Woden Bus Station - upgrade announced

Started by Barry Drive, May 20, 2015, 09:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Drive

While no dates have been given, CM Barr has released details of the redevelopment of the "western end" of Woden BS.

The steps and ramps up to the square, as well as the toilet block, snake pit and the old snack bar and control room will be demolished. In their place will be an open plaza with a wide stairway and a passenger lift.

Barry Drive

Woden Valley Community Council have tweeted:

QuoteWestfield extension is on the back-burner! ... Will need a new plan if Westfield doesn't proceed

So this confirms that work is limited to the snakepit area, and that the demolition will not extend beyond platform 3/16 at this stage.

King of Buses

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 20, 2015, 04:51:04 PM
Which also confirms the demolition will not extend beyond platform 3/16 at this stage.

YES!!! What about Plat 1, 2, 17 and 18?
And I wonder how they plan to have access to the rest of the interchange during demolition and construction works...hmm (crossing at Bradley near Plat 7? Or over near Bowes St linking into 16 or down near 11?)

Bus 400

You could create a walkway across the old Police Station. I have a sneaky suspicion that the road will be altered anyway.

Barry Drive

Quote from: King of Buses on May 20, 2015, 06:03:08 PM
YES!!! What about Plat 1, 2, 17 and 18?

Um: what about them?

No doubt they'll stage the work to reduce disruption. The stairs beside the Cosmopolitan Building (at pl 17) will remain unaffected - this may become the main thoroughfare to the square during construction.

How disabled / bike access will be provided is another matter.

Also sounds as though Exceloos will be installed somewhere on Bowes St. This may (should) be the first thing done.

Development application not yet publicly available.

Barry Drive

Development application is now available for viewing.

To answer some questions:

- during construction, disabled access will be via the Cosmopolitan Centre lift between 6am and 11pm
- platforms 1, 2, 17 & 18 will be closed during the construction period
- a new platform "19" will be located in the current cutout/layover area on Bowes St, replacing 17 & 18
- platform 16 will be moved slightly eastwards
- platforms 1 and 2 will relocate to platform 7
- platform 3 departures will move to platform 4
- existing roadway around platforms 1, 2 and 17 will be used for pedestrian movement
- a temporary roadway will be built for access from Bradley Street
- the existing stairs (Woden Centre) will be retained, although they may later be blocked off
- the "communications room" (next to the old kiosk) will not be demolished
- new public toilets will be located somewhere near platform 19
- overhead structure will remain to back of platform 3
- Development Application is solely for the "snakepit area" - no mention of whether the steps near platform 4/5 will be removed or fenced off

Barry Drive

For those who haven't seen this on facebook, plan of temporary access arrangements during demolition / construction:

Bus 400

From the Woden Community Council meeting.  The Exeloo will be installed in August 2015.
Proceed with demolition by December 2015.
Work to be finalised by August 2016.

Barry Drive

Any reports on whether / when the Woden (Churches) Centre will modify its layout? Based on what's currently there, access from the rear fire exit will be blocked by the fencing.

Barry Drive

Work on installing the Exceloo appears to be under way (at the Bowes St/Bowes Pl intersection).

A temporary fence has gone up at the old police station as well - so construction of the temporary access road may be starting soon.

Buzz Killington

Quote from: Barry Drive on August 05, 2015, 11:45:21 AM
Work on installing the Exceloo appears to be under way (at the Bowes St/Bowes Pl intersection).

Right where they plan to connect Bowes St to the interchange again. Smart.

Barry Drive

I'm not sure where it's going in exactly. The location of the current works suggests it will be located beside the Bowes Pl intersection.

This should keep it away from the planned extention of Bowes St into the current carpark.

Barry Drive

As posted on twitter: work to build the temporary access road is underway.

Bus 400

A tender has been released for the demolition work & installation of lift & stairs. Some work will be carried during Christmas shutdown (28/12/15-08/01/16) & some different work during school holiday's.

Barry Drive

The temporary access road on Bradley St is complete (or nearly complete).

There is a road closure next weekend for a "Crane Lift" at Bowes Place. This may or may not be related to the installation of the Exceloo at that location.

Busfanatic101

ACTION have announced that Platforms 1, 2, and 3 will be closed from next Monday for the next part of the Woden Bus Station upgrade. The ACTION email alert contains a summary of changes as below.

QuoteWoden Bus Station Refurbishment - Changes to Bus Operations

ACTION passengers travelling through the Woden Bus Station will note the closure of platforms and changes to service departure locations from Monday 30 November. This is to accommodate for construction work as part of the Woden Bus Station refurbishment project.

Changes from Monday 30 November include:

Platforms 1, 2 and 3 will be closed for the duration of the works.
Platform 4 will used for AM school services 416, 844 and 863 only and will become set down only for all other times.
The Route 1 northbound will now depart from Platform 10 in an effort to reduce congestion through the bus station.
Platform 18 will now be used for Routes 26, 27, 80, 88, 732 and 749 on weekday and 926 and 927 on weekends.
Q-City/Transborder services will now use the new Platform 19.

You can view the updated Woden Bus Station Map or read more about the Woden Bus Station refurbishment on the ACT Government website.

Buzz Killington

The Exceloo is in place on Bowes Street.

Sylvan Loves Buses

And the work has started, and the new road is Open!
I went by yesterday to have a look as I was going home, looks pretty crazy, but I'm sure the result will be better than before.
Noticed a new shelter on the new Plt. 19, quite a mess with the metal fences around Pl. 1-3...
But there's still something that is stumping me. Out of all the mess, why the hell has route 1 been moved to Plt. 10? doesn't seem right, why just that one route and not others?

Buzz Killington

The move was to ease congestion on the previous platform from memory.

Sylvan Loves Buses

is that because of the poorly developed timings of when all the buses that leave from that platform all go at the same times during rush/peak hours?

Buzz Killington

Most likely.

Meanwhile, stairs are being installed near Platform 1 today.

Sylvan Loves Buses

(please tell me if this is the wrong place to post)

Just passed by the ramp in the bus on the way home just now, and already the ramp and stairs are gone :popping: , they certainly took their time to demolish the police station, but it looks like they're not gonna waste any on the new access way.
Just a quick question, what's happening upstairs? As in above Plt. 5,14, cause I noticed they put a fence there, is the roof coming down, or the stairs being removed or something??

Barry Drive

Refer above for answer about the platform 5/14 stairs.

Quote from: Barry Drive on May 29, 2015, 01:02:54 PM

- overhead structure will remain to back of platform 3
- Development Application is solely for the "snakepit area" - no mention of whether the steps near platform 4/5 will be removed or fenced off

Bus 400

It was mentioned in the tender/contract that the bulk of the demolition  must be done during the Christmas Shutdown.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Barry Drive

Ramp and stairs are gone? No -- there is no plan to remove any stairs. Ramp is partly demolished, or covered in rubble.

The plan was to remove the overhead between platforms 16 & 17 on the weekend. Which has been done.

Looking again at the plans (above), there won't be any further demolition east of the old control room / kiosk.

And for those who've not seen it, there's a time lapse video of the work done on the weekend.

Or: http://youtu.be/pVjvYo7TeSw

Barry Drive

To further answer the question, the stairs near platform 5 have now been enclosed in a chain-link cage, with a padlocked gate.

I'd say that's the permanent solution.

Barry Drive

Work on the plaza area is well-advanced. Stairs are built, lights have gone in and pavers are almost fully laid.

Hard to tell about progress with the lift, since it's been enclosed in plywood for a while now.

Can't be too long now before this area is opened back up.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I happened to hear the workers talk about something being wrong with the lift as I was passing by the other day, only a minor issue, but in the process of being fixed. And one of them said something about the chips.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Barry Drive on June 04, 2015, 10:38:33 AM
Any reports on whether / when the Woden (Churches) Centre will modify its layout? Based on what's currently there, access from the rear fire exit will be blocked by the fencing.
As (sort of) expected, a Development Application has been made for the existing stairway up to the Woden Town Square to be removed and replaced by new/expanded shops on Levels 1 & 2 of 20 Bradley Street. This change will also fix the blocked-in fire exit.

Quote from: Barry Drive on December 21, 2015, 12:57:26 PM
Looking again at the plans (above), there won't be any further demolition east of the old control room / kiosk.
Well not demolition is such, but the walls of the old walkway / interchange roof are being sliced off - since that area is no longer open to the public. Can't say yet whether they will remain as exposed concrete or if they'll install some aluminium cladding.

Photo from Monday (19 Sep):

Bus 400

According to Andrew Barr's Twitter, these works are now complete & ready to be used.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sylvan Loves Buses

Yeah, I passed by yesterday to see it all being ready to use. (still not accessible till today though - as I was told by the transport officer on duty).

No ramp though which is kind of a pain, esp for cyclists like myself - although I thought I saw a ramp in the prediction mural, unless I was thinking of some where else, oh well.
(edit - nvm, I just scrolled up to see the picture, and no ramp :( what a bum. Too bad the lift doesn't look like that either :( )

I got a couple of shots yesterday too (which I'll upload later today).

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 11, 2016, 01:22:17 PM
No ramp though which is kind of a pain, esp for cyclists like myself - although I thought I saw a ramp in the prediction mural,
Can someone else tell him - I can't do so without being rude.

Buzz Killington

There's a bicycle rail and ramp up the middle on both sides.

(Not sure what a "prediction mural" is, though)

Barry Drive

They call it a rail, but a better word might be "gutter" or "channel". And yes, it is shown in the illustration.

I'll have to take a closer look to see how (or if) the lift cage differs - from what I've seen thus far it looks like your typical outdoors lift.

Sylvan Loves Buses

I was referring to the colour of it, on the *illustration* it showed it would be a fully silver glass elevator, but it is completely black on the real thing - I'm not bothered by it though, although the slow opening doors will start to get annoying after a while. (can't wait to see the stupid criticisms i get from that opinion comment)

Quote from: Barry Drive on October 11, 2016, 02:53:57 PM
I can't do so without being rude.

You may as well, esp for how rude you've been to me since I joined a year or 2, or however long it's been, ago.

Quote from: Buzz Killington on October 11, 2016, 05:50:09 PM
There's a bicycle rail and ramp up the middle on both sides.

Is that the blue (probably isn't blue, but that's just how it looks from the angle I took it at) line just here? (first picture below)

Here are the other shots I promised too.

Barry Drive

Quote from: Sylvan Loves Buses on October 12, 2016, 09:47:46 AM
You may as well, esp for how rude you've been to me since I joined a year or 2, or however long it's been, ago.

The Love Guru

Settle down Barry, if you want rude I'm  over here!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Buzz Killington

Sylvan Loves Buses

So what's happening with platforms 1 and 2 now?
I noticed that the support transport uses plt1 which is a little odd, isn't more work suppose to be happening there now?

Buzz Killington

What's odd about the community service using Platform 1? It means users don't have to walk far to access the centre.

Sylvan Loves Buses

The fact that it's not being used by ACTION