[STA] Faulty steering rods strand commuters - Tried to get buses from ACTION

Started by Sir Pompously, December 12, 2007, 10:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Pompously

QuoteFaulty steering rods strand commuters

Peter Rowley with the steering relay rod.

Photo: Bob Pearce

Linton Besser Transport Reporter
December 12, 2007

THE State Government could bear the cost of a huge parts replacement program that has begun on 300 of its newest buses, after a mechanical failure forced two-thirds of its gas-powered fleet off the roads.

Yesterday 320 services were cancelled across Sydney, stranding thousands of commuters across the city for up to one hour - and morning peak period delays are set to continue for at least the next nine days.

The transport crisis emerged on Thursday night when the steering failed on one of the gas-powered buses as it was being moved out of its parking spot at the Ryde depot. An inspection showed the steering rod had snapped in half.

That night inspectors found 17 other buses with steering relay rods that were cracked. By Monday night 200 buses were sidelined because hairline fractures were found in the same parts, and a decision was taken to replace the rod across the entire fleet of 300 buses.

The acting head of State Transit, Peter Rowley, said the buses found to have a hairline fracture were off the road indefinitely while Mercedes-Benz identified the reason for the fault, and obtained replacement parts.

So far only 20 of the buses have had the rod replaced, and it will be at least several weeks before the remaining parts are obtained.

In the meantime, he said he was trying to get replacement buses from the private sector, as well as from Action Buses in Canberra, to cover the gaps between now and Christmas.

But the Government is unlikely to find more than 50 replacement buses on such short notice, and the general manager of Action Buses, Tom Elliott, said it would not send any to Sydney.

And there remains a question over who will pay the costs of the expensive replacement program. Mr Rowley told reporters yesterday that Mercedes-Benz, or its parent, DaimlerChrysler, would pay all costs because an independent expert verified it was a "probable design fault".

However, Ken Matthews, the managing director of Mercedes-Benz Australia Pacific, said it was too early to say. "For the last 48 hours, who pays the bill is not something I have focused on ? that has to be worked out down the line."

"We are very apologetic for the delays we've been experiencing," Mr Rowley said. "[But] we will not compromise on passenger safety."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/faulty-steering-rods-strand-commuters/2007/12/11/1197135463523.html

Jack Bauer

How embarrassing for ACTION, to be in the situation where you can't help a mate like that  :o

STA: "Mate, we need some buses. We're desperate...we'd even take some of your Darts!"
ACTION: "Sorry mate, but we need all of our buses to operate this shit of a Network."

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Todd Milton on December 12, 2007, 10:25:28 PM
QuoteKen Matthews
:o

Seriously, this is a big issue, but with these buses already supposed to be off the roads and back in Germany, it's no suprise. Also, it's weight may be as a result of this too, these buses are notorious for having horrible body roll, and the heaviest part of the bus is on the front wheels, making them harder to steer, probably one of the contributing reasons.

Shame though, they're great buses.

Busnerd

stupid ACTION, i would've loved for some scanias or something to be running around up there :P

Maybe theyd've come back good  ::)

Sir Pompously

Nah, they would've come back with a faulty steering rod or a roof ready to implode.... OH wait, thats just Mercedes! ACTION Can't spare any at the moment, people would be screaming bloody murder if services in Canberra had to be cut (And I mean any services) beacause some buses were sent to Sydney.

Constantly Leighking

Quote from: Busnerd on December 12, 2007, 11:09:52 PM
stupid ACTION, i would've loved for some scanias or something to be running around up there :P

The only good gas Scanias are L113CRB ones... You're not getting any 8) :P

As for the gas O405NHs there was bound to be problems with putting an O405N2 front end on a standard O405 back... what has probably contributed to this problem is that the O405NHs at STA were fitted with harder front suspension, and with the ammount of weight over the front + the body roll its most likely caused things to buckle under pressure, could have been a factor in the frame crackings as well...

Sir Pompously

Lol, wouldn't be suprised. And we don't want any L113CRB's, we have our L94UB's which are a fun ride goingup hills with speed humps :P

Bus 400

ACTION could of offered some busses to Sydney. As it is almost the end of the school year & most private schools have finished anyway. So those few busses could be sent up to Sydney. This could of also given ACTION a bit extra money. As didn't ACTION provide Sydney with extra busses back during the Olmpics? That was during the school holidays wasn't it? & we had less busses (I think).

Sir Pompously

ACTION provided ORTA (Olympic RTA) with PR100.2's. I remember seeing one at the Olympics, and also 815 816 or 817 used to have an ORTA Sticker (With Syd, Millie and Olly) and a Bus, Train and Ferry transport sticker. The ORTA ones had to be removed before service, the other one stayed in there for years. Other buses also had them, but were removed quicker. If you look at peak hour, our depot is streatched. Imagine sending buses up to Sydney and then having a hideous week of breakdowns (Which does happen) and no spare buses? Its best to leave them here, and that way the media here in Canberra won't kick up a stink. I can imagine the headlines now 'ACTION Sends buses to Sydney, Yet we still have a shoddy bus network' etc.

Busnerd

Quote from: Constantly Leighking on December 12, 2007, 11:16:00 PM
Quote from: Busnerd on December 12, 2007, 11:09:52 PM

The only good gas Scanias are L113CRB ones... You're not getting any 8) :P

As for the gas O405NHs there was bound to be problems with putting an O405N2 front end on a standard O405 back... what has probably contributed to this problem is that the O405NHs at STA were fitted with harder front suspension, and with the ammount of weight over the front + the body roll its most likely caused things to buckle under pressure, could have been a factor in the frame crackings as well...

Not to mention when they ordered them they requested the stongest (therefore heaviest) gas cylinders be used, which apparently was against the advice of Mercedes.

Jack Bauer

Ken Matthew eh, I wonder if it's the same one who used to be Secretary of the Department of Transport and Regional Services?