Sydney June 2011

Started by Bus 400, June 18, 2011, 10:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

Below is a selection of photos from a recent visit to Sydney.

TrasdevTSL Bus 114 (Scania K230UB) sits at Hornsby Station.

TrasdevTSL Bus 116 (Scania K230UB) sits at Gordon Station.

Telfords Bus 164 (Renault PR100.2 MkI) (ex ACTION Bus 769) sits at Gordon Station

Sydney Buses Bus 1521 (Volvo B12BLE) sits under the Sydney Harbour Bridge at Milson's Point.

Sydney Buses Bus 1868 (Mercedes Benz 0500LE CNG) sits at Millers Point Terminus.

Sydney Buses Bus 4854 (Volvo B12BLE Euro 5) leaves Millers Point Terminus. Observatory Hill is in the background.

Sydney Buses Bus 4855 (Volvo B12BLE Euro 5) leaves Millers Point Terminus. The approach to Sydney Harbour Bridge can be seen in the background. If you walk under the approach you are in "The Rocks" which (for those who are unaware) is the really old part of Sydney.

Sydney Buses Bus 3881 (Volvo B10BLE) is seen at North Fort Terminus (North Head).

Finally, Sydney Buses Bus 4849 (Volvo B12BLE Euro 5) is seen leaving Clovelly Terminus. The shelter in the background is one of the shelters from when trams came to Clovelly.

Pictures that didn't make the cut (& old ones) can be found at http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/Bus400/NSW%20State%20Transit%20Authority/?start=all

EDIT-CHASSIS TYPE CHANGED FOR LAST PHOTO.

Snorzac

Nice pictures, that last one is a Euro V Volvo BTW

smitho

Check out this strange looking bus from the Bankstown Coaches fleet; saw one in Canberra last week.

http://www.bankstowncoaches.com.au/index.htm

Snorzac

I believe that is ex Murrays

The Love Guru

It is one of the ex-Murrays 14.5m high deck coaches they have. Driver sits on his own downstairs with a jump seat next to him. Up stairs there are 63 seats and a stair way to the rear door and toilet. I've driven them lots of times, they are fairly under powered being i believe a Scania k113 chassis with 360hp motor. These buses were used almost exclusively on the Sydney-Canberra services racking up many million km's doing so.

Busnerd

You are correct guys, from memory the front two axles turn and one of the rear axles acts like a tag axle and the remaining one is a lazy axle. These were use pretty much only on Canberra - Sydney services. They ran along side the single level three axle L113 coaches and the occasional 2 axle one, however those buses also got used on other work whereas the 4 axles only ran cbr-syd express. IIRC all buses for the CBR-SYD have now been replaced by BCI's

Irisbus Rider

Shameless plug: If you're interested in one or more of these vehicles, the upcoming 'Bankstown Coaches Tour' (3rd July, 2011) will enable you to see and ride some of these vehicles firsthand - see this thread on ATDB for more information.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Busn00b on June 20, 2011, 11:39:39 AM
You are correct guys, from memory the front two axles turn and one of the rear axles acts like a tag axle and the remaining one is a lazy axle. These were use pretty much only on Canberra - Sydney services. They ran along side the single level three axle L113 coaches and the occasional 2 axle one, however those buses also got used on other work whereas the 4 axles only ran cbr-syd express. IIRC all buses for the CBR-SYD have now been replaced by BCI's

Axle configuration was 8x2, Twin steer, single drive with a lazy/tag on the back. The tag was only a single tyre arrangement.

Just for your info Mat, a tag and lazy axle are the same thing.

smitho

Quote from: Chris_Guru on June 20, 2011, 11:27:47 AM
It is one of the ex-Murrays 14.5m high deck coaches they have. Driver sits on his own downstairs with a jump seat next to him. Up stairs there are 63 seats and a stair way to the rear door and toilet. I've driven them lots of times, they are fairly under powered being i believe a Scania k113 chassis with 360hp motor. These buses were used almost exclusively on the Sydney-Canberra services racking up many million km's doing so.

Ah ha!

I reckon I travelled in one of these up to Sydney with Murrays some years ago. Found the isolation of the driver a bit strange, but otherwise, a nice bus to ride in if you can't get on the Xplorer..

belcodriver

Quote from: Chris_Guru on June 20, 2011, 08:38:29 PM
Axle configuration was 8x2, Twin steer, single drive with a lazy/tag on the back. The tag was only a single tyre arrangement.

Just for your info Mat, a tag and lazy axle are the same thing.

I thought a lazy axle was one that could be lifted off the road when the vehicle is not loaded.

Busnerd

Well that's usually seen on trucks, a lazy axle being lifted up off the road. But for bus terms I mean lazy axle as one that doesn't turn and gets dragged basically. When I say Tag I meant a single wheel/axle that turns the opposite way to assist in the turning circle, as seen on 14.5's etc.

John will also remember the 'rush for the front seats' when catching these buses, people raced to sit at the front because you had an uninterrupted view of the road ahead, with the driver beneath you.

smitho

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on June 20, 2011, 03:18:40 PM
Shameless plug: If you're interested in one or more of these vehicles, the upcoming 'Bankstown Coaches Tour' (3rd July, 2011) will enable you to see and ride some of these vehicles firsthand - see this thread on ATDB for more information.

Thanks for the tip, Irisbus Rider - might try and get along to this tour.

Irisbus Rider

No worries Smitho, I too would be travelling up for this one, but work commitments clash with that date.

Quote from: Busn00b on June 21, 2011, 10:20:15 AMJohn will also remember the 'rush for the front seats' when catching these buses, people raced to sit at the front because you had an uninterrupted view of the road ahead, with the driver beneath you.
He he, yep, I sure do, and it would always be those conscientious elderly folk that had been camped out at the bay for hours who got those few prized seats.

smitho

Any suggestions on how I might book on this tour please Irisbusrider? Or contacts @ the historic vehicle mob as have never had any dealings with them...

Busnerd

I have been advised by the HCVA Events Co-Ordinator that you just turn up, no bookings required.