Melbourne-Sydney XPT cuts

Started by smitho, August 20, 2010, 07:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitho

All north and south XPTs will now start and end at Albury indefinitely, with connecting buses running through to Melbourne Southern Cross.

Reason? Alleged 'safety' grounds relating to the problem of mud-holes in the newly relaid standard gauge line. Mud holes develop when track drainage problems cause track instability and bring mud up through the ballast to the surface as trains pass over ...

Former broad gauge Albury line (now standardised) remains uncommissioned - was supposed to re-open in late 2009.

New Wodonga Station constructed on the new by-pass line has been completed but is yet to see a train. Groan!

Sir Pompously

Apparently they did not factor rain into the reconstruction of track along that section of line. The un-commissioned section is apparently due to arguments about signalling between the ARTC and Victoria.

smitho

Quote from: Sir Pompously on August 20, 2010, 07:37:17 PM
Apparently they did not factor rain into the reconstruction of track along that section of line. The un-commissioned section is apparently due to arguments about signalling between the ARTC and Victoria.

Yeah, I've heard that too.

(The un-commissioned line is the former broad gauge line; the mud-hole line is the original standard gauge line built by the Menzies Government in 1962 under the Wentworth Plan...it is still carrying freight trains whereas the other line has not seen any revenue traffic at all - pretty sad!).

Sir Pompously

The original standard gauge section (which is the problem) was re-sleepered concrete style, which is where the problem lies. When they re-sleepered the line they would have also had the ballast cleaner at work and relaid it all, apparently it was done 'on the cheap' and 'in a rush' which is where the mud hole problem comes into it. Can't say for sure if that is the exact problem, however that is the word going around the traps.

smitho

Yes, that's what I understand to be the case.

Bidgee

NSW side of the main line has the same issues.

This was taken at the Wagga Wagga Railway Station on 13 August.

Bidgee

Well they have now dug a small ditch but the water still lays in the same area!

smitho

With XPT services resuming south of Albury, Euroa press reports that from NEXT WEEK, the XPT will begin using what ARTC calls the 'Western Line' i.e. the former broad gauge line, now standardised.

ARTC is still busy attending to the mud-holes problem on the 'Eastern Line'.

Bus 400

I am unsure if it is possible, but for those that missed it I suggest checking out the 7:30 Report on this track. I'm currently watching it in Adelaide & it looks terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk