Tuggie Bus

Started by Buzz Killington, December 20, 2011, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

The Tuggie Bus was a short-lived community bus service that commenced operation in Kambah and Wanniassa on Monday 9 June 1980.

Routes 555 and 556 operated in anti-clockwise and clockwise loops respectively. Whilst they traveled along parts of existing bus routes, they also traveled along streets that were not previously serviced.

On those streets, new wooden 'peg' style bus stops were added, painted red to differentiate them from the usual yellow pegs. The words 'Tuggie Bus Stop' were printed on them.

Read the full article: http://actbus.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1038:tuggie-bus&catid=9:services&Itemid=8

route56

Who wants to come gunzelling looking for a red peg... :mono:

Buzz Killington

As a former resident of Kambah, I'm 99.9% certain that the red pegs no longer exist. You would probably be able to find evidence of where they used to be - just look for the telltale concrete at the side of the road with the peg cut off at ground level :)

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 04, 2012, 07:07:28 PM
As a former resident of Kambah, I'm 99.9% certain that the red pegs no longer exist. You would probably be able to find evidence of where they used to be - just look for the telltale concrete at the side of the road with the peg cut off at ground level :)

I can't say I've seen any while doing runs.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on January 04, 2012, 07:07:28 PM
Best place to look: Allchin Circuit. It's also possible that former Tuggie Bus stops have been converted to School Only stops.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on January 06, 2012, 11:24:06 AM
Best place to look: Allchin Circuit. It's also possible that former Tuggie Bus stops have been converted to School Only stops.

Almost certain there's no pegs on Allchin, but there was signs of old bus stops (concreting).

Only School-Only stops in Kambah are the two on Boddington between Barritt and Drakeford, and on Livingston between Atkins and Sulwood. There's also some bus stops on McTaggart Cct off Livingston dating to the days when the Kambah East express ran up there, but from memory they are black and yellow.

Bus 400

What about Livingston Avenue between Summerland Circuit & Vosper Street Mr Buzz?

These stops have had their peg replaced with a yellow blade with "school service" stickers (well most of them) though.

Buzz Killington

Ah yes, forgot about those :)

Bus 400

Went for a drive around Kambah (I was bored) & I couldn't see any signs of former bus stops on Allchin Circuit, I think these have now been overgrown with weeds. There is only one peg left on McTaggart Circuit, which is blue & white, while the Livingston Avenue school stop near McTaggart Circuit is looking worse for wear.

Other missed school stops are on Learmonth Drive in between Bateman Street & Flagstaff Street, also one 2 stops are on Flagstaff Street & only one left on Ivo Whitton Circuit. These stops are yellow with a black stripe & the works "(School Services Only)". There is also a school only stop on Mount Vernon Drive in between the 2 roundabouts.

I did drive the 555 Tuggie Loop, sadly there are no signs of any Tuggie Bus only stop except for a light pole featuring a "signal bus"sticker in it between Ramsay Place & Fincham Street & a similar thing on the north & southbound side of Drakeford Drive in between the 2 Summerland Circuit/O'Halloran Circuit traffic lights. On the northbound side of Drakeford there is a concrete pad. The big thing is though that a whole heap of bus stops in Kambah had there wooden pegs replaced with the blades & back in the old days, ACTION was quicker in removing redundant bus stop infrastructure.

Kramden

No doubt about it 400, your dedication and efforts in documenting bus information is to be applauded.  Proves that boredom can be a positive thing after all!

Also congrats to Ian Cooper for the original article on the old Tuggie Bus.  Loads of well researched info there.

Just think, in many years from now people will be looking back with interest about MAN Euro 5s.  At least the documentation for this is likely to be more at hand thanks to online technologies.

Buzz Killington

Here's a photo which shows the Tuggie Bus stops.. anyone recognise where in Kambah this is?

Busnerd

best bet is probably to go and look for those houses

Buzz Killington

The road doesn't look particularly wide, which might suggest either Mannheim, Springbett or perhaps Vansittart. The white house looks kinda familiar but it's hard to place.

If it's Allchin Cct there's potential problems with identifying the houses as it was hit pretty hard in the 03 Firestorm and a fair few places up the back were lost.