this happen. You also shouldn't be disadvantaging passengers who need a direct Woden Tuggeranong service in favour of a longer service via Erindale.

Bus 400

What are you doing talking sense like that, kiddies might be reading this & think you have to make sense in planning decision's.

Bus 400

On a bored night at home, I found in the Ashley Drive Upgrade Report thing another suggestion for how buses may of used Erindale Bus Station in Network 2011 (which became Network 2012). The report can be found at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/244556/110208rep-IC10310_Ashley_Drive_Feasibility_Study_Final_Reduced.pdf

But here we go: