So, rainy evening, lets check the storm water levels!

Started by Sir Pompously, December 02, 2010, 10:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

Smart move, has been raining for long time and they decide to check out the water levels (Clearly to try and cross) and 'current'. Little drowning man would be very disappointed in them, seeing as though he is on all the F**king signs surrounding storm water drains advising people (Especially Children) to avoid them on rainy days! 
Teen survives stormwater drain terror
BY JACQUELINE WILLIAMS
01 Dec, 2010 09:05 AM
Fourteen-year-old Josie Norton-Clement survived a horror 400m ride through an underground drainage pipe yesterday after being swept into a stormwater drain at Griffith.

Suffering only minor cuts and bruises after her five-minute ordeal, the Narrabundah girl was miraculously rescued after ACT Fire Brigade officers spotted her tiny hand emerging from a grate in front of St Paul's Anglican Church in Manuka, on the corner of Captain Cook Crescent and Canberra Avenue.

''I thought I was going to die, I thought that was it, I was really scared, terrified,'' Josie said last night after she was discharged from Canberra Hospital.

''It was pitch-black in the tunnel, I couldn't see anything, all I could hear was the water and I didn't think I'd be able to get out.

''I was so scared and worried about everything and my family.''

Josie and her best friend Ellie Smith were on their way home from school when they decided to miss their usual 4.07pm bus. They figured they were already sopping wet and wanted to make the most of a miserable rainy afternoon.

It was 15 minutes later when things went horribly wrong at the stormwater drain between Flinders Way and Captain Cook Crescent at the back of the Flinders Tennis Club in Griffith. ''We went down to the drains to see the water level and the current and she [Josie] slipped in and got stopped at the bars, she was caught under them, her leg was stuck and her head was going up and under the water,'' Ellie said.

''You could just see she was panicking ... she was drowning.''

For more on this story, including details of the rescue and more photographs, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Remember Kids:

bubzie