Canberra Railways Tour-December 18

Started by Snorzac, September 24, 2011, 08:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which bus?

Snorzac

When: Sunday December 18 2011
Where: Pick up Belconnen Community Bus Station Platform 3 and City Bus Station  Platform 10
Cost:
**A fee of $ ??? will be required to cover hire costs
**Entry fee for Rail Heritage Museum ($8 adults, $5 Child (under 18) and Pensioners)
Rough Plan:
10:30 Belconnen Pick up
10:45 City Pick Up
11:05 Queanbeyan Railway Station Photo stop
11:40 Bungendore Railway Station Photo stop
12:10 Tarago photo stop
13:00 Goulburn for lunch
14:00 Tour and free time at the Rail Heritage Museum at Goulburn
15.30 Leave for Home
16:10 Gunning Railway Station Photo Stop
16:50 Gundaroo
17:30 Arrive City
17:45 Arrive Belconnen

Note: Payment will be taken before departing the City Bus Interchange, if you do not pay here you well be asked to leave the tour before departure.

route56

I'll check my diary, but i should be available.

Route suggestion - main street QBN. Then stop at the bus stops just off the main street near the enormously large and extremely well patronised QBN Centrelink office.  :o

lukeo25

I will be coming like always, my dad will probably again, he liked the last one a lot, a few ideas for locations
> Googong  Dam
> Royalla Station
> Farrer Terminus (served by 23/24 weekdays only)
> Torrens Terminus
> Oaks Estate

King of Buses

I should be coming along with my Grandfather again.
More Route suggestions.

• Kaleen Terminus
  • Watson Terminus
  • Canberra Airport
  • Oaks Estate Terminus
  • Chartersville Ave, Conder (Old Route 18)
  • Kambah Terminus, Jenke Cct
  • Gleneagles
  • Pialligo (The School Bus stops)
  • Chapman and Duffy Terminii

I do like the idea of Queanbeyan.
Possibly we could also stop at those bunkers on Canberra Ave near Harman. (I think route56 will like that for his book :))
[/list]

lukeo25

And the other "unique" shelter on narrabundah lane

Buzz Killington

Metrobus jumped the gun a bit on the announcement, but the site staff have been discussing the next tour for a little while now and it will be a Rail Themed Tour.

Any suggestions on local railway sights are welcomed and we'll do our best to factor them into the planning.

lukeo25

I know of some rails in some undergrowth in the causeway. Royala station, railway museum

King of Buses

Is it possible to include the old Tuggereanong Station?

The Love Guru

No it wont be as it would an hour or so to the day and that is time that we do not have available.

p_stampy

naw, have fun.

I'll miss this one too (away in victoria, not *just after* having  baby or whatever was up last time).

Buzz Killington

Two weeks to go - please let us know if you plan to attend.

Bus 400

Buzz Killington

I've also created an event on the ACT Bus Facebook page.

Sir Pompously

At this stage I will be a no as I am working, but I will see what I can do with work.

route56

Im coming.

King of Buses - make sure you bring a bag that can hold something roughly A4 size, but made of steel and painted yellow...

lukeo25

I'm coming along as always this time with my dad again. Since its a rail themed tour i'll bring along a lot of british timetables/maps etc :D

The Love Guru

Due to family circumstance the tour will postponed until further notice.

I am sorry to all that were looking forward to the tour. 670 also needs a fair bit of work done to her as she is due for a rego inspection. It is unclear as to whether i will be able to keep her going.

If anyone would like more information please PM me.

Snorzac

The team are currently putting the final preparations into planning this tour using a hired ACTION bus. The new date is set as December 18 2011. Pick up times and locations are in the first post of this thread and an announcement of our chariot for the day will be made next week.

route56

Snorzac

lukeo25

Buzz Killington

Speaking of which, was on an Iris just yesterday that almost died. Mid-20's and they're already struggling..

Snorzac

baha, lol. At this stage we are looking at a range of vehicle options, the two aformentioned vehicle classes are the only two we aren't considering.

Snorzac

It will probably be withdrawn by then.

Barry Drive

That's doubtful. Next withdrawals likely to be 840 841 842 843 & 804. Even if 491-493 go to T depot, it may not be before the new year.

Snorzac

I don't think 842 is going anywhere any time soon, if so, what was the point of sticky a brand new ISRI drivers seat in?

Snorzac

Everyone please note: As we are not permitted to take any standers, if you do not RSVP you risk been left behind. All guests on the tour must join the tour with in the confines of the ACT and leave the tour with in the ACT. These restrictions are put in place by ACTION and are not negotiable.

Snorzac

To cater for some interstate vistors the tour will now start 30 minutes later than planned to allow people to catch the coach from Sydney.

Itinerary in first post ammended to reflect this.

Snorzac

A bit of an update, we have booked the group in for a tour of Rail Heritage Museum, this will come at an extra cost of $8per adult and $5 for each child/pensioner.

jaredmill

Which platform will the tour pick up from at City Interchange?

King of Buses

Snorzac

Snorzac

Due to regrettable circumstances beyond our control this tour will not be going ahead in an ACTION BUS.

Members are asked to vote on what Deanes transit group bus they would like to take on the tour, a poll will be added later in the day.

Because of this change there will be a few minor detail changes:
Price: This price will now vary depending in numbers. The more we get the cheaper it is.
Pickup/Dropoff: the tour can now be joined at any of the points mentioned in the itinerary.

Bus Choices: (can't add a poll from the phone)
Transborder B7R/cb50
Leyland Lynx (my choice)
Volvo B6BLE
Mercedes 0405NH
Transborder 0500RF (coach)

Snorzac

For those concerned about price:
20-25 people-$30
35 people-$20
40 people-$17

Barry Drive

Bus 400

This tour isn't cursed is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

Snorzac

Carrie

Trevor and I [Carole] will be coming. Other retirees are either too unwell or away at the time. Looking forward to going to the train museum at Goulburn.

route56

So.... if we take the Leyland, we will be following up a 670 tour with a 671 tour ?

that should clinch it i reckon.

Busnerd

Oooh Lleyland. Complete with slanted in drivers window!

Bidgee

I'm interested but I would need to work out on getting to Canberra and place to stay which depends on my budget.

Snorzac

Earlier today we gained comfirmation of the booking for the charter. The bus will (except in the case it is mechanically unsound) be the Leyland Lynx.

smitho

A 'wet' charter I presume? (ie, with driver?)

route56

The history of ex-ACTION 671

From Ian Cooper via email:

The Leyland Lynx B60 was framed by Leyland in England and panelled and fitted out by Boltons in Perth as a demonstrator bus for JRA. The interior fit out was to Perth MTT standards and the MTT's requirement for evaporative colling resulted in the large roof pod being fitted. Thirty nine MTT seats were fitted.

As part of the tour around likely customers for the Lynx (replacing the National) chassis PO 2 arrived in Canberra from Perth on 28 April 1985 for evaluation. The bus was then repainted into ACTION livery, temporarily registered ZIB671 and entered service at Belconnen depot on 18 June. Unfortunately mechanical problems plagued the bus, notably the Hydracyclic gearbox. This Leyland.gearbox was replaced at Kingston workshop by a Voith D851.2 and re-entered service on 23 August. There was a considerable improvement in the performance of the bus. The Lynx then went to the Sydney Bus Show as a Leyland exhibit at the end of August.

The Lynx was returned by ACTION to JRA on 31 October 1985.

Little interest was shown by other operators and the Lynx spent most of the next two years in storage in Melbourne. Then, in August 1987 the centre door was removed in Melbourne and the seating capacity increased from 39 to 45. The bus was then bought by Doug Lever. Its first permanent registration, ACT MO 14, occured on 30 August 1987 and it was  numbered 114 in the Lever fleet.

After the acquisition of the Lever bus fleet by Deane's in 1992 the Lynx was numbered 62 and it was the first bus to carry DBL fleet names. The evaporative cooling roof pod was removed and the roof rebuilt by ACTION on 30 July 1993. A new front, below the windscreen, was built by Everlast after an accident in Kingston in August 1995 while on route 830..

The bus remains in service with Deane's.

Ian G. Cooper
16 December 2011

Snorzac

I must regrettably inform everyone that I have just recieved a call from Deanes Transit Group informing us that the Lynx will not be available on the tour due to their workshop manager not wanting it to go past Bungandore. Unfortunately a bus swap will not be possible.

Because of this the tour will be conducted in DTG 133 (Volvo B6BLE), we will endeavor to hold a Deanes Depot Visit Tour in the new year where the Lynx will be taken out.