The Molonglo Thread

Started by Buzz Killington, January 02, 2008, 06:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

Heard this one on the radio this afternoon, the three first suburbs for Molonglo (in between Belco and Weston) have been named, after famous aussies. And they are....

Wright, Sulman and Coombs

Irisbus Rider

Buzz Killington

i havent found anything online, so im just going from the newsreader's pronunciation

Buzz Killington

you were quite right, RR. From wikipedia:

Sir John Sulman (August 29, 1849 - August 18, 1934) was an Australian architect. Born in Greenwich, England, he emigrated to Sydney, Australia in 1885. From 1921 to 1924 he was chairman of the Federal Capital Advisory Committee and influenced the development of Canberra.

Judith Arundell Wright (31 May 1915?26 June 2000) was an Australian poet, environmentalist and campaigner for Aboriginal land rights.[1]

Herbert Cole Coombs (24 February 1906 ? 29 October 1997), referred to in his professional life as Dr. H. C. Coombs but commonly known as "Nugget" Coombs, Australian economist and public servant

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, we got this news through at about 5:30am, I'm suprised public servants were up that early.

Busnerd

Now we have to keep the darts to get a Wright dennis dart in Wright

But will it be called Coombs or just Coomb?

Are there any other suburbs with a and S on the end like that?

CanberraTransport

Quote from: ABC NewsDevelopment in the Molonglo Valley in Canberra's west has moved a step closer with the naming of the first three suburbs in the area.

ACT Planning Minister Andrew Barr says the suburbs have been named after poet Judith Wright; architect and town planner Sir John Sulman; and public servant Dr Nugget Coombs.

He says the development - between Belconnen and Weston Creek - is expected to start by the second half of the year.

"The initial development would start in the north-western area," he said.

"So the names that the place name committee have recommended would be for those first suburbs at the Weston Creek end."

About 33,000 homes are expected to be built in Molonglo, housing up to 73,000 people.

"The development is being planned to set a new standard in suburb design and development," Mr Barr said.

"It will achieve greater energy efficiency, higher water efficiency and quality, and better links to open spaces and transport."

Buzz Killington

wow, the government is stepping up development. i didnt expect molonglo to begin until after gungahlin was nearly done.

Bus 400

Especially since Gungahlin is nowhere near complete. Gungahlin still has Bonner,Casey,Crace,Franklin,Jacka,Kenny,Kinlyside,Lawson,Moncreiff,Taylor & Throsby. But I do have another name they can give a suburb, "Mulanggari." It was meant to be where Harrison is & Harrison was meant to be where north Franklin will go & Gungahlin Town Centre was meant to be where the Yerrabi ponds are now. So since they kicked out that suburb name, they do the right thing & call a Molonglo suburb "Mulanggari."
I wonder what the number the bus routes will get? Maybe the '30 series'? Since this series has been made available by Network '08.

Irisbus Rider

In reply to Busnerd;
- "Isaacs".

Thats one, there's many more.

I think it's probably a good idea to start development a.s.a.p, as it may be some welcome relief to the high property prices we are all facing.

Oh, and Bus 400, it has been made clear that the 59 will service both Bonner and Forde.

Bus 400

I know about 59, I'm talking about Molonglo.

Buzz Killington

yeah, they should really use Mullanggari somewhere else. It's a nice name, and IIRC the theme for the suburb was meant to be Notable Aboriginal Women.

Also, Lawson is not in Gungahlin.

Busnerd

I doubt they will re-use Mullanggari, which i never got a photo of it that day 343 pulled into woden with simply 'Mullanggari' on the desto, which I think is no longer written in the program, as the grasslands behind franklin are named 'Mullanggari..whatever you call those areas' you can see the parks and wildlife style sign on Gungahlin Drive. So no point putting it in an area other than Gungahlin.

I am also shocked they are starting development this year. So that means this year we will be seeing the completion of Harrison. The completion of Franklin stage 1 (which i believe is just about complete, upon the extension of WELL STATION RD) Franklin stage 2 which i being started now. A large slice of Casey completed, and total new developments Coombs, Wright and Sulman. Im glad the goverment has finally started really going ahead with this, it will help to lower property prices I think. The one thing i cant understand myself is how is there so much demand for land? there cant be that many people in canberra..do ppl want to move here? is our population increasing at a fast enough rate to require more housing?

Good thing about this is, once its done, 73,000 more residents means canberras population should be around 403,000 meaning just 97,000 more people off allowing light rail to be sustainable. I just hope they keep public transport in mind in these new developments, perhaps leaving a corridor free for future bus lanes/interchange even or light rail lines.

Oh well, this is all good news for us!

Not to mention the ongoing construction at Brindabellas bonython, the ponds at ginninderra, the new part of macgregor! Its going to be a big year here! many new roads to drive around once they open up! So i think this will be a major discussion point for 08.

Busnerd

Geez! Twelve suburbs!

Being a suburb name enthusiast myself I am very much looking foward to hearing the other 9 suburbs that will be in our vocabs. for the next 10 years or so. Lets hope all these suburbs are bonython/franklin sized so that they are completed quickly allowing for another suburb to be done.

Bus 400

Well going by this article dated 04/11/03, work is starting late on Molonglo:
Quote from: The Canberra Times
Stromlo will go within three years
By Scott Hannaford and Peter Brewer
Development on open land to the west of Canberra will start within three years, beginning a dramatic reshaping of the urban landscape and preparing for a possible population of half a million by 2032.
The ACT Government issued its vision for the expansion of Canberra yesterday, the draft Canberra Spatial Plan, which will see fundamental changes to the shape and population density of the national capital.
Under the plan, foreshadowed by The Canberra Times yesterday, the fire-ravaged pine forests at Stromlo will make way for up to 12,500 houses, with suburbs stretching from the western edge of Lake Burley Griffin to well beyond the Molonglo River. The land would most likely be developed by the Government.
Planning Minister Simon Corbell said housing would start in the Molonglo Valley by 2006.
The Kowen forest to the east of the city has also been reserved for 8000 homes once Stromlo is completed.
In the longer term, Kowen is also seen as having the potential for 26,000 dwellings, but Mr Corbell said the ACT Government would still have land available west of the Murrumbidgee River if it chose to reestablish its pine forests.
Gungahlin would also be extended further north to meet the NSW border with up to 28,000 additional dwellings.
Planners have turned their back on previous development concepts, such as building along transport corridors to the north of Canberra at Gooromon-Jeir in nearby NSW, instead casting a 15km radius out from the city centre, with all development in the next 30 years to be contained within that circle. A smaller 7.5km radius from the city shows the areas that will be substantially in-filled in the next 15 years.
A bushfire abatement zone will surround all new and future housing areas of the ACT and a protection zone will be put around the airport which will prevent housing in areas that may be affected by aircraft noise, including areas of NSW such as the proposed Tralee development.
Land around the airport - regarded by the planners as a vital transport hub - has also been identified for further industrial development in such a way that it can be included in transport plans and that further expansion of the airport is not restricted.
Town centres and in particular Civic will become the focus of urban redevelopment with the goal of creating higher density areas and revitalising the city centre with more business and residential accommodation of up to 41,500 new dwellings in existing areas.
A corridor taking in Fyshwick, Mitchell, Hume and the airport could also be developed as an important employment area.
The draft plan has invoked strong criticism from town planners, the Opposition and cross-bench MLAs, environmental groups, Queanbeyan City Council and the National Capital Authority, which controls much of the land which would be affected. A number of building and industry groups welcomed the draft plan, saying it created a way forward for the city, especially Civic.
Mr Corbell said the future developments would give Canberrans a greater choice of where they wanted to live, would allow people to work and live in the ACT rather than see revenue go to NSW, and would change the focus of transport away from cars towards public transport.
Conservation groups are concerned about some general aspects of the plan, particularly the continued growth of Gungahlin where development will encroach on the habitat of endangered birds like the Brown Treecreeper.
The Conservation Council believes biodiversity in the region is being ignored, as Yellow Box Red Gum grassy woodlands and natural temperate grasslands to the north of the city go under the bulldozers.
Planners believe new urban developments such that in the Molonglo Valley offer the opportunity to investigate alternative forms of public transport, such as light rail or, preferably, an O-Bahn busway. O-Bahn buses, which are guided along a concrete track and can be switched into service on normal roads, have been operating in Adelaide since 1986. An O-Bahn bus system also allows the ACT to phase in clean, green hydrogen-powered public transport.
The public will have until mid-December to comment on the draft plan, with the final plan expected to be issued early next year.

Busnerd

Must you quote everything from 5 year old canberra times articles  ::)

Bus 400

Buzz Killington

One keen-eyed member from the Riot ACT has found an interesting little nugget of information buried in some plans for a temporary cycle path in Weston - the name of the new major arterial road through Molonglo..

John Gorton Drive

Map: http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/SITE-200913997-&_Locality-01.pdf
DA: http://203.9.249.2/e-registers/pubnote/pdf/APP-200913997-01.pdf

smitho

Quote from: Busnerd on January 02, 2008, 08:23:48 PM
Now we have to keep the darts to get a Wright dennis dart in Wright

But will it be called Coombs or just Coomb?

Are there any other suburbs with a and S on the end like that?
Nugget Coombs's name was spelt with an 'S' on the end, so if the suburb is supposed to be named after him, it will have to be "Coombs".
Other examples: Just in the Woden Valley alone, we have HugheS, TorrenS and LyonS.

CanberraTransport

When are we going to see Peter Leonard Lane? :P

Bus 400

We should be glad that nobody complained about the naming of the suburb of Wright. As an electorate in Queensland has also been proposed to be called Wright & some are objecting to it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/proposed-electorate-name-has-rapist-link/story-e6freuz0-1225754354249

Buzz Killington

Bit of a bump, but it seems that there is very little mention of Sulman other than the original press release

Andrew Barr, MLA, 2 January 2008
FIRST THREE SUBURBS OF MOLONGLO NAMED

Minister for Planning, Andrew Barr, today announced prominent Australians Judith Wright, Sir John Sulman and Dr H.C 'Nugget' Coombs will be honoured with the first three suburbs of Molonglo to be named after them.

Molonglo is located to the west of central Canberra, between Belconnen and Weston Creek. Up to 73,000 people are expected to live in about 33,000 homes in the area from about 2008-09 onwards.

"Molonglo, along with Gungahlin, is a priority for the Government and will increase Canberra's land supply and provide more affordable housing," Mr Barr said.

"The development is being planned to set a new standard in suburb design and development. It will achieve greater energy efficiency, higher water efficiency and quality, and better links to open spaces and transport. Houses will have minimum five-star energy ratings.

"It is a great pleasure to announce Wright, Sulman and Coombs will be the first suburb names in the new development."

SUBURB OF WRIGHT
Nominated for a Nobel Prize for Literature, Ms Judith Wright wrote on issues such as nature conservation and the rights of indigenous Australians. She fought to save the Great Barrier Reef from mining and oil drilling and to establish the Great Barrier Reef marine park. Ms Wright was a long-time resident of the Canberra region.

SUBURB OF SULMAN
Architect and town planner Sir John Sulman was Chairman of the Federal Capital Advisory Committee. Through this role, he was greatly involved in the early development of Canberra and influenced how it was built.

SUBURB OF COOMBS

Dr H.C 'Nugget' Coombs was one of Australia's most outstanding and influential public servants, serving and advising seven prime ministers over 30 years. He worked to achieve a distinctive social, economic and cultural place for all Australians, particularly Aboriginal Australians.

Mr Barr said planning for Molonglo would continue through to next year with the first land release expected in 2008-2009. Over time, names will be required for more than 12 suburbs in Molonglo.

Bus 400

Part of the new John Gorton Drive is now open (I am unsure how much of it at this present stage). The bit I saw was the new bridge was open & it was open when I went that way to Cooleman Court a few weeks back.

Buzz Killington

First batch of street names for Wright have been declared. List and map: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2011-85/current/pdf/2011-85.pdf

Who wants to live on Steve Irwin Avenue?

Sir Pompously

Got to Steve Irwin Avenue the other day. Turned around went straight back to John Gorton!

Was wondering about John Gorton Drive, As Cotter Road runs from Adelaide Ave, does John Gorton Drive start from Streeton Drive or the new set of lights at Cotter and John Gorton? It would be a bit strange to go from Cotter, to JG and then back to Cotter again. The signage says it continues, but I am not so sure about what they are doing with the weird double up on names (Giant gap between the two Cotter Roads).

Buzz Killington

I wondered the same thing. The placement of the John Gorton Drive pointing down Cotter Road towards the Parkway was very odd.

Nice to see the 'traditional' suburb signs in place for Wright and Coombs - something that none of the last five or six Gungahlin suburbs have.

The Love Guru

Quite possible that the road may adopt both names for that section. Has been known to happen in other cities, though normally both roads continue at each end of the shared name section. I assume John Gorton will terminate at Streeton/Cotter intersection if it even goes down the current Cotter Rd alignment.

Sir Pompously

It does happen in other Cities, but I can't really think of any roads in Canberra which do the same (So is out of the norm for the ACT). Other cities and towns usually have a Highway and then a local road name over the top (But the highway forms a route through the town or city). Will as ACT PLA and see what they are actually doing.

Barry Drive

Canberra Avenue / Manuka Circle springs to mind; can't think of any others.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Chris_Guru on December 27, 2011, 09:28:32 PM
Quite possible that the road may adopt both names for that section. Has been known to happen in other cities, though normally both roads continue at each end of the shared name section. I assume John Gorton will terminate at Streeton/Cotter intersection if it even goes down the current Cotter Rd alignment.

There's also a John Gorton Dr sign on what is/was Cotter Road. It's at the intersection with whatever depot that is about halfway between Streeton Dr and the new Cotter Rd/John Gorton traffic lights.

Bus 400

This should help to answer one question:
QuoteCotter Road will remain between the Tuggeranong Parkway and the new intersection (Intersection 1) Cotter Road and NSA arterial.
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/roads/construction_projects/north_south_arterial

Since the Cotter Dam bound Cotter Road is under control of the National Capital Authority* & while it could be renamed, there is the task of everyone on Cotter Road to change their name.

*Since Cotter Road is an approach road to Canberra, National Capital Authority have the final say on anything to do with Cotter Road.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on December 28, 2011, 09:33:48 PM
It's at the intersection with whatever depot that is about halfway between Streeton Dr and the new Cotter Rd/John Gorton traffic lights.

That's the ACT Parks/Environment ACT (whatever they call themselves now) depot.

Sir Pompously

Personally it would be much better to have the entire road from Adelaide Avenue through to Molonglo as John Gorton Drive, with Cotter Road starting from Wright/Coombs. They would have to change the signs, but it avoids having a split section of road.

Sir Pompously

Confirmation from the ACT Government that the section between Streeton and Cotter is supposed to be Cotter Road, JG Drive is supposed to start from the left turn of Cotter Road.

QuoteThank you for your enquiry dated 27 December 2011 concerning the extent of John Gorton Drive in Wright/Coombs.  The alignment of John Gorton Drive starts at the left turn of the Cotter Road as shown on the attached plan in Disallowable Instrument 2011-87.  The road will not split the Cotter Road into two separate roads, ie the section of road from Streeton Drive will remain as the Cotter Road.

Buzz Killington

Good thing you got those photos then

smitho

TAM's signage conventions and inconsistencies seem to create the kind of confusion evident with the Gorton Drive/Cotter Rd example.

Sir Pompously

Denman Prospect and Molonglo are the next two suburbs of Molonglo. Denman Prospect is named so as not to confuse this suburb with the town of Denman in New South Wales. Don't know why there would be confusion though, considering they each in a totally different state/territory.

smitho

Contruction of earthworks and stone retaining walls for the Molonglo Ponds in the Wright/Coombs precinct appeared near completion in late June, as did North Weston pond. These features are all clearly visible from Cotter Rd.

O'Connor/Dickson wetlands developments along Banksia Rd haVE also been completed recently.

Buzz Killington

John Gorton Drive now connects up to Uriarra Road.

Uriarra Rd is closed from the Bushfire Memorial (Peter Cullen Way?) to the new Uriarra/John Gorton intersection.

smitho

Quote from: smitho on July 18, 2012, 10:38:47 PM
Contruction of earthworks and stone retaining walls for the Molonglo Ponds in the Wright/Coombs precinct appeared near completion in late June, as did North Weston pond. These features are all clearly visible from Cotter Rd.

O'Connor/Dickson wetlands developments along Banksia Rd haVE also been completed recently.

Molonglo Ponds near Cotter Rd have been accumulating small amounts of water from run-off due to recent rains.

Buzz Killington

A map and street names for the first stage of Coombs has popped up on the Legislation Register site: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2013-28/current/pdf/2013-28.pdf

On another note, I asked Andrew Barr about Sulman on Twitter recently after he mentioned Denman Prospect and Molonglo, since I hadn't heard it mentioned since it was first announced. He said it would still go ahead, but not for another three years or so.

Bus 400

For those that haven't travelled along Coppins Crossing Road lately, well John Gorton Drive is close to the Molonglo River. This means that Coppins Crossing Road has to take a diverted road just past Coppins Crossing.

Also a land sale sign for Denman Prospect has gone on Coppins Crossing Road.

Buzz Killington

They're renaming the portion of Uriarra Road from Cotter Road to John Gorton Drive as Swallowtail Road.

There's also going to be a new road from Uriarra Road to John Gorton Drive that crosses over Coppins Crossing Road - Opperman Ave

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2013-196/current/pdf/2013-196.pdf

Bus 400

I wonder if the planned realignment of Uriarra Road is still going ahead with Opperman Avenue being so close to what was planned. Especially considering the Molonglo Pool was meant to fit in between a realigned Uriarra Road & Swallowtail  Road.

Also I did find the street names for Coombs http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2013-28/current/pdf/2013-28.pdf . Next thing is to actually open those roads.

smitho

Coombs school is being funded with a view to it opening in 2016.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Bus 400 on August 04, 2013, 09:30:48 PM
Also I did find the street names for Coombs. Next thing is to actually open those roads.
Looked at that today - the central road for Coombs will be Fred Daly Avenue (extension of Steve Irwin Avenue).

Bus 400

John Gorton Drive is now being used from the climb up after Coppins Crossing all the way to Streeton Drive/Cotter Road. With work on the two abutments in the early stages.

smitho

New service station intended for both Weston Ck and Molonglo communities is to be located on the Cotter Rd. Precise location is not known, but my guess is that it'll be on the westbound carriageway after the Tugg Parkway overpass.

A bit unusual being located on what will be a busy arterial road and nowhere near a local or group centre. Doesn't seem a very clever proposal.

Buzz Killington

I was under the impression that it would be located at the top of Kirkpatrick St and would have a fast food outlet attached.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on June 26, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
I was under the impression that it would be located at the top of Kirkpatrick St and would have a fast food outlet attached.

Yes, I'd heard of that site as well, but a recent newsletter to Curtin / Weston residents from ACTPLA (received last week) refers to it being on the Cotter Road.....may be they meant "accessed from the Cotter Rd".