New street names

Started by Barry Drive, February 22, 2010, 12:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

Due to changes in planning within Gungahlin Town Centre, some streets have been re-designed and re-named.

(1) What used to be Ernest Cavanagh St (at Crinigan Circle, near Magnet Mart) is now Franz Bormann Close - this street will connect with Gundaroo Dr with a slip lane to Anthony Rolfe Av.

(2) Gribble St between Gozzard St and Kate Crace St (at the back of The Marketplace) is now Efkarpidis St.

(3) Gribble St will now extend northwards and intersect with Gundaroo Dr instead of Bruning St which now ends at Gozzard St.

But Gungahlin Place has not been renamed despite there being an untrafficable portion between Ernest Cavangah and Anthony Rolfe.

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Martin on February 22, 2010, 12:16:02 PM

(2) Gribble St between Gozzard St and Kate Crace St (at the back of The Marketplace) is now Efkarpidis St.
Ya Whaaaaaaaa?

Buzz Killington

Geez, they're really stretching for names nowadays..

Quote from: Martin on February 22, 2010, 12:16:02 PM
But Gungahlin Place has not be renamed

Oh, my!  :mono:

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Buzz Killington
Geez, they're really stretching for names nowadays..
Oh yeah, I noticed that when they first named a few streets in the suburb of Gungahlin a few years ago:
- Parsley St
- Lavender Ln
- Lizard Ln
- Whiskers Ln
- Moonlight Av
- Glow Worm Gr
- Pixie Ln
- Thistle Ln
- Wiard St
And I can't go on without mentioning 'Orana Ln'
I could go on.......

Oh, and before anyone states the obvious, yes, I know they're named after things, but still, scraping the bottom of the barrell, are we?

Buzz Killington

Nah, those ones are alright.  Particularly Glow Worn Grove (Not Gloworm Gr, ACT Govt sign maker..)

I have noted a recent trend of using full names rather than just the surname these days. Probably a good idea, really.

At the risk of turning this into general streetname discussion, whats the deal with streets changing names? There's a few in Franklin (Minnie Bruce St changed to.. Morris West St or something like that), and in Harrison (Can't recall the names but it comes off Turtle Rock St). There was a few in Palmerston where the street type changed too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on February 22, 2010, 08:06:19 PM
Oh yeah, I noticed that when they first named a few streets in the suburb of Gungahlin a few years ago:
- Parsley St
- Lavender Ln
- Lizard Ln
- Whiskers Ln
- Moonlight Av
- Glow Worm Gr
- Pixie Ln
- Thistle Ln
- Wiard St (sic)
And I can't go on without mentioning 'Orana Ln'

They are all streets in HARRISON, except Wizard Street - which is named after James Gillespie (1844 - 1974) who was a columnist for the Goulburn Evening Penny Post writing under the name "The Wizard". Streets in Harrison are named after geographical features of Australia. And it's ORARA Lane, not Orana.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 22, 2010, 08:12:42 PM
Nah, those ones are alright.  Particularly Glow Worn Grove (Not Gloworm Gr, ACT Govt sign maker..)

There was a few in Palmerston where the street type changed too.
Was that the sound of a stone being thrown in a glass house?
:mono:

Yes, Minnie Bruce became Morris West and Wilpena St, Harrison became Flagstone St. I am not aware of any changes in Palmerston apart from Kosciusko Av being renamed Kosciuszko Av (for obvious reasons); you're not thinking about The Valley Way being changed to The Valley Av are you? I still don't understand why Wells Station Dr was renamed Well Station Dr.

Buzz Killington

Note to self: always check own post for spelling errors when pointing out those made by somebody else!

And Palmerston was incorrect - I was thinking of Ngunnawal. There's a few along Jabbanungga Av - Here's one where Iterra Pl changed to Iterra Gr (bit hard to make out on streetview)

Irisbus Rider

Orara, it is too, I'll blame a quick glance at Google Maps on that. And yes, of course, it is Harrison, opposed to 'Gungahlin'. Thanks for the info there Martin.

There are a few obscure street names in Casey, some indian names stood out the most to me....

Barry Drive

Quote from: Irisbus Rider on February 24, 2010, 10:44:29 AM
There are a few obscure street names in Casey, some indian names stood out the most to me....
This is turning into a General street names discussion. OK, I'll bite - which ones are 'Indian' names, I didn't notice any on the ACTPLA website.

Irisbus Rider

I looked it up, and it's actually an 'Indonesian' name;
- 'SUDRADJAT STREET'

Buzz Killington

Was the signage for Old Well Station Rd updated only recently, or have I just never taken much notice of it?

Quote from: MyWay on February 23, 2010, 12:44:39 PM
I still don't understand why Wells Station Dr was renamed Well Station Dr.

These roads commemorate the historic Well Station Homestead. The homestead was named after the single 'well' on the property.
The homestead became known as Wells Station, an error that has been perpetuated over time.

Buzz Killington

Was just updating some school services on ACT Bus for changes coming in next week and part of Route 613 caught my eye:

LEFT Clunies Ross St
CONTINUE Lady Denman Dr
RIGHT Forest Dr
LEFT Tuggeranong Parkway

A search on Google Maps confirms that Forest Drive is in fact the road that runs between Lady Denman Drive and the Arboretum (the newer one, and appears to continue as a track within the arboretum). Given that no other routes feature Forest Dr in their listings, and that I've never seen a sign referring to this road as Forest Dr before, can we assume that this is a recent naming?

lukeo25

According to my 2002 gregorys street map for Canberra its named Forest Drive , so its not a new name but my 1989 copy does not have a name on it for said location.

Buzz Killington

The first road into Jacka off Roden Cutler Dr now has its sign up - Appleford Avenue.

ajw373

At least no double barrel names, but not sure what is that interesting about them. As you know all Canberra suburbs have themes, this one is clearly themed around Lawson and the time he lived.

Buzz Killington

First few names for Moncrieff have been released, with streets named for Slim Dusty, Chrissy Amphlett and Johnny O'Keefe (among others)

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2014-244/current/pdf/2014-244.pdf

smitho

Be interesting to know what the suburb name, "Denman Prospect" refers to.

Denam presumably is after Lady Denman or Lord Denman...but the "Prospect" bit is a unusual.

Buzz Killington

From memory they added the 'Prospect' to differentiate it from a suburb named Denman elsewhere in the country (like that's been a problem in the past..)

smitho

Yes, I can see your point. May be it is also a bit of a marketing ploy to emphasise the views that will be available from blocks in the new suburb (which is on some of the elevated ground towards Coppin's Crossing).....a bit like the use of the unofficial term "Narrabundah Heights" which refers to the elevated bits of Narrabundah near Rocky Knoll.

ajw373

Wiki is our friend in the case. It states the reason for Prospect in the suburb name is:

"The use of the suffix 'prospect' meaning view, vision or the outlook for the future, is considered significant in the context of the naming of Canberra by Lady Denman and Lord Denman's ensuing visionary speech for the future of the capital."

Though of course the source of this quote no longer links.

smitho

Ah, very good....all makes sense now. Quite an imaginative label. Thanks ajw.

When I was a toddler, I used to catch the tram to Prospect, an inner suburb of Adelaide. Like D-P, it has sweeping views down on to the Plains below. Another tram out that way could take me to Paradise, a suburb now served by buses using the O-Bahn.

Buzz Killington

The small road at the intersection of Anne Clark and Kelleway Avenues in Nicholls (sportsground access from memory) has been named Colbert Close, for sportsman Gregory Colbert.

The name Swinburne Circuit (Mitchell) has been revoked recently. It was planned to be at the back of Dacre Street: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/1997-189/current/pdf/1997-189.pdf

Bus 400

Finally, that entrance road has been a driveway for years.
Going by how small the warehouses there are, there wouldn't of been much room for a circuit between Dacre Street & Gungahlin Drive.

smitho

Will be interesting to see if the name of the eastern portion of Dairy (Flat) Road survives the current reconstruction work associated with Majura Parkway.

The western portion (past the Wetlands) should be safe.

Buzz Killington

I'm fairly sure the western portion had its name revoked a while ago - they just didn't change the sign on the roundabout.

Edit: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2014-19/current/pdf/2014-19.pdf

smitho

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 04, 2014, 09:58:51 PM
I'm fairly sure the western portion had its name revoked a while ago - they just didn't change the sign on the roundabout.

Edit: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2014-19/current/pdf/2014-19.pdf

Ah, that's interesting. So only the short eastern section retains the Dairy name....would be a pity if it was scrubbed altogether.

Dairy Flat Road used to be in the headlines fairly often in the 70s and 80s, as its low lying bridge over the Molonglo was prone to flooding - so cutting direct access to the airport from the southside.

Buzz Killington

Mount Majura Road has been formally declared, as has new access road, Lime Kiln Road http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2014-290/current/pdf/2014-290.pdf

Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington

Not strictly a new name, but Veryard Lane has been declared in Belconnen, as a small road behind the new development on the corner of College St and Eastern Valley Way.

Veryard Close was previously a street off Emu Bank between that road and Chandler Street, where the apartment blocks were built a year or two ago.

Skitube

Buzz Killington

The access road for Ikea (from the roundabout at Majura Rd/Spitfire Av) has been named Meddhung Road

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2015-212/current/pdf/2015-212.pdf

Barry Drive

A section of what may have been Braybrooke St in Bruce has been renamed Podium Way. It is the road that links Braybrooke and Leverrier Streets.

However, I can find no determination to support the name change, and the street location on ACTMapi does not match the road sign. Odd.

Buzz Killington

One for Macquarie: the existing road from Bowman St into the Jamison carpark (behind the new development on the corner of Redfern St) has been named Henshall Way: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2017-3/current/pdf/2017-3.pdf

King of Buses

Just saw this on the Denman Prospect FB page...so, I thought I'd take a look at the Legislation Register.

Sure enough, look what was published today...

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/di/2017-21/current/pdf/2017-21.pdf

I quite like Eureka Way!