914 in Accident

Started by Buzz Killington, February 25, 2008, 01:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

ACT BUS has learnt that Bus 914 has been involved in a fairly major crash in the Belconnen suburb of Holt this morning.

The entire front of the bus is smashed in after colliding with a tree and power box. I'm told the damage is fairly major and quote "the ACTION tow truck is here, but i'm not sure how they'll tow it, cuz there's nothing to hold onto". Early reports indicate the bus could be a write-off

No word on the condition of the driver. The one passenger safely exited through the rear window.

Photos to follow later today

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Todd Milton in MSN Conversation
Safely exited through the rear window? Fuck that shit, way to high. I would've been up there with the hanky screaming 'yo hoo mr fireman!'

Sir Pompously

Thanks Ryan, now everyone knows I would be a Damsel in Distress in this kind of situation.

I think she will be a write off, even though ACTION Cannot afford to loose more buses. I telephoned one Mathew Barber who was on the scene of the Accident who stated he is trying to get video footage of the salvage efforts, however If I was ACTION I would just leave it there overnight and the bus would be gone by morning. They could reclaim their items a month later when the idiots try and sell the parts on Ebay.

CanberraTransport

QuoteAn ACTION bus driver has been taken to hospital after hitting a tree in north-west Canberra.

The driver was trapped in the wreckage on Beaurepaire Crescent in Holt for about an hour.

He has been taken to the Canberra Hospital with minor injuries.

A passenger on the bus was not injured.

- ABC News

CanberraTransport

WIN just had an update... complete with footage of the aftermath. The front was absolutely smashed.

Busnerd

I'm surprised WIN got footage, they must've been and gone before we got there, im just editing my photos for postage now.

joshula

Busnerd

I first heard about this on 104 saying there had been a pretty nasty accident, and that details would be broadcast as they got them. Anyway im listening later and i heard people talking about it, then i put my radio on, and they say its near the holt shops, so by chance i was on a 43 and john got on it, so we got off and walked up the street, and we weren't prepared for the scene that layed ahead. Prior to us getting there, the driver had to be cut free from the bus after having the steering wheel pin him down, there was apparently one passenger on the bus who escaped through the emergency push out back window which was later recovered and placed inside the bus intact.

These are pretty distressing images so all simons please turn away.

joshula

Busnerd do you know what time when accident is happening?

Busnerd

Irisbus Rider

Lol, that door :P

Poor 914, it went pretty well.....

As for salvaging the bus, I bags the Renault and Ansair badge, ha ha.

Sir Pompously

I've got the MACK Badge and Side Desto :P Anyone want that door? lol. I hope the driver has a speedy release from hospital, but its amazing the injuries were not serious. I don't think 914 will be going anywhere soon, or anywhere again.

Busnerd

Well considering they scrapped 797 for parts and it was not as bad as this, I think this may suffer the same fate,

i think we should remove 914 from the fleet lists..

R.I.P. 914...

O305

If a Scania was in the same scenario I bet they'd repair it, but being an old PR100.2 high floor I doubt they would, as it'd only have a few years left, and they're getting new buses anyway.

Irisbus Rider

Busnerd

just because your depot decides to ride/write/right/ off buses doesnt mean we have to give you our buses to cover that void.

bubzie

Busnerd

Concerned locals were out in force in holt, incluing concerned commuters, who took time out of their busy 'running a finger up and down a timetable then checking their watch and pointing at the next service at that stop and sighing' schedual to talk to us today.

This concerned commuter missed his first CiT class of the day, there was no reason we could think of why his bus didnt turn up, none at all..

Bus 400

914 looks just as bad as that artic Eastern Valley Way pic on the ACT Retired Transport Emplyee's website. I am just wondering wether anyone knows how the accident happened? There doesn't appear to be any skid marks, but I can't see a pic in the busses resting place.

It looks like 914 will be the first bus to be replaced with a new MAN bus. Although we may see 914 in a few months with a patch up job, as I think 713 still has its front attached.

bubzie

Canberra times has an article about it on page 3 today.

And they've got a pretty gruesome photo of it as well..

Irisbus Rider

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 26, 2008, 12:17:18 AM
914 looks just as bad as that artic Eastern Valley Way pic on the ACT Retired Transport Emplyee's website. I am just wondering wether anyone knows how the accident happened? There doesn't appear to be any skid marks, but I can't see a pic in the busses resting place.

It looks like 914 will be the first bus to be replaced with a new MAN bus. Although we may see 914 in a few months with a patch up job, as I think 713 still has its front attached.
713? What?

All the MAN's will go to Tuggeranong, they're CNG buses.

And Busnerd, it's all your responsibility to give us your buses to write off, ha ha.

Buzz Killington

I think he means 703. If i remember correctly, 703 was stuffed after a driver managed to blow up the gear box or something. It has since been used for parts, hence why the bellows are missing.

As for 914 being "replaced" by a MAN bus.. it all depends on whether they're planning to sell off any more PR100.2 Mk1's once the new MAN's arrive in a few months time.

Buzz Killington

so who thinks this'll be scrapped for parts? it looks like the bus is fine past the first window, and Carrie's fotopic has some photos of buses damaged just as badly which have come back into service

Irisbus Rider

Well, a source says this will definately be used for parts, as 703 has been.

And when we get the MAN's, another source says that no buses will be sold off even then. Additional buses are required for this new network.

Busnerd

Heres the plans.

914 - Scrapped for parts
703 - May re-enter service down the track
990/991 will come back into service soon
320/321/322 will return to tuggeranong
870? will be sent to belconnen
374 - 391 will arrive at tuggeranong, and i assume 18 pr100.2's will go to belconnen to even things up.

not sure which ones though.

Buzz Killington

seems a waste to scrap 914.. oh well.

heh, after all those years of seeing belconnen get the majority of the .3's while we were stuck with the .2's, tuggers is getting all the new buses

Busnerd

They said in T.A. that something like 50 buses will get racks this year...so i hope its not the .3's but im thinking it will be them and the MANs

Buzz Killington

Bus 400

Quote from: Busnerd on February 28, 2008, 06:17:54 PM
They said in T.A. that something like 50 buses will get racks this year...so i hope its not the .3's but im thinking it will be them and the MANs

So replace MAN's with MAN's.

Buzz Killington

Sir Pompously

Yeah I am totally lost, and I am not talking about the show. The Dart's deserve the Racks, the .3's have a lovely European front that cannot be compared, and should never have an ugly yellow piece of metal added onto the front of it.

Buzz Killington

couldnt agree more

we should have a LOST thread

Irisbus Rider

Yeah, What?

I say lets keep Belconnen Diesel, and Tugg CNG.

Belconnen should get all the 100.2's, the Iris' and the 180.2 MkII's.
Tuggeranong should get the 180.2 MkI's, 100.3s, Darts, Scanias and the MANs.

That would work well IMO.

Buzz Killington

hey, dont give us the friggin darts

Irisbus Rider

Well, no-one wants them, but someone has to have them.
We can't run every bus we don't like into a tree.....

Buzz Killington

half each then!

nah the darts are ok. I had one for my arvo school bus in 98, they're underrated. the Irises are worse

Bus 400

Quote from: Ryan on February 28, 2008, 07:16:18 PM
what?
Quote from: Todd Milton on February 28, 2008, 08:49:02 PM
Yeah I am totally lost, and I am not talking about the show.
Busnerd suggested that they replace the MAN Buses. But aren't these new buses meant to be MAN Buses anyway.

Irisbus Rider

I thought he said they'll put bike racks on the MANs?

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Bus 400 on February 28, 2008, 11:29:36 PM
Busnerd suggested that they replace the MAN Buses. But aren't these new buses meant to be MAN Buses anyway.

Where did he say that?

Bus 400

Ok. I thought that was a way of saying that they'll go.

Busnerd

Ok, what the hell are you talking about.

I said, ACTION plans to install about 50 new bike racks this year.
The 18 MANs will get them and i was wondering what other buses will get them.

I dont know why you think we are replacing non existant MANs with other Non Existant MANs and why john is going on about transferring buses.

Bus 400

I thought that some of those Renaults were MAN's, like ACTION has had.

Carrie

Here is a photo of where the 914 now resides awaiting its fate. Its at the back of the Belconnen bus depot workshop. [Just behind 703]

Jack Bauer

Irisbus Rider

Still a shock to the system seeing that...

Busnerd

lol, i see 994 is there.

I got photos of it being towed on friday night in civic.

I was told something to do with the diff snapped and it has to have that rebuilt now.

Buzz Killington

what's 345 doing out the back of Belco workshops??

Irisbus Rider

It's been sounding like crap for a while, plus there's some minor damage up the front, probably repairing it.....

O305

Quote from: Renault Rider on February 28, 2008, 08:51:14 PM
Yeah, What?

I say lets keep Belconnen Diesel, and Tugg CNG.

Belconnen should get all the 100.2's, the Iris' and the 180.2 MkII's.
Tuggeranong should get the 180.2 MkI's, 100.3s, Darts, Scanias and the MANs.

That would work well IMO.
That would never work, heard of wheelchair access? You can't have the entire low floor fleet minus 2 buses at one depot, they have an obligation to run low floor buses, so they should be spread evenly between depots, but Tuggeranong IMO should have slightly more as T depot runs most 3xx trips.

Buzz Killington

i think you mean minus 20 buses