Sydney buses and trains

Started by Jack Bauer, July 21, 2008, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Bauer

After catching a couple of buses oveer the past week, just wanted to say Im a fan of Sydney's buses... there gassies sound much better than ours, and I love there mk5s (I think thats what they were), they have a nice grunt.

Plus I caught a heap of trains - all were running smoothly and on time. CityRail (going by its recent history) lifted their game for a very important week and did very well. 

Busnerd

You were up here and you didnt even say hi?

How rude :P

Irisbus Rider

Hold on, more info please. Firstly, what were the fleet numbers (if possible) of the buses you caught, what area were you in, and gassies, Merc or Scania?

Buzz Killington

Bauer, did you tell you mum you were going to see the pope too?

Irisbus Rider

Jack Bauer

Mum? She knew. I think the gassie was like 12** and the merc like 33** cant be sure i was in and around the city... i think the routes i got on were 3** somethings one was to moore park

Buzz Killington

lol, RR was in Sydney last week and told his mum he was going to world youth day.

he in fact, was not.

Jack Bauer

But did he tell God he was going to WYD? The Lord must be pissed off knowing he got shunted for buses...

Irisbus Rider

Awwww, now I feel guilty, lol.

What my mum doesn't know won't hurt her. As for God, well, I did listen to the broadcast of the mass on 2UE, while I was on a 14.5m Scania on a 288. Does that count?

Back to the buses, yeah, those Merc Gassies are quite an experience!

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 23, 2008, 10:11:47 PM

What my mum doesn't know won't hurt her. As for God, well, I did listen to the broadcast of the mass on 2UE, while I was on a 14.5m Scania on a 288. Does that count?

See you in hell, John :P

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Sir Pompously on July 24, 2008, 03:42:26 PM

See you in hell, John :P

Lol, at least It'll be warmer than here :P

Simes

As for God, well, I did listen to the broadcast of the mass on 2UE, while I was on a 14.5m Scania on a 288. Does that count?

Mmmmm yes you need the help of all the gods on those things  :P

Simes

Quote from: Jack Bauer on July 21, 2008, 11:03:35 AM
.....I love there mk5s (I think thats what they were), they have a nice grunt......

Mmmmmm yes they are my favourite, did you get to take em in down the Anzac Pde busway? I've enjoyed them since they were new and if you love em now, you would of been head over heels with a marriage proposal when they were new  :D

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Simes on July 30, 2008, 12:03:52 AM
As for God, well, I did listen to the broadcast of the mass on 2UE, while I was on a 14.5m Scania on a 288. Does that count?

Mmmmm yes you need the help of all the gods on those things  :P
HA HA!!! Don't tell Norbert that, he'll have you head for that lol.

The only MkVs I like are 3251 and 3252, because I had a ride on one with a driver treating them like they ought to have been! (Thrashed).

Simes

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 30, 2008, 11:55:01 AM

HA HA!!! Don't tell Norbert that, he'll have you head for that lol.

He'd expect me to say something bad about those pieces of shit (yes great engine but the rest is fucking awful - ahhhh finally a board with no word filter)

Quote from: Renault Rider on July 30, 2008, 11:55:01 AM

The only MkVs I like are 3251 and 3252, because I had a ride on one with a driver treating them like they ought to have been! (Thrashed).
They're gas and i*****d - although they're still mkV's and I'd prefer them over anything built after them.

Actually I was talking with someone else about them last night, I'll repeat what I said to him. To me the O405's, the mkV's were the pinicale of buses built for the government here. They are all passing the 20 year old mark and not a single one has been withdrawn yet, they sound beautiful, they can run days between a refill. To me everything built after 3380 has been compromised in someway or another, the Scania's let down by the bodies, the O405NH's are slugs, the Volvos had worse bodies than the Scanias and the B12BLE's are thirsty - now we have heavyweight mercs.....

Irisbus Rider

Actually, there is a word filter. The "I" word, ha ha.

14.5s, they're nothing special IMO. Hardly enthused my them.

Ha ha, yeah, Gov't operators have really let their bus selection slide, even here at ACTION, basically, anything after the Merc O305s were worse then the previous product. And, yeah, those O405s are surprisingly good for their age.

As for 3251 and 52, you have to get Riad driving one of them, he knows how to drive them! Probably quicker off the mark than their best gas Scania.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Renault Rider on August 01, 2008, 09:15:47 AM

lol, that's the only word on there.

Simes

14.5s, they're nothing special IMO. Hardly enthused my them.

Ha ha, yeah, Gov't operators have really let their bus selection slide, even here at ACTION, basically, anything after the Merc O305s were worse then the previous product. And, yeah, those O405s are surprisingly good for their age.

As for 3251 and 52, you have to get Riad driving one of them, he knows how to drive them! Probably quicker off the mark than their best gas Scania.

Hahaha nice one with the filter  ;)

Yeah I have been with Riad on 51 and 52, I've seen one of them do the tonne in a certain long tunnel here. Also seen what he can do with a mkII...(K tour shinanigans aside)

belcodriver

Is it a matter of selection or just what's being built these days?

I'm far from an expert but I think one of the worst problems with the Irises (and probably the Scania's too but I haven't driven one for over a year) is the suspension. Is this because the low floors mandate independent front suspension? They could certainly use better damping and probably upgraded software too.

Although my favourite buses are (good) Pr.2s I'd have to put Irises a little ahead of Pr.3s so I'm disagreeing with your successive crapness theory.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: belcodriver on August 02, 2008, 01:58:37 PM

Is it a matter of selection or just what's being built these days?

I'm far from an expert but I think one of the worst problems with the Irises (and probably the Scania's too but I haven't driven one for over a year) is the suspension. Is this because the low floors mandate independent front suspension? They could certainly use better damping and probably upgraded software too.

Although my favourite buses are (good) Pr.2s I'd have to put Irises a little ahead of Pr.3s so I'm disagreeing with your successive crapness theory.
I think you're just too nice of a critic, ha ha.

The Iris' have so much potential, but without rear doors, and that suspension, it really lets them down. That rear suspension is ridiculous, I still haven't quite worked out what causes it, but the ACTION mechanics should really investigate it, because it's a major problem. As a passenger, I've nearly been thrown out of my seat, by both the suspension, and those damn ZF gearboxes.

The Scanias are oooooookay.........I guess.

And I'll have to agree with Simes, the last good bus built was the O405, I'm thinking long and hard about a good bus built after that, but I got nothing.

The .2s are good workhorses, but it's rare to find one with a whole lot of power, but I think the 3 speed gearbox doesn't do it any mercy.

The .3s are in a domain of their own, as are the Darts :P
I'll probably be shot for those comments by certain members on this board, ha ha.

As for STA, nothing was really good after the O405s, yeah.