Bronwyn Hatesad's Supermarket Thread

Started by Sir Pompously, July 07, 2008, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

This sign is still floating about in Gowrie, does anyone remember this company? I sure know I do, as Monash Shops cheanged between Shoprite and Foodtown constantly.

Also for those who would like to know, Monash IGA Everyday has closed down. I sent an email to IGA who said there were no plans to re-open an IGA in Monash. However I have heard that this will become a Shoprite.

Busnerd

Ha ha, I guess you can reverse progress in Monash's case.

bubzie

Pfft, monash has been closed for like three weeks. ha.

(closed on the 16th of june, to be exact. dont ask how i know this stuff :P)

Trolleybusracer

lol Foodtown!

I love foodtown back in NZ , which is Owend by Woolies  ;D

Sir Pompously

I know Bubzie, but I have not had the need to start a thread about supermarkets. So thought I would add it into this one.

Buzz Killington

initiallly all stores were shop rite. When IGA took over, the small stores were renamed Foodtown (such as Kambah, Monash), medium stores were renamed Welcome Mart (Isaacs, you can still see the sign on the wall that faces Julia Flynn Av) and the supermarket size stores were renamed Festival. IGA then saw common sense in naming all the stores "IGA" and did so.

Shop-Rite came back about when local shop owners had the shits with IGA and decided to change suppliers (and hence, had to change their name). Their new supplier sent goods to the stores from their warehouse in Queensland, which the shop rite owners quickly discovered to be quite problematic. Given that the IGA distribution warehouse is in NSW, they switched back to IGA (except one store i think?)

So there you go.

Buzz Killington

saw on win news tonight that supabarn karabar has been sold to an IGA operator.

For those who dont know, Supabarn Karabar was an independent not owned by the people who own Wanniassa, City and Kaleen. Apparently those owners took Karabar's owners to court, for breaking an agreement to sell the store to them.

The store will be renovated and expanded, and will become a Supa IGA. It's the last supabarn to have the old yellow/green supabarn look with the shield logo (unless the other independents in west wyalong and lake cargelligo still have it)

bubzie

Kippax woolies now has self serve registers.

..quite interesting things they are!!

(seriously, i payed for something with coins, and every time i inserted one, it'd tell me to insert more money. arrgh. I got your point the first time.)

Buzz Killington

they really should have an option to mute those bloody things, the ones at big w shit me

"34 dollars... 2 dollars.. savings... swipe your card....select your account...enter your pin... press enter...."

there's a guy that works at tuggers woolies petrol who actually says all that - talk about annoying. Plus,  I went in there lastweek and he said "happy bastille day!"

if i wasnt at the end of a long day and in a bad mood, i would've said "au revoir" but his enthusiasm annoyed me so i just went "pfffft" and left..

Buzz Killington

Sir Pompously

Signs have gone up at Monash for the ShopRite. And I so used the Kippax Self Serve Kiosks. I got out in about 5 seconds while the other people there took ages, its not hard when you do it a few times you just tap past everything.

Busnerd

they arent KIOSKS todd, they are just self serve registers, they aren't shops located in the centre of a shopping centre selling cheap sunglasses.

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Charles Logan on July 21, 2008, 07:46:10 PM
saw on win news tonight that supabarn karabar has been sold to an IGA operator.

For those who dont know, Supabarn Karabar was an independent not owned by the people who own Wanniassa, City and Kaleen. Apparently those owners took Karabar's owners to court, for breaking an agreement to sell the store to them.

The store will be renovated and expanded, and will become a Supa IGA. It's the last supabarn to have the old yellow/green supabarn look with the shield logo (unless the other independents in west wyalong and lake cargelligo still have it)
2CC reported on that exclusively on Tuesday. Ha, WIN are soooo slow :P

But yeah, Woolies wanted it, but the ACCC squashed their appeal. For the first time.......ever, the ACCC actually opposed something.

Oh, and the Kippax self serve registers are good, I even taught my mum to learn to use one :P

Busnerd

I just used self serve for the third time at The Pines/Stockland Safeway and purchase optus credit also.

lukeo25

i always the self serve at big W in woden, civic and Gungahlin (yes i sometimes gunzel to Gungahlin for the sake of it)

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Busnerd on July 22, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
I just used self serve for the third time at The Pines/Stockland Safeway and purchase optus credit also.
The Pines? Where the hell is that? Is it near Kellyville somewhere, or more near Cecil Park? It's not familiar to an ex Sydney-sighter.

Buzz Killington

Safeway is only in victoria, RR

Irisbus Rider

Oh, of course. He's down there. Oops.

Speaking of Safeway, I saw a lone Safeway trolley sitting in the Kippax Carpark. Now, how does a trolley make it's way from Victoria to Canberra?!

Trolleybusracer

Oscar must be up there.... he decided to park his "car" in Kippax to go see bizaro bubzie and the bus driver reading the street directory  ;D

Busnerd

Sir Pompously

bubzie

their hats! hahahaha!

(no, seriously, wow, they've changed..thank god.)

Buzz Killington

The People's Chip is now on sale at Woolies - Conder has a heap. $1.99 for a 100g bag.

Snorzac

I didn't think that the People's chip was for commercial sale but my mini mod day buspedition looks like it is heading for conder

Irisbus Rider

Buzz Killington

bubzie

Quote from: macca on August 08, 2008, 07:26:16 PM
I didn't think that the People's chip was for commercial travel but my mini mod day buspedition looks like it is heading for conder

im positively sure they're availiable in many more woolworths throughout the act, not just conder.

i'll check mawson on sunday :)

Snorzac

Quote from: Renault Rider on August 08, 2008, 07:46:44 PM
Peoples chip?

I can't believe that you have never heard of the peoples chip. they gave away 3000 or so packets in the ACT which were all gone after 1 hour. I was lucky enough to get one bag and the tasted really good. I will be stocking up as they are only on sale for 2 weeks.

Buzz Killington

i didnt line up that day, but one of my coworkers did, so i had a coule of handfulls. I bought two packs last night.

bubzie

i did, and got three packets of them!!

one which is still in my school locker!! :D

Buzz Killington

oh and in response to bubzie's earlier post, they are obviously at all woolies stores. i was just saying that i personally bought them at conder.

Snorzac

I will be getting atleast 3 packets when I get near a woolies

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Renault PR100.3 on August 09, 2008, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: Renault Rider on August 08, 2008, 07:46:44 PM
Peoples chip?

I can't believe that you have never heard of the peoples chip. they gave away 3000 or so packets in the ACT which were all gone after 1 hour. I was lucky enough to get one bag and the tasted really good. I will be stocking up as they are only on sale for 2 weeks.
I'm usually a bit slow on the uptake, lol, especially if it's not broadcast on 2CA.

Although, I am currently enthused.

Busnerd

I bought another pack at Earlwood Coles yesterday...

Also in other news, another Spar has opened up in place of an IGA in Marrickville, so thats two Spars I know now of, I still have to get around to visiting the only remaining Flemings in Bexley North!

Snorzac

All the Gravy chips are sold out in Canberra I believe

bubzie

yeah, funnily enough, that's because they were only on sale for two weeks (ending on the ...22nd?)

and i heard they ran out pretty much in the first week...

Trolleybusracer

Busnerd

coles are now selling them up here an petrol stations are now selling them (for $3) but most supermarkets, even Kmarts have full stock of them

Buzz Killington

According to the Canberra times, Supabarn have bought a block of land in Kingston and are awaiting approval to build a new store there, while Aldi are keen on Kingston, Dickson, Chisholm, Wanniassa, Kambah and Charnwood - in addition to opening in Weston next year.

Snorzac

Quote from: Trolleybusracer on August 25, 2008, 04:42:49 PM
Still on sale here  ;D

They were selling the gravy chips at the raider match the other day for $3.70 a bag

Busnerd

they arent  bags they are packets, you dont wear the chip packet on your back and carry warm clothes in it do you? It is a pack not a bag.

Just like referring to the seat in a bus as a chair, a chair is different to a seat!

Irisbus Rider

Woo! An Aldi in Charnwood! Excellent!

Sir Pompously

No, not more Aldi's. The only thing I ever went into Aldi for were the Goldbear Gummi Bears, in their German packaging. However, the packets are now in English so Aldi can go to hell :P

Sir Pompously

And if anyone wants to know, Shoprite Monash opened at the very end of last month. Not a bad store, very different from what it used to be however more modern.

Irisbus Rider

Sorry to revive an old thread, but;
Quote from: Busnerd on August 13, 2008, 10:37:35 AMI still have to get around to visiting the only remaining Flemings in Bexley North!
I think not!
Whilst cruising around Pendle Hill yesterday (don't ask what I was doing there lol), I saw this, and simply had to pull over, and get these snaps. I was enthused!

Woo, Home Brand!

Now open Sundays!
The damn bus (that's the only time I'd ever curse a bus; when it gets in the way of a Flemings!) sat there for 10 mins, and I was already in a hurry as it was :(
And I have also been informed there is another Flemings in Jannalli.

bubzie

Erindale woolies now has self serve checkouts.

And for that matter, the new logo on their trolleys.

Hurrah! No more driving out to kippax to use such...luxury? *cough*

Sir Pompously

Yes, I went into Erindale a few days ago and they were still closed off. Went in tonight only to find it closed due to refurbishment, much to my disgust.

Also, one which seems to have slipped through the cracks is Cost Co will be opening in Melbourne and Sydney. Finally, a Big Box Supercentre we can rely on!

Barry Drive

Quote from: bubzie on November 21, 2008, 10:34:25 PM
Erindale woolies now has self serve checkouts.
Is it only Erindale and Kippax that has them (locally)? It really annoys me that Belconnen doesn't have self-serve. They have 8 express (?) checkouts but whenever I go there only 2 are open.

bubzie

yeah, i belive so.

any new store that's getting renovated with the 2020 shit should now get them, along with the new logo and such

ARRGH! I HAVE GOT TO STOP TALKING WOOLIES!! :)