Greens Back Labor: Transport Related Agreements

Started by Buzz Killington, November 02, 2008, 11:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

So the ACT Greens have backed Labor, and Jon Stanhope remains Chief Minister.

The greens have published their Agreement with Labor, and here's some key transport-related points, and a few others.

2.1 Increase recurrent funding for cycling infrastructure to $3.6 million per annum from
2009-10, and provide $2.5 million to address the maintenance backlog and
implementation of signage on the cycling network.

2.2. An additional $500,000 per annum recurrent above current levels for footpath
upgrades and maintenance, starting in 2009-2010.

2.3 Undertaking consultation on implementing 40km/hr speed limits around shopping
and community centres.

2.4 Adopting a goal of guaranteed bus frequency of 30 minutes. The first stage of the
proposal, considering time periods and appropriate locations should begin
implementation by the middle of 2009.

2.5 Conducting a trial by December 2010 of demand responsive transport, developed in
consultation with taxi companies, taxi hire car and bus companies.

2.6 Working immediately for the removal of Monash Drive from the National Capital
Plan.

2.7 Reviewing of the current Integrated Transport Framework, with the aim of producing
new targets which meet our legislated greenhouse target.

2.8 Completing three new Park and Ride and Bike and Ride facilities at Southlands,
Erindale, and Mitchell by the end of 2010. New ACTION bus maps should be printed
with Park and Ride and Bike and Ride facilities marked.

And some other points of interest:

3.1 Introducing a levy on plastic bags in supermarkets and other retailers. This will be a
12-month trial, and will be implemented in the first half of 2009.

5.5 Incorporating excellence in sustainable design in the Molonglo development,
including: inclusion of a third pipeline for non-potable water, construction of public
transport infrastructure from the outset of the development
; mandatory solar passivity;
and pedestrian friendly design.

11.2 Reconsider the issue of voting for 16 and 17 year olds, by supporting a Legislative
Assembly Inquiry before the end of 2010 to consider the issue and look at other models
of participatory democracy for young people.

Busnerd

I don't have a problem with any of that except for the plan to remove monash drive! It's just them and their typical 'oh this area is the endangered habitat of the flat mushroom' or some crap

Buzz Killington

Yeah, thats the one thing that annoyed me. It would've taken some pressure off of Northbourne.

Friggin Greens.

Sir Pompously

I have to say I am quite happy with this result, except for the Monash Drive deletion! Even though according to my father it has been around in the plans since he was young!

Cycleways are in dire need of an upgrade, i mean even little things such as lines on the paths are that faded they cannot be seen anymore. Signage is also needed, as on most older cycleways the signs have gone missing or are faded. The new signage is good, just not in enough locations. Personally it should be like a road, directing people to suburb entrys (When a bikepath has an exit onto a footpath or road) and directional signage for people joining the cycleways with kilometre distances. The new signage is bigger, and reflective blue and white.

Park and Ride is well needed (As most previous Park and Ride is pretty much gone, there are only a few around now), and I am guessing Bike 'n Ride facilities relates to Bike Lockers rather than Bike Racks, as I don't know exactly how you can have a Bike 'n Ride facility in any other form!

The Guaranteed 30 minute frquency I can welcome with open arms! Whether it will actually be implemented is another thing. Like all Governments do, they say one thing and introduce something totally different!

Snorzac

The 30 min frequency-can we expect this on weekends as well?

Sir Pompously

We can hope for it, however expecting it will be abit too much. I reckon the 30 min frequency will be weekday only!

Busnerd

I think 45 minute minimum for weekends should be lade legislation or something...you just can't get anywhere on a weekend, it simply takes way too long!

Snorzac

I have to agree. weekend are hard to get around on. Especially if you live along the route 905, the first bus gets to Belconnen at 9:55 and the last leave at 6:34 on a weekend. And hopefully with 'Network 09' Erindale Intertown diversion will be gone.

Sir Pompously

Well duh, they are going to introduce the one route number 7 days a week scheme that worked so well for many years. This means no more intertown diversion.

Ed

Quote2.6 Working immediately for the removal of Monash Drive from the National Capital
Plan.

This is why I'd rather vote for fascists than the bloody Greens.

Irisbus Rider

Seriously, don't get me started!

A vote for the Libs would have ben a vote for Light Rail. The Greens/Labor don't even mention it there!

This is a major screw up, get ready for shit all for transport for the next 4 years, again! Idiots!