Magnet Mart Gungahlin to become a Masters

Started by ajw373, April 01, 2012, 04:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajw373

Not totally unexpected, but it seems as if Magnet Mart at Gunghalin is to become a masters. Was out there today and saw a DA notice which it turns out is for alterations to the signage and colours.

http://apps.actpla.act.gov.au/pubnote/pubnoteDetail_new.asp?DA_no=201221067

Bus 400

I wonder if the owners name will be changed from Blue Mountains Hardware* to Masters/Woolworth's?

I just feel sorry for the workers there who will have to sing the Masters theme song at the start of each day.

*If anyone has ever used credit card/EFTPOS when purchasing something from here you will notice this name come up on your statement.

ajw373

It's a long time since this DA was in the system but no sign of any work rebranding Magnet Mart. Wonder if they have had second thoughts?

ajw373

Went to the Magnet Mart website lastnight to see what their opening hours are and it seems as if soon they will be changing name to Home Timber and Hardware. Over the Magnet mart logo there is a home hardware logo with the words "we're almost... Home Timer and Hardware."

Will be interesting to see if this is when Gunhalin changes to Masters, or if they have changed thier mind and will rebrand has Home Hardware along with the other stores.

Buzz Killington

Was only a matter of time before they rebranded the smaller stores, but will be interesting to see what they do with Gungahlin, considering it's a store that wasn't built to Masters specifications.

Good thing Magnet Mart Man has a dayjob..

ajw373

I can answer that question. Gungahlin is becoming Home Hardware too. Was out there today and all the staff have Home Hardware uniforms and they have replaced the overhead signage in the timber yard with Home Hardware coloured signs. The sign out the back on Gundaroo Drive has a banner similar to the one on their website saying "We're almost Home". So clearly and quite sensibly they have given up on rebanding it as Masters. Frankly the layout just wouldn't have worked and probably wouldn't have been big enough for Masters, so making it Home, provided they keep the same product range is not so bad, but sad to loose another iconic Canberra brand.

Buzz Killington

Bit of a shame they recently canned those two claymation dogs in their advertisements. They'd been around for as long as I can remember..

Bus 400

The Phillip store has that same signage, with the "Start Smart" below that same "Home Timber...We're Almost..." stuff.

Busnerd

So did the buy out Home Hardware or did they sell out to them?

Buzz Killington

The stores will be branded as 'Magnet Mart Home Timber and Hardware'. The Magnet Mart logo will disappear though - will just have 'Magnet Mart' in white text above the Home logo.

ajw373

Quote from: Busnerd on March 17, 2013, 10:48:21 AM
So did the buy out Home Hardware or did they sell out to them?
Not quite sure what you are asking.

But anyway, Woolworths brought out Danks in partnership with Lowes circa early 2010. Danks owns several brands one of which is Home timber and hardware. I say they own the brand because they don't own many actual stores, most being independent with Danks being the supplier and owner of the brand. Danks also supplies Masters which is also owned by Woolworths and Lowes but they are seperate from Masters and clearly don't own the brand like they do with Home, Thrifty Link etc.

Paul Donaghue the then owner of Magnet Mart sold the stores to Danks late in 2010, with the rebranding taking place now. They will be one of the few Home Hardware stores to actually be owned by Danks.

Busnerd

Thanks, you explained what I was asking.

smitho

CT today has an item on 'the Magnet Mart man'...says he has been living in London for a while, but used to return to Australia to do the MM adverts as required.

Barry Drive

Don't know if it's related to Masters or just the appearance of Bunnings next door: saw a sign today outside MM Gungahlin - Closing Down Sale 40% off.

Buzz Killington

Gungahlin (and from memory, one other store) were excluded from the sale of Home to Metcash, at their request. Can't blame them when Bunnings opened literally next door.

Bus 400

Gungahlin & Launceston are the 2 not sold, being the 2 loss making stores. Plus the distribution centre in Dandenong is also not sold.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk