Renault artic withdrawals

Started by smitho, July 06, 2012, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

This may be a false alarm, but for several days Bus 700 has been parked on eastern edge of Tuggy bricks (facing north), the usual location where prospective retirees spend their last days @ Tugg Depot.

It has not been in service since 29 June 12.

From a quick inspection, none of the obvious 'hot' items had been removed as at 1800 today. Repeat: This may be a false alarm.

Buzz Killington

False alarm. I rode on 700 today.

Bus 400

That's good to hear, as Bus 701 was sitting next to Bus 700 on the weekend.

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on July 10, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
False alarm. I rode on 700 today.

On Monday, I noticed the reason why 700 had been grounded for so long - the concertina had been damaged, pulled away from the frame it fits in.

Barry Drive

Another false alarm? 726 is parked at the back of B depot workshops - ticket equipment removed, but Motorola still installed.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on July 11, 2012, 10:08:59 PM
Another false alarm? 726 is parked at the back of B depot workshops - ticket equipment removed, but Motorola still installed.

Let's hope it is a temporary grounding as 726 is 'a good one'.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on July 11, 2012, 10:08:59 PM

726 was back at Tuggy today; apparently Belco Workshop fitted a new diff to it, and it should be back in service tomorrow.

The Love Guru

Until driver training with bus 506 is complete i would be extremely surprised if any artics are withdrawn. Even after the new artics enter service, i'm sure there will be a period where we have additional artics in the fleet than present to ensure availability during the teething period for the new Scanias. If the 14.5s are anything to go by, the teething period could be quite prolonged and deal with some major design flaws.

Barry Drive

Less likely to be a false alarm this time: a Mk1 artic is parked at Woden Depot (as mentioned on twitter by @actbus). No details yet as to which one.

The Love Guru

Buzz Killington

It didn't appear to have the no smoking stickers which rules out 700 and 704.

ACTbusspotter says either 708 or 720. With 506 in service, it could be either. 720 could have been taken out on mechanical grounds and 708 sent to T to replace it. Or 720 is at B for repairs and 708 has been withdrawn.

Buzz Killington

Bus 400 has confirmed its 720 at Woden.

708 not at Belconnen and may have been sent to Tuggeranong to replace 720, as 506 is now in service.

987 at Belconnen for repairs

Barry Drive

708 transfer not confirmed yet. It wasn't evident at Belconnen, but it could have been in the workshops. The other possible candidate for transfer is 985. (I assumed it was there, but maybe what I saw was 987.)

UPDATE: 708 & 985 still at B depot. No transfers have occurred yet.

King of Buses

720 is at Woden in SNT shed. Still has My Way equip though.

smitho

Training for workshops staff on the new Scania artics was scheduled for this week; being conducted by the Scania organisation.

smitho

724 despatched from Tuggy Depot under tow at around 1030am today, apparently headed for Belco Depot. This bus has some issues.

Meanwhile @ Woden Depot, 720 was stripped of ACTION logos, bus numbers etc towards the end of last week.

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on September 25, 2012, 12:18:50 PM
724 despatched from Tuggy Depot under tow at around 1030am today, apparently headed for Belco Depot. This bus has some issues.

Meanwhile @ Woden Depot, 720 was stripped of ACTION logos, bus numbers etc towards the end of last week.

Bus 724 was on the 788  this mornin'. Yes, it does have issues considering it has some stitch-up work a few years back...

Buzz Killington

There was a bus breakdown on the Monaro this morning. Perhaps that was 724?

710 was sounding a bit rough when I caught it last week.

Presumably the artics are all marked for sale rather than scrap.

smitho

Not sure where 724 came to grief.

As I understand it, the artics will be sold through a tender process rather than outright sale.

Can't say I've driven 710 for a while, but overall, the Tuggy Mark 1 artics seem to be in pretty good mechanical condition, (certainly compared with several years ago) and they're generally a pleasure to drive.

In fact one of the oldest (702) is one of my favourites at present.

King of Buses

710 sounded relatively normal this morning when I had it.
But I hope they don't withdraw 725 or 719. they're are both really good in my opinion.

Barry Drive

Yes, 724 was doing a 788 when it broke down. Was at Belconnen Depot last night - ticket equipment had been removed, so it might be the next candidate for withdrawal/scrapping.

Quote from: King of Buses on September 26, 2012, 01:40:41 PM
But I hope they don't withdraw 725 or 719. they're are both really good in my opinion.
They will ALL be withdrawn in the next 12 months or sooner anyway.

CNG

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on September 26, 2012, 01:55:37 PM
Yes, 724 was doing a 788 when it broke down. Was at Belconnen Depot last night - ticket equipment had been removed, so it might be the next candidate for withdrawal/scrapping.
They will ALL be withdrawn in the next 12 months or sooner anyway.

even the mk2's?

Buzz Killington

They've ordered the replacements for the Mk2's - we're just waiting on a delivery schedule for them

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on September 26, 2012, 09:54:53 PM
They've ordered the replacements for the Mk2's - we're just waiting on a delivery schedule for them

I don't think that it should be assumed that the Mark 2's would all necessarily be retired AFTER the Mark 1's.

The artics are like the proverbial axe....I understand that bits of them have been replaced/upgraded so often over so many years - including very recently - that the nominal age of each of them is not necessarily a very good guide as to their individual future longevity with ACTION.

Suspect that we might see some Renault artics around for a bit longer than the 12 month replacement program could imply.

On the other hand, if ACTION's patronage levels implode in the event of Federal Government staff cutbacks (as occurred in the mid 70s and late 1980s), then things could look very different.

Barry Drive

Safe to say that 724 won't be re-entering service. In which case it will most likely be stripped for parts. So far it hasn't moved from where it was towed to last week.

smitho

Quote from: ACTbusspotter on October 03, 2012, 10:17:18 PM
Safe to say that 724 won't be re-entering service. In which case it will most likely be stripped for parts. So far it hasn't moved from where it was towed to last week.

Any word on what the issue is with 724?

smitho

Quote from: smitho on September 27, 2012, 12:55:04 AM

On the other hand, if ACTION's patronage levels implode in the event of Federal Government staff cutbacks (as occurred in the mid 70s and late 1980s), then things could look very different.

Meant to say 'mid 1970s and late 1990s' as a result of significant Razor Gang cuts to Australian Public Service staffing levels by the Fraser and Howard governments respectively.

smitho

An option floated is for 724 and another Renault artic to be combined to make a single workable unit.

Bus 400

Well I have seen the fleet numbers are missing from the trailer of 724 (& have been informed the numbers are missing from everywhere). Now I hope the trailer is used, then the trailer would of been on 3 buses.

Buzz Killington

perthbus

Can you guys please keep us updated with the arctic withdrawals as the company I work for is looking to source some....ADAMS in WA, we already have a sizeable fleet of ex Action Reno rigids which are all impressive units far superior than ex Transperth stuff.

Bus 400

Buzz Killington

These days they wouldn't do something like that just because they can - they would do it if it was necessary. With the new artics ready to roll, there probably is not a need to spend time and money stitching up two of the old artics when they are withdrawing them when a new one enters service.

Bus 400

But when it comes to selling them to someone like Adams. You would get more bang for your buck by making a 1 good bus out of 2 bad buses. Rather then just scrapping 2 buses.

Barry Drive

Quote from: perthbus on October 07, 2012, 07:02:39 PM
Can you guys please keep us updated with the arctic withdrawals as the company I work for is looking to source some....ADAMS in WA, we already have a sizeable fleet of ex Action Reno rigids which are all impressive units far superior than ex Transperth stuff.
ACTION have stated (on thier website) that they expect to offer buses for sale by tender towards the end of this year. But I would suggest that the first buses to be withdrawn from service are the ones best avoided. If you can wait until mid 2013, you might get the better buses.

Keep a watch on this topic - quite sure that all artic withdrawals will be documented here.

Bus 400

An artic has been transferred to Woden Depot. Going by no fleet numbers on the trailer, it is Bus 724.

The Love Guru

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 08, 2012, 12:27:25 PM
But when it comes to selling them to someone like Adams. You would get more bang for your buck by making a 1 good bus out of 2 bad buses. Rather then just scrapping 2 buses.

If ACTION want 'bang for bucks' they will tear them down for parts. They are worth a lot more in pieces than they are as a whole bus. Until the entire fleet is replaced it wouldn't make a lot of sense to sell decent buses as they are the best candidate for parts.

belcodriver

Quote from: Bus 400 on October 07, 2012, 09:30:38 PM
Because they can.

It would also be a good learning experience for apprentices.

Barry Drive

There are now two withdrawn artics parked behind Belconnen workshops: 704 & 705.

Bus 400

Bus 704 was transferred to Woden Depot this week.

Bus 400

Bus 705 had been transferred to Woden. Buses 704 & 705 are now de-ACTIONised & unregistered.

Bus 400

Bus 706 has been transferred to Woden.

perthbus

Think you'll find these 2 mentioned (704 and 705) suffered major component failure.

Bus 400

That would explain 705's nice sizeable leak from near the middle at Woden Depot.

Barry Drive

Quote from: perthbus on November 11, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
Think you'll find these 2 mentioned (704 and 705) suffered major component failure.
Not sure what your source is: I can believe it for 720 & 724 (the first two withdrawals), but not 704 & 705.

Buzz Killington

I'd agree with that. 704/705 withdrawn as the oldest units in Belconnen Depot. 720/724 far from the oldest at Tuggeranong and 724 had a breakdown and never went back into service.

smitho

Ex-Belco 988 was receiving heaps of tender loving care from detailers at Tuggy Depot today - a major job to get it up to an acceptable standard apparently.

King of Buses

Quote from: smitho on November 28, 2012, 10:18:55 PM
Ex-Belco 988 was receiving heaps of tender loving care from detailers at Tuggy Depot today - a major job to get it up to an acceptable standard apparently.

Thats nice, 988 is a good bus. Probably the best MKII in my opinion.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: smitho on November 28, 2012, 10:18:55 PM

Still needs more work I think. The trailer in particular was looking a bit ratty when I caught it during the week. Was really struggling with the heat too. Very slow off the mark.

The Love Guru