Japan Rail Gestures - An insight into JR strangeness

Started by Sir Pompously, June 09, 2010, 10:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Now for those that have been to Japan, you will notice train crew will give Gestures and talk to themselves. It seems as if they are just crazy, however there is a purpose. One of my friends found this article which explains why. I found it quite interesting, others may not, however it shows a huge difference between Australian rail and Japan's. I will also post a video for those that don't know 'Pointing and Calling'.

Video
JR東海313系 熱海駅3番線発車メロディー

Article

QuoteJR gestures

By ALICE GORDENKER

Dear Alice, Until recently I lived in Tokyo and commuted on the JR Chuo Sobu Line from Kameido Station. I made it a practice to ride in the last compartment of the train, just so I could enjoy the spectacle of the driver making those sincere hand gestures at each and every station. I've seen the same thing on other train and subway lines, so I'm sure there is a very good reason they do this. But what the heck is it?

News photo

Madhu S., Chennai, India

Dear Madhu,

For the benefit of readers who have never been on a Japanese train, or have missed all the fun by riding in the wrong car, I should explain that the trains you used to ride were 10 cars long and operated by two employees: a driver in the front and a conductor in the back. Since you were in the last car, it was actually the conductor you were watching. And I know just what you saw: an employee in a neat uniform and cap, all alone yet apparently engaged in animated conversation while making vigorous gesticulations. It is indeed a spectacle, and anyone witnessing it for the first time might well wonder if there's a madman at the controls.

FOR MORE CLICK LINK BELOW

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ek20081021wh.html

smitho

Thanks - very flash. Yes, Japanese Railways staff have a culture all their own.

(But I'm glad its not just ACTION drivers who talk to themselves weirdly and make strange gesticulations!).