676 failure

Started by triumph, August 16, 2019, 10:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumph

676 had a problem today. It looked odd N bound crossing Northbourne Ave in the City. A nearer look showed that the back unit at the articulation was a bit lower than the front unit.

It must have got worse, as later it was in the City bound platform in Cohen St Belconnen, with the heavy recovery truck in attendance (not hooked up though). The back section was now way down at the articulation point, almost in contact with the road.

Despite the dramatic appearance the driver of the bus I was on remarked that this was probably the result of a progressive leak with, perhaps eventually a burst, of an airbag. (Can anyone confirm that this is possible and explain how the articulation and airbag are set up and interact?) 

Snorzac

It appears to have been a major fault with the turntable. Whatever it is it appears all other Volgren artics have been removed from service as when i picked up my dinner from an outlet near the depot there was no blue artics in the sheds at all and as I drove home i noted multiple parked on the Coulter drive edge of the depot. 

Attached is a picture of the stranded 676 as seen on "OnScene ACT", credit to an "Anonymous OnScene ACT Contributor"

Sylvan Loves Buses

Wow, how about that huh. I saw that when it wasn't that bad in Tuggeranong, Thursday evening (5:40pm). It certainly looked quite odd then.

Busfanatic101

Oh wow. Provides a little justification for my primary school excursion habit of sitting at the back of the front half and holding onto the turntable handles in the Renault artics so that I could pull the back half safely back to school in case it fell off (back then I thought the bendy fabric was all that held the bus together 😂😂).

Snorzac

Whilst tending to my lowly unimportant anyone could do UberEats job I note that most of the Volgren artics are back in the shed tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajw373

Any out today? I didn't notice any, but wasn't really on roads with much in the way of buses anyway, especially artics.

King of Buses

Quote from: ajw373 on August 19, 2019, 06:54:48 PMAny out today? I didn't notice any, but wasn't really on roads with much in the way of buses anyway, especially artics.

Yes.

triumph

Quote from: ajw373 on August 19, 2019, 06:54:48 PMAny out today? I didn't notice any, but wasn't really on roads with much in the way of buses anyway, especially artics.
Quote from: King of Buses on August 19, 2019, 08:39:12 PMYes.
To amplify slightly, saw 672 (R4) and 680 (R2) northbound a few minutes apart at Westfield, Belconnen, early evening. (Buses from the 506-538 tranche were about as usual.)

If there was ever a stand-down, the inspections needed must have been very straightforward.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: triumph on August 19, 2019, 10:45:40 PMthe inspections needed must have been very straightforward.

I'm sure there were a few knees (joints) 'bending' during the process.