Perisher's Ageing Skitube

Started by Bus It, May 01, 2011, 07:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus It

For many years now, the Skitube has been providing quick and efficient transport for skiers and snowboarders in the snowy mountains. However since they spend three seasons of the year abandon and out in the open, they are starting to get really shabby looking. The Perspex that once started out clear, is now a frosty yellow that nobody could see out of. The trains are also starting to rust in many places, and generally look very tired. It is really heart breaking in a way that they have not made any shelter for them to be kept in, or that they don't park them in the tunnels that would also provide the same result.

Busnerd

Thanks for those pictures! I've never actually seen any photos of the Skitube before and had no idea what it looked like!

Buzz Killington

Couple of the ex-ACTION Mercedes' ended up at Perisher too - 645 and 669.

Volvo 395 ended up there too, although not directly from ACTION.

Bus It

Last year I managed to get 669 on three occasions, however 645 is permanently fitted with snow chains and rarely gets used. When I went up there last week, there was no sign of either of them, they are either being serviced of have been sold off :'(
I managed to get a rear photo of the buses that were up there.

ajw373

They still do the job and do it very well. All your talking about is purely cosmetics, so hardly any great need to worry or replace the things.

Bus It

Quote from: ajw373 on May 03, 2011, 06:35:50 PM
They still do the job and do it very well. All your talking about is purely cosmetics, so hardly any great need to worry or replace the things.
True, but they so easily could be kept in the tunnels where they are protected. Plus I don't think you can see it really well in the photo, but the Perspex windows are Very frosty and you can't see out of them at all. 8)

ajw373

Quote from: Bus It on May 03, 2011, 06:47:27 PM
True, but they so easily could be kept in the tunnels where they are protected. Plus I don't think you can see it really well in the photo, but the Perspex windows are Very frosty and you can't see out of them at all. 8)

And what benefit would there be to keep then in the tunnels? They would still work the same which for this kind of transport system is ALL that matters. Also if I am not mistaken service is provided year round so if the trains were in the tunnels how would ones in service get past?. As for the windows, considering most of the run is in tunnels again I don't think anyone other than transport enthusiasts would be overly concerned by them being frosted.

Bus It

Quote from: ajw373 on May 03, 2011, 06:55:14 PM
And what benefit would there be to keep then in the tunnels? They would still work the same which for this kind of transport system is ALL that matters. Also if I am not mistaken service is provided year round so if the trains were in the tunnels how would ones in service get past?. As for the windows, considering most of the run is in tunnels again I don't think anyone other than transport enthusiasts would be overly concerned by them being frosted.
They used to run the Skitube all year round, however due to lack of support in the non-ski season times, it now operates ONLY in the winter months. The benefit of keeping them in the tunnels are pretty obvious, and I'm fairly sure that there would be enough under ground platforms to accommodate all trains >:D

Bus 400

Could one of the reason's for leaving the trains out when not in use is to deter vandals?

Bus It

Quote from: Bus 400 on May 03, 2011, 08:39:15 PM
Could one of the reason's for leaving the trains out when not in use is to deter vandals?
Not really, if anything they would be safer if they kept them in the tunnels as the security in the terminus is a lot better than out in the open.  ;)

Simes

Quote from: Bus It on May 02, 2011, 06:06:21 PM
Last year I managed to get 669 on three occasions, however 645 is permanently fitted with snow chains and rarely gets used. When I went up there last week, there was no sign of either of them, they are either being serviced of have been sold off :'(
I managed to get a rear photo of the buses that were up there.

Nice to see one of the last mk2's in service living on, that one was 2487 (rta rego checker makes fleetlists easy -now ;) ) looks like the Canberra mercs may have gone, or at least re registered

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2090
   http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2089