Bike Racks On Buses

Started by Bus 400, May 20, 2008, 09:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus 400

As everyone knows, all of ACTION buses will eventually have bike racks. But how is ACTION going to make money if people who use bike racks get to ride for free?

Irisbus Rider

Because the percentage of ACTION patrons that use bike racks are 0.00000001%.

Bus 400

But that is because they only service the Intertown. But if all routes have bike racks, then more people can that their bike.
e.g.
Take bike with you on 162 to Albert Hall & ride to National Library.

Ed

Well, look on the bright side. You get a free fare when you use the racks.

Sir Pompously

Bike Racks are actually quite well used on the intertown, especially in peaks. These days I find atleast each Intertown service I take will have atleast one bike on it. The Intertown makes sense, ride to your local interchange, whack your bike on the bus and then ride to your destination from an Intertown stop or Interchange.

And TP3000, there are only two racks per bus. ACTION Makes no money anyway, and is fully subsidised by the Government. Who cares if it makes $6 (minimum) less per service because of a bike or two? I certainly don't and if taxes seem to magically rise because of it, I can say they will only rise for something else anyway. So why not milk it and try and get as many passengers as they can off the roads and onto the buses, I would say the increased patronage from other users (Especially in this day and age) outweighs the loss in money from the bike rack users anyway!

Sylvan Loves Buses

Noticed one of the Volgren qCity buses has a bike rack on it now... only 30 years too late lol.
I thought bikes racks on NSW buses was illegal, how'd they pull this off?

Toyota Camry

Bike racks have a lot in common with face masks on buses; once an oddity however now a permanent fixture. I am of the view that the light rail fleet should have been fitted with the same bike racks as the bus fleet; this would conserve space inside the vehicle.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on November 16, 2021, 07:43:52 PMNoticed one of the Volgren City buses has a bike rack on it now... only 30 years too late lol.
I thought bikes racks on NSW buses was illegal, how'd they pull this off?
ACTION hasn't had bike racks for 30 years. Closer to half of that.

And they are equally legal (or otherwise) in NSW as they are in ACT.

Quote from: Toyota Camry on November 16, 2021, 10:01:01 PMI am of the view that the light rail fleet should have been fitted with the same bike racks as the bus fleet;
How exactly do you load and unload them?

Stan butler

Quote from: Toyota Camry on November 16, 2021, 10:01:01 PMI am of the view that the light rail fleet should have been fitted with the same bike racks as the bus fleet; this would conserve space inside the vehicle.

This has to be a joke....... Right?? 

Snorzac

I think he's pretty serious....clearly putting people out in front of the tram to load and unload their bikes is perfectly safe

Toyota Camry

Quote from: Snorzac on November 17, 2021, 09:13:22 PMI think he's pretty serious....clearly putting people out in front of the tram to load and unload their bikes is perfectly safe
It is no different to loading and unloading at the front of a bus; it is actually safer than for buses, as the light rail drivers are seated in the centre of the vehicle and have a better view of passengers loading bikes, they are also separated from passengers and can provide greater concentration on monitoring the front of their LRV.

narc855

Notice that the bike rack is not in service, they may want to do some tests to see if it works.
ACT has a different condition compared to NSW and I am actually highy doubt that bikes will fit in racks in a 100kph zone...

triumph

Have never been in favour of bike racks, as presently implemented, on the front of buses. A collision with a pedestrian, cyclist or motor cyclist, all vulnerable road users, would not be pretty. Especially when deployed with bike(s) mounted.

Bonnet (solid, pointed, etc) ornaments, headlight shades, certain bull bar mountings, and the like have long been proscribed in the name of pedestrian safety, yet somehow bicycle pedals, handlebars, sharp mudguards, and the like, not to mention the rack itself, are suddenly safe for pedestrian impact! Illogical.

I have actually seen a pedestrian struck by a bus (low speed) and able to walk away. Had that bus had a bike rack there would certainly have been no walking away.

This is an example of how the bicycle lobby has been over successful in promoting cycling and capturing politicians.

Light rail does it much better with on-board spaces and a rather neat attachment point. On-board buses with present doors is too difficult but what is wrong with attaching bikes at the back with a camera to allow the driver to view? Much safer, including for the cyclist. (Does anyone remember when some bus operators required prams and strollers, obviously unloaded, to be hung on hooks outside at the rear?)

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on November 17, 2021, 06:14:54 PMACTION hasn't had bike racks for 30 years. Closer to half of that.

And they are equally legal (or otherwise) in NSW as they are in ACT.

I was exaggerating with the above.
If they're legal, then why have I always been told they're not? It's quite annoying being told one thing and then another, makes me look dumb when I'm having discussion. Such examples of when I was told that they were not legal are when bus400 was sent to Sydney for the Mardi Gras, or the discussion some time ago about a proposed TC Queanbeyan service.

Snorzac

So to run with a bike rack the bus must carry a valid permit, this permit sets out restrictions as to where the bus can travel with the bike rack attached. The permit that TC buses carry only allow use within the ACT, hence a bike rack is to be removed if the bus will enter NSW.

Sylvan Loves Buses

'Permit' was always the lacking piece, thank you for clearing that up.

Barry Drive

I've noticed that there is a new contract for supply of bike racks to Transport Canberra.

What's interesting is that the contract sets out the specifications to match a Sportworks 2-bicycle rack, but the contract does not state that the racks have to be Sportworks.

Anyway, the contract commences from Dec 2022 for a year, with an estimate that 50 to 100 racks will be required.

The contract was awarded to "Parts in Motion" from Melbourne. The previous contract to supply Sportworks racks was awarded to Gemilang.

Can't verify it, but it's likely that Parts in Motion are the new importer of Sportworks racks.