621 - next Scania K360UA

Started by Murray, February 10, 2017, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murray

On the fleet wiki it said bus 621 will be the last one delivered in the Scania K360UA artics. How come their buying another one and how come there is not much known about it. Maybe they did this so they can have a artic in the new 'TC blue' livery.

This post has been modified because it was not clear enough.

Barry Drive

Nowhere does it state it's the "last artic". It's an additional one, certainly.

Quote from: Murray on February 10, 2017, 01:08:07 PM
how come there is not much known about it.

What's to know. You've got the Bus number, the make and the expected delivery date. How much more do you want? (Rhetorical question.)

[Also: since you have changed the wording of the message after someone else has replied - edits in this topic have now been disabled to prevent anyone from doing so again. I hope you're happy.]

Sylvan Loves Buses

Livery is currently unknown, but there will be one more Euro 6 design Scania Artic for the current fleet. With that one, it should make the total no. of artics the same as it was back when all the Renaults were in service

Sir Pompously

Quote from: Murray on February 10, 2017, 01:08:07 PM
Maybe they did this so they can have a artic in the new 'TC blue' livery.
Yes, I am sure they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a brand new bus simply to have a articulated vehicle in the new livery. I mean, it wouldn't be cheaper at all to just.... I dunno, paint up a current bus.

They have bought an extra artic because it is required. They don't just buy buses because they feel like it, they buy them to meet their needs.

Murray

Quote from: Sir Pompously on February 10, 2017, 10:13:43 PM
Yes, I am sure they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a brand new bus simply to have a articulated vehicle in the new livery. I mean, it wouldn't be cheaper at all to just.... I dunno, paint up a current bus.

They have bought an extra artic because it is required. They don't just buy buses because they feel like it, they buy them to meet their needs.

I ment that as an idea sort of, what dosn't make sense is the fact that 539 wasn't an artic.

triumph

The puzzle (at least to me) is what criteria were used to determine that another articulated bus was needed? The existing ones seem to turn up quite randomly. Are there then, certain services (probably peak hour or school) that are dedicated articulated bus runs due to need? If this was the case, then one might expect them regularly (not randomly) on the other runs the driving shifts include. This conundrum also applies to the high capacity tag steer buses. 

aidenh37

Quote from: triumph on February 10, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
The puzzle (at least to me) is what criteria were used to determine that another articulated bus was needed? The existing ones seem to turn up quite randomly. Are there then, certain services (probably peak hour or school) that are dedicated articulated bus runs due to need? If this was the case, then one might expect them regularly (not randomly) on the other runs the driving shifts include. This conundrum also applies to the high capacity tag steer buses.
Yes, there are some runs which are required to be articulated, such as school route 625.

High capacity buses just seem to be badly timed, as it's always the small buses that get full and there's never an artic in sight!

Part of the problem is bus bunching and the dedication for customers to get on the first bus, no matter how busy - why can't they just move to the artic behind?

Murray

621 might not even be used on regular routes, it might possibly just used for charters like 986.

King of Buses

Quote from: Murray on February 11, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
621 might not even be used on regular routes, it might possibly just used for charters like 986.

What is the point of ordering a brand new bus if it is to just sit around in a shed all day? It would have been easier for them to just have kept 986 if that is what they needed the artic for solely.

Buzz Killington

^ this.

There's also the fact that they have no spare artics in the current fleet. There's essentially been no increase in the number of artics in the active fleet form many years.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Quote from: Buzz KillingtonThere's essentially been no increase in the number of artics in the active fleet form many years.

I read most of that article you posted to one of my inquiries, so by that do you mean with the time of the Renaults replacing the MAN/Mercedes? Cause I remember it said at some point the total fleet dropped by about 50 or so buses around that time.

King of Buses

Quote from: Buzz Killington on February 11, 2017, 06:36:27 PM
There's also the fact that they have no spare artics in the current fleet. There's essentially been no increase in the number of artics in the active fleet form many years.

This isn't just my artic loving self talking here, but to be honest they could do with another 5 or so artics on top of 621 - the number of times there have been shortages of artics (let alone buses in general) is an issue especially on school runs or big event charters (ANZAC day especially). They probably should've kept the Mark II PR180.2s in service for a few more years than they did for this sort of thing (and replaced them about now-ish).

Bus 400

Bhs 621 was dropped off late last night to Tuggeranong Depot, it just beat the floods. Apparently it doesn't look too bad for the first Bustech artic.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

I do believe it's the new Bustech BDi, rather than a Scania K360UA.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Huh, well that was quick - esp since we now have to wait longer for the AVASS buses :popping:

hmm, may as well, if anyone's seen it, now that I know it's a bustech, does it look anything like this?

stephend723

I don't thinks it's a scania at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Busnerd

I have it on good authority that it is a Volgren and not a Bustech as Bustech do not make articulated vehicles. It would also make sense as it could double as a demonstrator for ACTION/TC to evaluate it to decide if their next order for rigids will be Volgren or Bustech.

Plus the Volgren design would look amazing in TC livery.

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Busnerd on April 02, 2017, 01:07:51 AM
I have it on good authority that it is a Volgren and not a Bustech as Bustech do not make articulated vehicles. It would also make sense as it could double as a demonstrator for ACTION/TC to evaluate it to decide if their next order for rigids will be Volgren or Bustech.

Plus the Volgren design would look amazing in TC livery.
I can't say I've rode a Volgren but their exterior design is far superior to Bustech (whose outside design I quite dislike, particulary the placement of the head and tail lights and the rear bumper). It would be nice to see Volgren in ACTION's fleet

Busnerd

Here's an interior shot of a pov spec Volgren. The Optimus design hasn't changed much at all, the back row of seats is higher up and a few other minor differences in the new design but it's mostly the same.

Sylvan Loves Buses

Geez, what is it with the lack of rear bus windows now days...

Snorzac

Why do you need one?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Busfanatic101

Quote from: Snorzac on April 02, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
Why do you need one?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
To look through it - not that you'll find me anywhere near the back of the bus if I can help it

Barry Drive

For real this time: 621 was delivered from Melbourne today.

It is a Euro VI Scania (K360UA) and it is in TC blue livery. And yes, Volgren Optimus body.

King of Buses

621 entered service this afternoon. It's currently running a route 743.

Sylvan Loves Buses

So, would i be right in guessing it has the TC livery?

Busfanatic101

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on July 29, 2017, 04:04:20 AM
So, would i be right in guessing it has the TC livery?
Guessing?

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 30, 2017, 10:11:07 AM
... and it is in TC blue livery.