Wooden Suburb Signs

Started by Buzz Killington, November 24, 2013, 09:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz Killington

While starting the earlier topic on the old wooden bus stop pegs being removed, I also thought of the old wooden suburb signs. While these aren't being removed, they're obviously being replaced with the metal versions when they are vandalised or knocked over.

There still seems to be a few around the place - some that come to mind are a couple on Constitution Av (Reid and Campbell), Kings Ave (Russell and Kings Park), Florey (cnr of Coulter/Ginninderra), Curtin (McCulloch St), and I think maybe Torrens has one on Athllon Drive.

I also happened across a double-sided one recently (possibly the last one?) hidden away on Moroney St between Spence and Fraser.

Would be great to get some photographic examples before they all disappear!

Barry Drive

Quote from: Buzz Killington on November 24, 2013, 09:09:36 PM
some that come to mind are a couple on Constitution Av (Reid and Campbell)

Saw that one for Reid recently. Quite surprised that it has survived, since others for Reid were converted to the Canberra 100 format. Have they missed any others (except Curtin already mentioned)?

smitho

Aranda has one (near Jamison Centre) as does Swinger Hill, Commonwealth Park and Campbell.

smitho

As I understand, the Centenary suburb signs are only installed in suburbs named after Australian prime ministers.

Other timber suburb sign survivors include:-

LYNEHAM (Northbourne Ave)

RUSSELL (Constitution Ave)

CHISHOLM (near Shops)

smitho

Then there is WARAMANGA's timber sign on Hindmarsh Drive westbound....and PIALLIGO's timber sign.

RUSSELL has three surviving timber signs, probably a record for any one suburb.

lukeo25

Chifley & Lyons also have centenary suburb signs, the Chifley ones replaced the old wooden ones and they are located on Melrose Dr near the BP Petrol Station, Hindmarsh/Melrose Dr near the traffic lights, Macfarlane Crescent coming down the hill from Pearce Shops. I'm not sure on the location of the Lyons ones but I think I saw one on Davenport St going toward the shops.

smitho

Quote from: lukeo25 on January 02, 2014, 07:41:14 PM
Chifley & Lyons also have centenary suburb signs, the Chifley ones replaced the old wooden ones and they are located on Melrose Dr near the BP Petrol Station, Hindmarsh/Melrose Dr near the traffic lights, Macfarlane Crescent coming down the hill from Pearce Shops. I'm not sure on the location of the Lyons ones but I think I saw one on Davenport St going toward the shops.

Yes, Lyons is well supplied with Centenary signs, these being
- west of Curtin Ridge on Devonport St
- Hindmarsh Drive, near Tugg Parkway overpass
- corner of Melrose Drive and Hindmarsh Drive.

Bus 400

As well as at the corner of Theodore St & Melrose Dr.

Buzz Killington

Noticed another for Florey the other day, on the corner of John Cleland and Ginninderra, tucked away in the bushes.

smitho

Another timber suburb sign survivor  -  OXLEY  - on Drakeford Drive, southbound.

Sir Pompously

Whilst not a suburb, Kings Park has (at last look) two wooden signs. The locality of Swinger Hill (already mentioned) also has wooden signs a plenty, sure they still have the ones on Hindmarsh and the big one on Ainsworth. It is a shame that they have not continued with the wooden signs over the years, they certainly look neater than the metal signs (however the new signs with the details of Prime Ministers look great, especially with the older style surround).

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on January 08, 2014, 08:32:52 AM
Whilst not a suburb, Kings Park has (at last look) two wooden signs. The locality of Swinger Hill (already mentioned) also has wooden signs a plenty, sure they still have the ones on Hindmarsh and the big one on Ainsworth. It is a shame that they have not continued with the wooden signs over the years, they certainly look neater than the metal signs (however the new signs with the details of Prime Ministers look great, especially with the older style surround).

I agree that the timber signs look far more attractive.

The metal signs were an early feature of self-government; one metal sign which didn't last long was planted on the median strip of Commonwealth Ave and for SOUTH CANBERRA; it did not replace a timber sign and had not been approved by the National Capital Planning Authority. The ACT administration was instructed by the NCPA to remove it, which they did.

smitho

FARRER is another suburb which still has (at least) two surviving wooden signs...both on Yamba Drive (facing northbound carriageway).

Buzz Killington

Bump.

We're adding suburb sign photos to the RATEC portion of the Gallery. If anyone has any photos, particularly of the wooden signs, please post them here, or on our Facebook page.